Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Can someone in Germany help me with wool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251764)

2+2macht4 07-27-2011 11:40 AM

Can someone in Germany help me with wool?

I have a few wool covers and I have no idea what to do. I was so excited to get these for DS. I even sold our dvd player to get them. But I do not understand what the German products do. And everything I read conflicts.

On diaperswappers I have read, handwash wool and then lanolize. Never let the wool soak or you get lanolin spots. So that is what I did before, but I never used German products. And my wool experience is pretty limited.

Disana also says not to soak the wool or machine wash.

The German instructions say to maschine wash. The wool products I have say to soak 4-6 hours to lanolize.

And I have no clue what I even have.:banghead: I wanted wool shampoo and lanolin.

I have Lanolin Wollspülung and Wollimpränierung. Neither is even wool wash?

Wollspülung says to wash wool in the maschine then let it soak in this mixed with water 3-4 hours. I understand this to mean wool conditioner, what does that mean? How often am I supposed to do this?

The wollimprägnierung says wash wool in the machine then let soak mixed with water 4-6 hours. I understand this to be the actual lanolin and only be done as needed, but the packaging says every 2-3 weeks :headscratch:

I just have no idea what to do or even what I need to do to use the wool the first time.

I am so stressed I am about to just return it and order the American wool wash and lanolin.

:cry:

kikitree 07-27-2011 05:45 PM

Re: Can someone in Germany help me with wool?

Not in Germany right not but I've lived there and I do woolies. BTW, you are going to love woolies. :)

Disana soaker doest not belong in the machine even in the hand washing setting. I speak from experience so trust me on this. Knit items generally don't do well in machines.

You don't need special wool shampoo. I've used mild organic liquid castile soap and I've even used natural dishwashing liquid like ecover to strip and they've all survived. What you want to avoid is regular laundry detergent with harsh chemicals.

As for the lanolin, you need to "condition" your woolies every 2-3 weeks or more often if your covers are no longer neutralizing the pee smell. In other words, if you have stinky soakers after they air-drying the pee out, it's time to for the lanolin. Some people say 10 min of soaking is enough, other people recommend hours. I personally think an hour is long enough. Again, you don't need special lanolin to do this. What they sell as nipple cream for breastfeeding mothers work well but Wollimprägnierung sounds like the perfect product for diaper covers.

So, step #1: wash your wool with mild soap

step #2: lanolize w/ Wollimprägnierung every 2 weeks or so. You'd notice when your woollies need a shot of lanolin. :D

Let me know if you have more questions. :)

2+2macht4 07-28-2011 12:00 AM

So then what is a lanolin conditioner?

And on a side note, one soaker has a tiny snag, only a single string, should I return it for another?

And finally, I just realized wool with different colors cannot be washed together, is it easier if you get all the same color?

kikitree 07-28-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 13446576)
So then what is a lanolin conditioner?

And on a side note, one soaker has a tiny snag, only a single string, should I return it for another?

And finally, I just realized wool with different colors cannot be washed together, is it easier if you get all the same color?

If you get lanolin alone, it's a PITA to melt it with hot water, dilute it with detergent so it doesn't get clump up, etc, etc so what you have in Wollimprägnierung is 30% lanolin "conditioner" that would put back the lanolin without all the mess and hassle. Really, it's perfect for diaper covers. :) I'd be using it myself if I could get it. It makes more sense than doing the wash with lanolin. I feel like I'm locking in all the dirt and grease instead of washing them out first.

Some woolies do bleed a lot but not all. My interlock soakers have never bled and I wash them together. So it depends on what you are getting. I toss in all my interlock with different colors into the washer and never had a problem. :goodvibes: My knit items with hand-dyed yarns, however, I'd be washing them individually. I WUB them. :giggle2:

ETA: If you can, yes, I'd exchange the soaker with a snag.

2+2macht4 07-28-2011 02:32 AM

Ok, I have a free return shipping label, so I will swap it out.

I am just worried about washing them seperate, but mine are all darker colors, browns and blues.

2+2macht4 07-28-2011 02:32 AM

Ok, I have a free return shipping label, so I will swap it out.

I am just worried about washing them seperate, but mine are all darker colors, browns and blues.

kikitree 07-28-2011 03:16 AM

Well, darker colors tend to bleed out more so. I'd try washing it separately first and see if colors indeed bleed into the water. :)

2+2macht4 07-28-2011 03:41 AM

Oh man. I am tempted to get all the same color lol.

Do you tend to lanolize at the same time? Like you would do them all at once? That seems easiest. Otherwise I have to think of when I did which one.

But I wonder if it would be confusing with all the same color.

I really have no idea what the heck I am doing lol. The only wool I ever had was a gift and used so it did not bleed or anything. And it was newborn so I only used it a few times lol.

Ugh.

kikitree 07-28-2011 01:32 PM

I know wool can be confusing but once you get used to it, you'd wonder why you didn't just stick to wool full-time, from day one. :)

I wash woolies about 3 at a time. I don't have backup PUL covers anymore so I can't wash everything at once. If you are doing Disana covers and they are all pretty dark, I'd think that even if they bleed a bit, it shouldn't matter all that much?

I'd say get at least one cover ready to go, all soft and fluffy from the lanolin. Then see if that works for you. We had to part with our Disana cover because DD refused to wear it. She pulled on it so hard, I thought she'd rip the whole thing apart. :(

queenginseng 07-29-2011 01:23 PM

I am lazy so I did wash in my front loader with shampoo on the handwash 40 C program. Then used pure lanolin to lanolize and let dry for 2 or so days.

Rewashed every few weeks or after a poop.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

Let air dry 2 or so days.

Which covers did you get? Let me know how you like them pls. I love diaper pr0n!