Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Eureka!!! It worked!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125439)

camdensmommy 04-04-2007 10:08 PM

Eureka!!! It worked!!!

She went to sleep by herself!!!

Ok, let me just say how happy I am. :lostit: I also have to preface this with the fact that I have bedded my daughter down for bed every night since her birth without ever using CIO and we co-slept all night until she was almost 2.

Well, lately bedtime takes foreeevvveeerrr. Sometimes 1-2 hours and some of the time I pass out way before she does. She doesn't fight bedtime or anything, she never protests going to sleep she just can't calm herself to sleep well if she doesn't fall asleep nursing. Well, I decided it was time to make the process easier on both of us and I wanted some night time back to myself and DH.

Today we made a Goodnight Chart with pictures of our routine (pajamas, teeth brush, stories, goodnight to daddy, go potty, and nurse and sing songs). So we did those and I kept having her refer to the chart to see what was next. I also came up with the Goodnight Timer. After we did our chart I told her that this was our special goodnight timer. I told her she needed to try and fall asleep and when the timer went ding, ding, ding I would know to come in and check on her to see how she was doing. Well, I first set it for 3 minutes so that she would trust that it would go off and that I would come. Then set it for another 3 minutes. Then 5 minutes, then 7 minutes. I set the next one for 14 minutes and I went in halfway through that one and she was asleep. Hooray! No tears. She did ask me to sleep with her a couple of the times when I went in to check on her but I just reminded her that she was a big girl now and that she could fall asleep by herself but that I would check on her when the timer went off. Also, we talked all day today about all the kids we know who fall asleep on their own. And this helped her too.

Anyway, just had to get that out to those who would understand. I am soo happy we never used CIO to achieve something like this.

We are going to try this for naptimes too but today she fell asleep while nursing. LOL. For naptime I am just going to set the timer for an hour and tell her she needs to play quietly in her room until the timer goes off and if she gets sleepy she can lay down. If she doesn't fall asleep than we'll just call it quits.

BTW, she is 27 months.

Leininger27 04-04-2007 10:12 PM

Re: Eureka!!! It worked!!!

Congrats mama. So glad that you found something that worked for you! I hope it continues to work for you! :mrgreen:

Mommy2JJ 04-04-2007 10:52 PM

Congrats Mama!! My ds is 21 months and had been nursed or rocked to sleep for every nap/bedtime in hs life. Now that I am pregnant we are starting to get him ready to transition. He is bit younger but hopefully by the time he is your dd age he will be there too.

How did you start the transition. All I have is people telling me negative things about never getting him out of our bed. How old was she when you started. Thanks for giving me hope!!

camdensmommy 04-04-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ (Post 920957)
Congrats Mama!! My ds is 21 months and had been nursed or rocked to sleep for every nap/bedtime in hs life. Now that I am pregnant we are starting to get him ready to transition. He is bit younger but hopefully by the time he is your dd age he will be there too.

How did you start the transition. All I have is people telling me negative things about never getting him out of our bed. How old was she when you started. Thanks for giving me hope!!

Hey mama! Don't worry, you'll get there. :)

Well we started by side-carring my daughter's crib to our bed. We took off one side of it and attached her bed to our bed with bungee cords underneath. Then after she'd sleep in that we put the side back on and let her sleep in our room for about a week like that. then we moved the bed into her room. there was really very little protest because I always put her to sleep (didn't leave her in the room by herself to fall asleep) and I always came to her when she woke up right away. When she woke up instead of bringing her to my bed I laid on the floor with her. We had pillows and blankets on the floor just for this. Eventually we learned she hated the crib because she had never slept in one so we just moved her mattress to the floor and she slept on the mattress on the floor until last week when she got her very own Queen size bed. :spit: (we bought a king, so she got our queen). She moved into her own room at 20 months I believe. She has done really well moving into her own room. After the move happened then I night weaned her from nursing in the middle of the night. That did produce tears but I stayed with her the whole time and had cheerios and water for her. We have gone though a couple periods where she climbs in bed with us in the middle of the night but usually she doesn't come to our room until about 5 am or so. If she does wake in the night she usually just calls out for me and I lay with her until she falls back asleep. I will keep doing that now even though I am having her go to bed by herself initially and now that we have a king size bed I don't mind if she comes into our bed in the middle of the night. It was driving me crazy before because our bed seemed to small for how much she spreads out.

Don't worry, you'll find something that works for you. Just take it one step at a time and pick your battles. :)

aept 04-04-2007 11:49 PM

Congrats and thank you for sharing!
You sound like a wonderful mama who keeps her child's needs at the forefront while also making things work for the whole family. :goodvibes: I hope it keeps going well for you!

happyhomemom 04-05-2007 12:03 AM

Congratulations:goodvibes: It is great when something works:lostit:

camdensmommy 04-05-2007 05:07 PM

Thanks! I am excited to see how it goes tonight. She was so proud of herself this morning. The first thing she said to me was, "Mommy! I fell asleep by myself. I am such a big girl!" :)

abigail 04-05-2007 05:09 PM

Aww, that's great mama!

camdensmommy 04-05-2007 10:27 PM

Just wanted to say that it worked again tonight! :) It took a little longer this time (which I was expecting) because you lose a bit of the novelty. She loved doing her chart though and she was pefectly content for the first couple timer trials. In fact, she was being rather loud looking at her chart and banging on each picture and saying what they were. LOL. She did whine once and say she wanted me to come lay down but I just reassured her that I'd be in to check on her when her timer went "ding, ding, ding" - which she accepted. Tonight we had the timer set for 3 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins, 7 mins, 14 mins and then 20 minutes but she fell asleep before the last one went off.

Mommy2JJ 04-05-2007 10:29 PM

:lostit: :thumbsup: :happyclap: :cheer:

We had a good night here starting our transition ds went to sleep with nursing while falling asleep!!