Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   URGENT HELP! I can't get my seats in the dang car... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256749)

momto2es 08-04-2011 05:33 PM

URGENT HELP! I can't get my seats in the dang car...

I have a Dodge 09 Journey. I have both my kids (3.5yr and 20mth) RFing in the 2nd row outboard in Radian XTSL. My inlaws are visiting this weekend, and I need to configure the seats so that you can get into the 3rd row.

I tried to do one middle and one outboard in the 2nd row...can't get the folded seat to lower so you can get into the 3rd row.

I tried one FFing the 3rd row (3.5 yr, only for this weekend) and the other RFing in the 2nd row, but there is no anchor for the tether behind it that I can find or in the manual. Grrrrr.:banghead:

I tried one RFing in the 3rd row with the other FFing in the 2nd row right in front of it, but the 2nd row won't go far enough up so that the RFing seat in the 3rd row will sit properly on the seat for install. GAH!:cry:

We DO have a Britax that the baby can use, and I may have to install that one RFing in the 3rd row since the shell is so much shorter, and then maybe my oldest can still be RFing in the 2nd row. I will try that tonight. I want to bang my head on a frickin' wall! We bought this thing so we'd have a 3rd row, but I can't even USE the dang thing!!!

Any thoughts? Experience? HELP!!

monica-m 08-04-2011 05:55 PM

Re: URGENT HELP! I can't get my seats in the dang car...

The Dodge Journey only has tether anchors in the outboard positions in the second row and none in the third row. How many people do you want to fit in your vehicle?

ETA: Try the Britax in the third row and the Radian in the second like you mentioned doing. That may be your best solution.

momto2es 08-04-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 13497750)
The Dodge Journey only has tether anchors in the outboard positions in the second row and none in the third row. How many people do you want to fit in your vehicle?

ETA: Try the Britax in the third row and the Radian in the second like you mentioned doing. That may be your best solution.

We need to fit 6 people...4 adults, 2 kiddos. We're trying the Britax tonight...ugh...I hate that seat.

Len27 08-04-2011 06:44 PM

I feel your pain, we went through the same rigamorole with my honda pilot a few months ago. I ended up installing one FF outboard and one RF in the center so we could still access the fold down seat to get in the back BUT it wasn't remotely ideal and I basically had to retighten the RF carseat every time we flipped the seat down, so it wasn't even close to the best install. In the past I've had a FF seat in the third row (but I have tether points) and a RF seat in the center row onboard. Total PITA. God help us if we have a 3rd child and have to figure this all out on a permanent basis.

monica-m 08-04-2011 06:53 PM

See if you can get the Britax in and if you can't then see if you can put the 40 part of the 60/40 split down and then install the radian and see if the seat can then be raised after installation.

momto2es 08-04-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 13498060)
See if you can get the Britax in and if you can't then see if you can put the 40 part of the 60/40 split down and then install the radian and see if the seat can then be raised after installation.

Oh, I did not think of trying it that way. I doubt it will fit, but we'll try. Thanks. DH is getting the oldest to bed then we'll crack some beers and head out into the 105 degree heat. Lovely. God bless Texas!

momto2es 08-04-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 13497750)

Oh, FYI, mine does have tether anchors in all 3 positions in the 2nd row...

monica-m 08-04-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momto2es (Post 13498127)
Oh, FYI, mine does have tether anchors in all 3 positions in the 2nd row...

I misread that part in the LATCH manual.

Can you use the scoot the outboard radian as far as it will go over toward the door and install the one in the center further over to the side giving the 40 seat more room to fold?

Where in Texas are you? I'm in Pearland and if you're in the Houston area I could help you with the installs in person.

momto2es 08-04-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 13498150)
I misread that part in the LATCH manual.

Can you use the scoot the outboard radian as far as it will go over toward the door and install the one in the center further over to the side giving the 40 seat more room to fold?

Where in Texas are you? I'm in Pearland and if you're in the Houston area I could help you with the installs in person.

Awww, you are so sweet! We are in Austin though. Long drive for a bit of help! ;)

I will try first to scoot them over towards the door some...we'll see. I love the Radians, but moving them around is a PITA! Take boot off, put boot on, turn around, stick hand behind seat for belt path, etc etc. It's a workout.

monica-m 08-04-2011 07:19 PM

It is a workout. I try not to move DS' Radian unless I have to. It's such a heavy seat! I would totally be okay with FF the 3 year old for the weekend if it makes things easier. The Radian has good head excursion numbers when not tethered so if putting the 3 year old FF in the 3rd row saves your sanity then do it.