Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   suggestions for preparing for babies close in age (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253243)

mandymatus 07-29-2011 04:43 PM

suggestions for preparing for babies close in age

any suggestions from those having babies very close in age?

i'm trying to do as much as possible to prepare for having 2 13 months apart...

tips, advice, recommendations for before and after?

hippieintraining 07-29-2011 05:14 PM

Re: suggestions for preparing for babies close in age

Mine are 16 months apart and that was too close for me! Should have been 15 months apart but DD came waaaay later than anticipated!

My only real advice is to GET HELP. Have someone take your older one for a few hours so you can catch up on sleep.

A few other things that I found helpful...
If you're nursing, set up your nursing station on the floor so you can 'play' at the same time (DS would have a meltdown when I'd nurse, then DD would cry... well, you get the picture).
Get very used to baby carriers. I had DD is a sling almost all day for the first month.
Have a place to put baby that is out of reach of the LO (a pnp or whatever). DS liked to 'help' us by putting a blanket over DD (and over her face). AH!
Have meals/snacks ready in the fridge the night before so you can quickly grab them to get going in the morning.
When going 'out', be realistic about where you are comfortable going with both kids. At 3 months, I'm still only ok going to friends houses or some parks that aren't crazy busy.
Try to take some 'me' time...I realized I was going nuts around 2 months. DD is EBFd and wouldn't take a bottle... so I'd wait until she was down for the night (DH at home, of course) and I'd go out. Groceries, dinner with friends, working out, whatever. I get out at least 4X a week.
Don't 'expect' to get much done during the day in terms of housework, meal prep, ect... If the house doesn't catch on fire, you are having a GREAT day!!

Congrats!!! Hopefully others can give some good suggestions :)

JAG's baby mama 07-30-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandymatus (Post 13458613)
any suggestions from those having babies very close in age?

i'm trying to do as much as possible to prepare for having 2 13 months apart...

tips, advice, recommendations for before and after?

I collected anything and everything that kept one child occupied while I worked on the other.

So swings, double strollers, bouncy seats, gyms, high chairs, pack n plays, booster seats. We also baby proofed the deck so DS could go outside and be safe while I was inside with DD. I could see him from all of the windows and would go outside too but if I am in the house changing DD's diaper I want to be sure DS was safe.

We thought we were having DS#2 so we just asked if anyone wanted to give a gift (since we already had all kinds of boy stuff) to get us something that allowed us to multi-task (like the stuff above). Our family and friends asked us what we wanted BTW. We didn't assume they should give us gifts. Just saying...in case anyone gets confused.:goodvibes:

Of course we had a DD so so much for advance planning.:giggle2:

Our LOs are 12mos and 25 days apart. Good luck. While it can occasionally be VERY frustrating, they are just so wonderful being this close in age. I am so glad we did it this way.

kelseyjoy 07-30-2011 02:20 PM

My first two were 15 months apart. Let me see what I can remember from that time because it was all a blur.

*Find a wrap that you like. I had my baby in a moby wrap 24/7 to have hands free for my 15 month old.
*Try to have someone with you on outings. I couldn't go anywhere alone for at least six months. I always had my husband, sisters, friends, whoever would come to help out and I always needed help. It was hard to accept at first, because I like to do stuff on my own, but I really needed the help while out.
*Ask for help when you need it. I was constantly asking my husband for help. Up until then I had taken care of most things baby related, but with two babies it was just too hard. I would tell him every time I needed help. It took a few weeks for this of me trying to run around doing everything and feeling incredibly stressed out. I finally said, "I always need help right now, so anytime you have a free minute I could use some help." It took some learning, but we got it down.
*The first six months were very hard for me. My younger daughter had colic and was crying pretty much all the time. I was so stressed out, but we got through it and after about six months things settled down. I love having them so close now.

Good luck! You can do it!

Truckerswife 07-30-2011 02:51 PM

Mine are 10 months 3 weeks apart
DS was still nursing when DD was born so I tandem nursed them some days all I got done was feeding and changing babies even now with them being 11 months and 22 months some days I don't get much done I dishes while they eat breakfast laundry when I find a few minutes here and there I fix easy suppers mostly pasta or skillet meals you will definitely want a good sling/wrap/or front pack for your nubie and when they get a little bigger a double stroller I even take mine to the grocery store if I just need a few things. Don't feel bad if you don't get much done babies grow fast enjoy them.

3wyobabes 07-30-2011 03:07 PM

We are expecting our 5th baby this spring :) My first 3 are 2 1/2 years apart... then 19 months and the last two will be 22 months apart.

The two things that saved my sanity are a good sling (Moby, Ergo... I have both) and a good double stroller (We have a Phil & Teds).

You will be outnumbered and have busy days for sure, but some tools to get you too and from are very helpful. And remember... above all, it's okay if the dishes don't always get done or if the laundry sits for a day. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy them while they are little :)

mandymatus 07-30-2011 06:58 PM

thank for the suggestions! i have a moby wrap, also a pouch sling, but i figured the moby would keep the new baby more secure while needing to bend over. i am going to try HARD to figure out hands free nursing with the moby wrap ASAP. getting a double stroller soon.

i'm working on freezer meals right now. we don't have money for a deep freezer, but i do have an extra fridge in the garage with that freezer, my freezer inside and my mom offered up most of her freezer since she never cooks and doesn't have anything in hers :) hoping to get as much cooking done that i don't have to worry about that for awhile.

thinking night nursing laying down should help with rest.

my 11 month old is VERY actice and that's mostly what makes me afraid :giggle:

any other ideas? i need all the help i can get :)

Truckerswife 07-30-2011 09:34 PM

Co sleep with the new baby Mom's who Co sleep get more rest than mom's who have the baby in a different room

mandymatus 07-31-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truckerswife (Post 13465603)
Co sleep with the new baby Mom's who Co sleep get more rest than mom's who have the baby in a different room

this is kind of what i was thinking...we only have 2 bedrooms anyways, and i'm not putting the newborn in my daughter's room to have 2 crying babies :)

any ideas on how long to do this? with my daughter we had her in her room in her crib from the beginning (though my husband slept with her a few times--i was too scared :giggle: i got over that though while nursing her and being exhausted in the 1st trimester and falling asleep with her A LOT)

i'd like to get #2 moved over to daughter's room when necessary and the sooner the better, because i do sleep better alone....i was thinking once she started sleeping through, or waking like once....we have a fancy packnplay in our room that we will be using until we put her in her crib in her sister's room.

Truckerswife 07-31-2011 07:02 AM

You may want to get a arms reach Co sleeper than baby will be right there but in her own space and I would probably plan on baby sleeping by you until she is only waking up 1 time to eat so like a 6 hour stretch