Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   save me from my Country Save experiment (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256386)

calstar2000 08-04-2011 08:43 AM

save me from my Country Save experiment

Awhile back I wanted to try Country Save detergent. I read somewhere that enzyme detergents like Country Save will scour the build up in your washing machine before it attacks the dirt on your clothes/diapers, so you should run it without a load a couple of times.

Well, I did that. Icky scum bubbles was what I got. I was never brave enough to try it on my actual clothes or diapers. And now my machine smells really funky and the smell lingers on my laundry and diapers. I've run bleach through several times. Anyone have any clue how I fix this? :banghead:

smilewithme 08-04-2011 08:49 AM

Re: save me from my Country Save experiment

I have never heard that!! Sorry mama! Charlies soap is said to clean up too (no enzymes though). It has worked well for us.
Have you tried running a towel load with baking soda??

LaurelBelle 08-04-2011 09:18 AM

Do you have a top loader or front loader? I've beard FLers sometimes get a smell.

calstar2000 08-04-2011 09:33 AM

front loader. any clue how i fix it?!

MamaBee03 08-04-2011 10:22 AM

Does your machine have a "Tub Clean" option? I haven't used the setting on my new FL'er yet, but I'm intrigued by it.

MamaJoyful 08-04-2011 10:56 AM

Country Save has enzymes?

crunchymomof3 08-04-2011 10:58 AM

i love love loved country save on my clothes and diapers , i would try it and have never heard you should strip the washer first with it so IDK

MamaJoyful 08-04-2011 11:02 AM

I would try some Calgon Water Softner and clean the machine. If it smells then it probably does need to be cleaned.

I use CS and it works fine, but I always put some sort of surfactant in the first rinse to get most of the gunk off before the long wash. I have been using Dawn, but that may not work as well with a FL.

goosebeanmissy 08-04-2011 11:02 AM

I don't think Country Save has enzymes- that's part of its appeal for cloth diapers. It also dissolves best in warm or hot water. Other than running a hot wash or cleaning cycle, not sure what else. HTH

BSWmama 08-04-2011 11:33 AM

I've been using Country Save happily for a while. It doesn't have enzymes.

I have heard that washers sometimes need to be cleaned. Maybe try sprinkling baking soda all over, spraying with vinegar, wiping down really well - especially on the rubbery/gasket parts? Then do a hot wash with baking soda?