Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   need help picking out cheap cloth diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256355)

jcprincess.mcm 08-04-2011 08:49 AM

need help picking out cheap cloth diapers

For financial reasons (we don't have money and were given sposies) we will use sposies on DS2 due 9/7 until middle/end of September. I've been looking for cheap fitteds and covers for use on a 2-3 week old (expecting 8lbs+). What I've found is the GMD workhorse in Small and using Bummis SuperLite covers. My plan is to purchase 18 fitteds (washing as needed/expecting every night) and 6 size small covers (approx $200) @ GMD.

Is this too little, too much? Are there better options? Husband is concerned about using the washer/dryer just to do dipes (we do have a clothesline for drying, but weather will start to go south in Oct). **Would be willing to do prefolds once out of the newborn stage, so probably in mediums.

My ultimate goal will be to sell the smalls on FSOT to fund the next size (mediums across the board).

Crow Mountain Crafts 08-04-2011 09:01 AM

Re: need help picking out cheap cloth diapers

Sounds like a pretty good plan. The workhorses will sale fast after you are done with them so you should be able to make back a good amount of your money to fund the next size up. I would probably add 2 dozen infant prefolds to your list so you dont have to wash quite as often though. I would also probably go with a one-size cover instead of buying individual sizes. It will help keep your budget lower. Econobums and Thirsties sz 1 wraps both fit my little guys from about 9lbs and up.

jamieism 08-04-2011 09:03 AM

GMD workhorses are popular, so a good option IMO. if you a
Have a sewing machine you could make recycled longies for at least half the covers. Also people seem to really love the econobum covers and when they have seconds on the site, those are super cheap. Thirsties has an outlet site that has cheap covers sometimes. And fsot. Starting around 8lbs I really loved grobaby and then flips and then I found the wool love. GL!!

jcprincess.mcm 08-04-2011 09:28 AM

Question about laundry - we currently use the Aldi brand/imitation Purex. Aldi (at least ours) doesn't sell any type of free and clear. Can I continue to use that detergent, but the minimum amount, or does anyone suggest buying a specific detergent just for dipes? I will probably continue to wash ALL the clothes (baby too) in the Aldi Purex imitation just to cut down on cost (32 loads+ for $2.99).

LadyofReason 08-04-2011 10:10 AM

I would start with your normal soap and go from there. If it doesn't work, you can adjust. :)

Mommax2in2006 08-04-2011 10:12 AM

I find fitteds and covers to be more expensive then say Sunbaby Pockets and Walmart flour sack flats~ Or even just Prefolds and covers would be cheaper :)

Esp when you can get sunbaby on co-op for $3.80 w/o inserts or $4.30 with inserts included...Plus they are OneSize so they should fit up until potty training too!

Leah52 08-04-2011 10:28 AM

I don't think you would need 8 covers, especially with fitteds since they have elastic in the legs that prevent poo leaks. We only had 5 covers for the newborn period used with prefolds and it was more than enough.

bigmamakelsey 08-04-2011 10:32 AM

I think it looks good, but I think you'd get by fine with 3-4 covers since they have leg elastic. Those are a good cheap option, but if you wanted to save even more, I suggest trying just plain ol' prefolds. If you trifold them in covers they're actually EASIER than a fitted/prefitted with a cover, just as effective, and WAY cheaper. You could get 2 dozen SM sized prefolds from Nicki's diapers and 8 bummis super lite covers for for $116, even less if you use the coupon code "five" at checkout:) You could even check into one size covers if you don't plan on using them until 9-10lbs anyways. Just a thought:) GL mama!

jcprincess.mcm 08-04-2011 10:59 AM

Because I will be using on pretty much a newborn until they the diapers are too small, I'd rather stay with fitteds, but I am very much willing (if hubby is) to use prefolds in the medium covers. As for the amount of covers, I'd like to have extras since this will be my first time using cloth and there are a lot of household changes taking place all at the same time. Trying to keep simple, extremely easy and fairly cheap, with high resale value.

As for laundry, found ECOS and All Free and Clear at good prices on Walmart's website - only going to cost approx $2 more for detergent I won't be as scared about using! :)

Ilikenonsense 08-04-2011 03:38 PM

I love subaby's pockets. 12 diapers with 12 inserts for 60 bucks. Free shipping , super cute and hold up very well.