Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need trainer help! (Spam away please) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256644)

jacksmimi 08-04-2011 02:31 PM

Need trainer help! (Spam away please)

I have a son who's turning 3 on the 8th. He is such a big boy, but is refusing to potty train. He wears a size 4T shirt and 3T pants, and weighs 36lbs, and stands 38" tall. Waist - 19-19.5" Thigh - 12" Rise - 15.5-16"

He hates disposables (which he's always worn) :hide: but hates Pull Ups even more. Not to mention they give him a rash on his lower back and between his thighs. I offer his Imse Vimse trainer (we have 1) and he likes it, but he pees in them just like a diaper...and worst of all he WILL poop in them. Suffice it to say he's not concerned about being wet or poopy! He is super independent and would love to pull up/pull down something easy though (it gets stuck on his booty).

I'm sad he can't go to pre-school where we live (small town) until he's Pl'd :banghead: What pants/methods would you all suggest? I don't want to invest a ton of $$$ cause he's so on the verge of "getting it".

MrsA08 08-04-2011 04:41 PM

Re: Need trainer help! (Spam away please)

My nephew didn't learn until he was 4. He us SUPER independent and just kept forgetting to go to the bathroom because he was so distracted by his own imagination, lol. Have you tried the "it's your mess you deal with it approach"? That what my SIL finally ended up having to do with him, and it eventually worked. It is something that would definitely work better for an older toddler like your son rather than a toddler under 2. She would remind him to use the bathroom every hour or so, but if he didn't go and came to her and told her he was wet or dirty she would show him where his clothes were and he would have to change himself. If he pooped his pants she would go in the bathroom with him where he would have to draw his own bath (she checked the temperature of course) and get himself clean. I'm sure some people may think this method sounds harsh, but sometimes for kids that are really independent it's the only thing that works.
As far as reusable training pants go, there are some patterns I have seen the links to to make them, but I don't have the links, maybe someone else does. Also, the gerber training underwear have an little bit of absorbency. My sister uses those with a cheap pull on diaper cover when she' at home for her girls. She uses pull-ups the rest of the time. Anyway, hope something I said helps!

jacksmimi 08-05-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsA08 (Post 13497342)
My nephew didn't learn until he was 4. He us SUPER independent and just kept forgetting to go to the bathroom because he was so distracted by his own imagination, lol. Have you tried the "it's your mess you deal with it approach"? That what my SIL finally ended up having to do with him, and it eventually worked. It is something that would definitely work better for an older toddler like your son rather than a toddler under 2. She would remind him to use the bathroom every hour or so, but if he didn't go and came to her and told her he was wet or dirty she would give him show him where his clothes were and he would have to change himself. If he pooped his pants she would go in the bathroom with him where he would have to draw his own bath (she checked the temperature of course) and get himself clean. I'm sure some people may think this method sounds harsh, but sometimes for kids that are really independent it's the only thing that works.
As far as reusable training pants go, there are some patterns I have seen the links to to make them, but I don't have the links, maybe someone else does. Also, the gerber training underwear have an little bit of absorbency. My sister uses those with a cheap pull on diaper cover when she' at home for her girls. She uses pull-ups the rest of the time. Anyway, hope something I said helps!

Thanks for your response :) I checked into some Mother Goose trainers:

http://hyenacart.com/mothergoosedesigns/index.php?c=21

Hopefully other mamas read this message too on trainer help. I messaged her and she was incredibly fast at getting back to me, more than once, and I would have to say so far her CS is excellent :thumbsup: She also has a buy 7 get one free, which I would imagine even at his worst could get me thru day two and doing some laundry that night.

On another note, I think our problem is very active boy... He tells me he wants to play not go to the potty. So when he poops I've been making him take a bath (cause it's usually pretty messy). So then he does get upset cause it takes time away from his playing. So you and your SIL may be onto something! I let him pick out his undies fabric, so hopefully this will motivate him.

shortcake2386 08-05-2011 01:04 AM

♥ my 2.5 year old niece is very VERY territorial with 7 kids in the house that doesnt reall work lol. she would rather wet herself than leave certain toys "unattended". but i have found that if she has to change(with minimal help, that includes getting new bottoms) and taker her clothes to the hamper and clean up any messes she is less likely to wet. (she just hides the toys then runs really fast lol)
every child is different. my big thing with mine is that an accident is not a HUGE deal. it happens. we clean it up and move on. but if they are prone to accidents i do ask them every 30 minutes-an hour if they need to use the potty. :thumbsup:

Dons.Donna 08-05-2011 02:37 AM

I'm having this problem too. DS would rather play than potty. I'd ask him even make him sit and nothing then once i'm nursing, eating or whatever, he decides to poop or pee. I'm wondering if letting him clean up would work..then again I'll probably end up doing it because I think i'd do a better job (OCD). We tried rewarding and doesn't seem to care..ugh..i hope this happens soon because i'd hate to take him to his 4 yr check and hear them give me a lecture on potty training.

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet using DS Forum using swype..pls excuse typos

mlhmrsdds 08-05-2011 05:57 AM

Shortcake (mothergoose designs) does fantastic work!

I also like the Sprout Change trainers and the Charlie Banana trainers, both fuction like trainers but absorb like diapers. The Sprout Change is even night worthy.

MrsA08 08-05-2011 08:30 AM

So glad you didn't think this technique is harsh. It is really helpful for active, busy kids because the soon realize that it takes way less time away from them if they just go use the potty rather than clean up the mess afterward. I should note my sister tried it with my niece ad it didn't go over very well, but I think that had something to do with daycare.