Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Question about large baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1255871)

petuniajo 08-03-2011 11:08 AM

Question about large baby

My daughter was always a skinny mini, but DS is quite large. Born at 9lb 10oz and now at almost 14 weeks is about 17 pounds. The weight limit on his infant seat (graco snugride) is 22lbs...

Here's my concern--maybe you can put it to rest? I imagine his days in the infant seat are numbered (maybe another 3 or 4 months if his growth rate slows a little, which I think it is...). But we drive a small car, and I know that my daughter's convertible seat (britax roundabout 50 I think) only fit rear-facing in our car behind one of the front seats when it was sitting very upright (our car won't fit a seat in the middle if there is already one next to the door).

How old does a baby need to be before they can sit that upright?

CrazyBoysMamma 08-03-2011 12:11 PM

Re: Question about large baby

With his size you might consider a Radian, the 2 higher models have 45 lb RF limits, which may make you need to worry a little less. Also, as long as it can fit between the front seats (and install in your car) they fit perfectly next to a Britax facing the same direction.

petuniajo 08-03-2011 12:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation on carseats! Weight limits will definitely be more of a concern with this little guy than they have been with my DD!

My concern though is actually that a because a seat WON'T fit in the middle, I'm concerned that once I switch him to a convertible seat it will need to sit straight up in order to fit behind our passenger seat. When can babies sit pretty much upright in their carseats?

We drive a 2004 hyundai elantra...

jjordan 08-03-2011 12:42 PM

Most babies are comfortable sitting more upright once they get good head control.

When it's time, I'd check out the new Britax convertibles (roundabout55, marathon70, etc) for your ds, as they take up less front-back space than any other full-size convertibles.

CrazyBoysMamma 08-03-2011 12:46 PM

My dad drive a new Elantra an I just put a RF Radian in the middle seat and there was plenty of room, I had boosters on either side with plenty of room to buckle, I could have easily put a RF Britax on either (or both) side.

an_aurora 08-03-2011 12:48 PM

The Radians work really well in Hyundais, and I have seen Radians RF in Elantras :) I have seen them RF in the middle of Elantras even!

CrazyBoysMamma 08-03-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora (Post 13488874)
The Radians work really well in Hyundais, and I have seen Radians RF in Elantras :) I have seen them RF in the middle of Elantras even!

Yeah, my dad just got an '11 and the install was easy!

solarbabies 08-03-2011 05:16 PM

We have an 05 elantra and have so much trouble getting seats that fit ok without making the front seats uncomfortable. Maybe the newer models are bigger?

I am scared to get a radian because I am so scared it wouldn't fit!

We have gotten an Evenflo symphony 65 and a britex marathon 70 rfing in it, but both have to be pretty upright or the seats have to be pushed way forward. And forget the myride! Not happening!

My best advise it to go to babies r us and try seats in your car so you can get an idea of how they fit.

USMCgirl_05 08-03-2011 06:52 PM

Just so you know a Radian will usually fit really well next to a rear facing Britax seat :)

My son was small at birth 6 lbs 12oz, and at his 4 month appt was 17 lbs!!! Now at 2.5 he is only 30 lbs :) Oh and I think I switched him around 5-6 months to a Britax Roundabout and he did just fine.

KandFsMomma 08-03-2011 10:02 PM

I didn't read all the replies, but I had a skinny DD and have a Chunk of a DS. We put him in a MA 70, in center, it's reclined all the way, it takes up much less room than the Radian XTsl.