Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Soon to be in the UK (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256293)

Fairycat 08-03-2011 11:15 PM

Soon to be in the UK
 
Well it is official, we will be living in England by the end of this year. I am excited and scared, it is a big giant move. But woo hoo!!! Here we come!

Any one know of a good expat forum?

Wanderlust 08-04-2011 02:52 AM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
I'm sooo jealous! The military had to move us kicking and screaming out of England- we filed all sorts of paperwork to extend or back-to-back our tour there :mrgreen: Do you know the area you're moving to?

2+2macht4 08-04-2011 02:56 AM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
yay. I want to go to the UK. I only know of a Germany forum for expats, but I am sure they exist.

You could check out baby center they have lots of groups, by country as well as general such as international mommies.

Fairycat 08-04-2011 05:18 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
We will be living in Bristol, which I have been to twice, while DH worked. I really liked the city a lot. I hope we full in love with England too :)

iwiamandaiwi 08-04-2011 05:30 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairycat (Post 13497562)
We will be living in Bristol, which I have been to twice, while DH worked. I really liked the city a lot. I hope we full in love with England too :)

are you bing moved there by the military? I ask because I would be interested in moving there as a civilian but I just don't know where to start. How would you find a job there?

Fairycat 08-07-2011 12:59 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
No, we are not military. My DH works for a UK based company, so we are transfering with them. But have to do the Visa's much like you would if you came in with out transfering.

I would probably search UK job sites, that are looking for American workers. I don't know what fields you are in, but that can effect how easy or difficult it is to find a job there.

Besides the Visas, we are figuring out the rest now as we go.

iwiamandaiwi 08-07-2011 01:46 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairycat (Post 13513046)
No, we are not military. My DH works for a UK based company, so we are transfering with them. But have to do the Visa's much like you would if you came in with out transfering.

I would probably search UK job sites, that are looking for American workers. I don't know what fields you are in, but that can effect how easy or difficult it is to find a job there.

Besides the Visas, we are figuring out the rest now as we go.

thanks :) Just out of curiosity, what field is your hubby in?

Wanderlust 08-07-2011 02:21 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
I suggest you get a National Trust membership once you arrive. We loved ours. You pay about 75 British Pounds for a years family membership. Once you get it, you get into all the National Trust places for free- there are tons. So there are a bunch of neat historical site, manors, castles, estate homes, abbeys, etc. It also includes free parking.

A lot of the places have activities for children to do year-round like crafts, scavenger hunts, medieval faires, etc which would also be free with your membership. It was awesome just looking through the thick catalogue we got and deciding where to go each off set my DH had.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

ETA: It was quite easy as an American finding a job in the UK. Not sure if had anything to do with my SOFA status and that I was already in country though. I called a toll free number to get a national health number( took less than 2 weeks). Once I got my number, I could apply for jobs. I found it quite easy applying- I even went to some temp agencies. I ended up working for a civilian contractor company on base though. Some friends worked at Morrisons, Sally's, a temp agency and a video game store off base and enjoyed it. They needed to pay British taxes, but got the benefits like paid maternity leave.

iwiamandaiwi 08-07-2011 02:51 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennybeth (Post 13513430)
I suggest you get a National Trust membership once you arrive. We loved ours. You pay about 75 British Pounds for a years family membership. Once you get it, you get into all the National Trust places for free- there are tons. So there are a bunch of neat historical site, manors, castles, estate homes, abbeys, etc. It also includes free parking.

A lot of the places have activities for children to do year-round like crafts, scavenger hunts, medieval faires, etc which would also be free with your membership. It was awesome just looking through the thick catalogue we got and deciding where to go each off set my DH had.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

ETA: It was quite easy as an American finding a job in the UK. Not sure if had anything to do with my SOFA status and that I was already in country though. I called a toll free number to get a national health number( took less than 2 weeks). Once I got my number, I could apply for jobs. I found it quite easy applying- I even went to some temp agencies. I ended up working for a civilian contractor company on base though. Some friends worked at Morrisons, Sally's, a temp agency and a video game store off base and enjoyed it. They needed to pay British taxes, but got the benefits like paid maternity leave.

thanks :) I hope it will be almost as easy for me as it was for you :)

Fairycat 08-07-2011 07:02 PM

Re: Soon to be in the UK
 
Honestly DH's field is better paid here then there, but they are working with him, he is a programmer.

I will so check out the National Trust that sounds perfect for us.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors