Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Is it possible to fit 2 marathons+1radian (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1255762)

jenthe10 08-03-2011 07:47 AM

Is it possible to fit 2 marathons+1radian

Anyone know if there's any chance of fitting 2 marathons and 1 radian xtsl in the same row of a jetta wagon? I realized yesterday after cleaning puke out of the radian for the 2nd time that I really hate it. It's a total PITA to clean and I just don't feel like it's as secure as the marathon... and that whole superlatch issue... We're due with #3 in a month and planned on getting the radian, but after everything yesterday I really want to do another marathon.

lanwenyi 08-03-2011 08:13 AM

Re: Is it possible to fit 2 marathons+1radian

new marathons or classics? What direction is each seat facing?

BTW, I wouldn't worry abt the Superlatch issue in your case. With 3 across, you'll have to use seatbelts anyway.

I have a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen. The Radian goes in well in the middle rfing (albeit reclined to 40ish*) and I can get the Blvd (65) rfing next to it really easily. That leaves plenty of room for an adult in the other seat (haven't tried it w/ another seat back there. I've also done a literider(nbb)-rfing radian-rfing Truefit across the back. If all three are rfing (with the radian in the middle), I'm sure it will work. If 2 are rfing and 1 ffing (or 2 ffing and 1 rfing), it will probably work as long as the radian is facing the same direction as one of the marathons. (ie NO to ffing radian with 2 rfing marathons).

I can try some combos in the back while my kids are sleeping this afternoon, but I only have the "classic" Britaxes (65lb limit), I don't have the new "70" seats.

jenthe10 08-03-2011 08:25 AM

1 Classic marathon and the new would be the marathon 70 (i think i've heard they're a little narrower/shorter, right?) We do have the radian in with the belt now...it just bothers me how they delt with it. We can do 2rf/1ff for a little while or 2ff/1rf. DD will be 2 when #3 comes and she's a giant. Not sure how long we'll be able to keep her rf...her growth is slowing down at least! I'm ok with her FF at this point though. Maybe I'll just see if babies r us will let me test it out to see if it fits :)

jenthe10 08-03-2011 08:30 AM

Oh! I'm a genius, lol, just remembered I DO know someone with a Marathon so even if babies r us won't let us try it out I can ask my friend! Thanks for the help :)

lanwenyi 08-03-2011 08:36 AM

BRU will let you try it out. Who's in which seat now and what are their stats? (age, weight, seated shoulder height, etc) Also, do you have any other seats in other cars? (Can be helpful for puzzling).

For example, in my family:

DD - 3y11m rfing 2 XTSLs, Avenue, 38", 30.5lbs, 15" torso
DS - 2y1m rfing TFP, BLVD, Avenue, 31.5", 24lbs, 12.75" torso

My DD is sneaking close to the rfing height limit on her Avenue b/c her torso is so long. How do your kids fit in their current seats?

jenthe10 08-04-2011 05:55 AM

Sorry I left work and didn't get a chance to check back. I'll have to measure them when I get home today!

DS - 3.5years, ff, marathon classic, 37"(?), 35lbs(?), no idea on the torso...height and weight should be close
DD - 23mo, rf, radian xtsl, 34"(?), 34lbs(?), again height and weight should be close, don't know on the torso...
We also have a Maxi Cosi Priori that we use as a backup, but I really don't care for it. We may use it for a short time when the baby comes if we haven't decided on a new seat yet.

lanwenyi 08-04-2011 08:05 AM

At those heights/weights, I'd go ahead and leave the 3.5yo ffing in the Marathon. How much room does he have to grow? (How many inches b4 his shoulders reach the top slot?)

You could leave your 23mo in the rfing radian and put the new baby in a new rfing Marathon 70 (will prob need to buy the infant support wedge to make it fit a newbie),

or you could put new baby in the xtsl (it came w/ the infant padding to make it fit an average newbie) and put the 23mo in the Marathon 70 until she gets to 40 lbs (then switch the 2 so your middle child can rf longer).

Those combos should fit across a Jetta Wagon b/c you'll have both a rfing Radian and a rfing Britax. They puzzle really well together and should leave plenty of room for almost any ffing seat (including the classic marathon).

Make sure you install all 3 with seatbelts (it'll give you a lot more room) and check to be sure all seats are independently tight.

For the far future - when it's time to turn your middle child ffing, you'll have to turn the Radian. That will keep the radian facing the same direction as one of the Britax seats and leave you plenty of room for the 3rd seat.

misskira 08-04-2011 10:10 AM

Right now I have a radian ff in the center with a roundabout55 rf outboard. I could easily put another rf on the other side. I drive a 08 accord.