Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How to "talk" my baby girl into getting head down? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1252453)

Ready2Bmommy 07-28-2011 12:25 PM

How to "talk" my baby girl into getting head down?

I'm 32 weeks pg. This is my 2nd pregnancy and baby. This morning I'm pretty sure (b/c of hiccups location) that she was head down. Now, she's hiccuping in my ribs. This baby girl moves ALL.THE.TIME!

What can I do to increase the likelihood that she will be head down by time for delivery? We don't have midwives in our area, and NO one around here will do a vaginal breech delivery. So I NEED her to get into position. I know most babies do this naturally, but is there anything I can do to help this out?

TIA!:thumbsup:

smashncakes 07-28-2011 01:11 PM

Re: How to "talk" my baby girl into getting head down?

check out www.spinningbabies.com

songbird516 07-28-2011 01:17 PM

Visualization is said to help. I second the spinning babies recommendation, though. And 32 weeks is still early; it sounds like she still has enough room to move pretty easily. She will probably turn vertex and stay there within the next few weeks.

Ready2Bmommy 07-28-2011 02:53 PM

Yeah, I know it's early to be too worried with turning her. That's why I was hoping someone might have other ideas aside from spinning babies. That to me seems more like turning a breech baby. I'm not concerned yet about her being breech, just wondering if there are certain things I should do to convince her not to be. Semi-irrational fear...just been nervous from the beginning she'll be breech, and I didn't worry about this with my DS. :/

Isn't walking supposed to help?

songbird516 07-28-2011 04:08 PM

Spinning babies isn't just about turning a breech baby- it's about helping your whole body to be balanced so that the baby will be in the optimal position for birth. I went to the class for Spinning Babies, and it was stressed that the baby will stay breech if the environment (the uterus and attached ligaments) necessitates that position. The baby isn't choosing that position; it's simply the one that makes them the most comfortable. This might be because of some imbalance of twisting of the ligaments that attach the uterus to the pelvis and other parts of the skeleton. In some countries, breech births are almost unheard of; something about the lifestyle of the women, and maybe their diets just makes it so that their babies are always head-down. Gail Tully gave the example of a woman who went to a south american country (can't remember which one) and asked the midwives how they managed a birth with a baby presenting butt-first. They looked puzzled and asked how a baby could ever be born that way!? They had never seen a breech birth. I thought that was pretty interesting.

MamaCoffee 07-28-2011 04:59 PM

A webster technique trained chiropractor will also help align your spin and pelvis and release tension in the ligaments that attach your uterus to the pelvis. This also allows for the most room and optimal position for baby to be head down.

All that said, I have been going to the chiro since the beginning of my pregnancy and at 36wks just found out my baby girl is currently breech, so I have been religiously doing the suggestions on spinningbabies as well to try and get her to turn. I am still holding out hope that she'll turn and I'll get my VBAC. Good luck!

ETA, it sounds like my own experience is contradicting my suggestion for the chiro...which isn't the case! Starting next week (when my chiro is back from vacation) I will start going at least twice a week to try all I can to get this girl head down.

VeganCupcake 07-28-2011 10:29 PM

Both my babies were breech until about 32 weeks. This is what I did to encourage flipping:
  • a chiro who did the Webster technique
  • visualization (looking at drawings of vertex babies posted around home)
  • HypnoBabies Turn Your Breech Baby CD
  • Handstands and somersaults in a pool
  • Inversions
  • Sifting (having someone jiggle your belly with a rebozo while on hands and knees)

TwinKristi 07-28-2011 11:35 PM

I've had 2 late term breech babies (37 & 38wks) and they both turned on their own. I did the exercises from spinning babies and cold compress with my 3rd but that's it. He was over 9lbs two wks later so even a good sized baby can turn. My 5th was still breech at 36wks, did a version that almost worked. He flipped back breech about 30hrs later. I even had to wear an abdominal brace 24/7 to attempt to prevent him from turning but he did anyway. I had another appt at 37wks and he was vertex but not engaged so my dr induced me. He was 8lb10oz so he wasn't small either.
My current baby is breech but I'm only approaching 20wks. I'm not too worried TBH and would take whatever steps needed (if the time comes) to have a vaginal delivery.

DoulainAK 07-29-2011 01:41 AM

Babies like warm and hate cold. If u put an ice pack at the top of your belly and a heat pack (warm not hot) at the bottom. Babies will often wiggle to the warm spot and away from the cold :-)

mel j 07-30-2011 06:00 PM

Sara, that is really interesting! I'd never heard that, though I did stumble on this article a few weeks ago: http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2010...ion-of-normal/ I had always heard that doctors simply won't do breech births because they aren't trained to do them. My previous midwife had said the same thing. If a baby is born in the hospital the mother is usually on her back... which certainly does not help natural breech deliveries from what I've read.