Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Best Convertible for a Generic Kid? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256795)

NewbieSAHM 08-04-2011 07:12 PM

Best Convertible for a Generic Kid?

Hello car seat experts!

I know everyone is always asking for seat recommendations for their kids, but my request is a little different, so here it goes.

I run in-home childcare. And we go places! At this time I'm not providing car seats for the kids, instead I ask that parents provide seats for use in my car. I strongly encourage them to provide me with an extra seat that stays in my car. I'd like to have a little flyer that I hand out with my seat recommendations in order to steer parents in a good direction. Most of the parents have asked for this and no one has been offended so far.

Either in the order you recommend or in no particular order(please specify which you choose), what are the best options of convertible car seats for a generic kid at different price points? For example, I feel like common seats I see mentioned are Sceneras, MyRide 65s, Complete Air 65s, True Fit, Radians of all types. Are there any others I'm not thinking of? Are any of these not as good for as long for a generic kid? Also, what's a good price for each?

I know I'm asking for a lot of info and I really appreciate anyone who is able to respond. Thanks so much!

monica-m 08-04-2011 07:14 PM

Re: Best Convertible for a Generic Kid?

This is my all time favorite list of recommended car seats.

http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/

It would be a good place to start. It has seats at all different price points with lots of information.

jjordan 08-04-2011 07:31 PM

For convertibles, under $100 there is a good recent review of the options on carseatblog.com. I'd check that.

For $100-$150, I'd lean toward seats whose harnesses can be adjusted easily if you're going to be using them with different kids (can't quite tell if you will be though?). Those would be the evenflo triumph 65 and first years/lamaze truefit. (There are some other no-rethread options that normally run over $150, and may sometimes be on sale for less, but these two are consistently under $150.) Other $100-$150 options that are good, especially if used for just one specific kid all the time, are the graco myride and Britax roundabout55.

I probably wouldn't bother listing seats for much above $150 as I would expect most parents wouldn't want to pay that for a daycare seat.

Another thing to consider, if you're using these in your own car, will you be doing the installations? If so then I'd make sure that you are comfortable using whatever seats you suggest. But ideally, from a liability perspective, I'd ask the parents to install the seats in your car (in which case, whatever seats they're comfortable with would probably be best).

NewbieSAHM 08-04-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m (Post 13498170)
This is my all time favorite list of recommended car seats.

http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/

It would be a good place to start. It has seats at all different price points with lots of information.

Thank you! That's just about the most perfect information I could have asked for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjordan (Post 13498257)
For convertibles, under $100 there is a good recent review of the options on carseatblog.com. I'd check that.

For $100-$150, I'd lean toward seats whose harnesses can be adjusted easily if you're going to be using them with different kids (can't quite tell if you will be though?). Those would be the evenflo triumph 65 and first years/lamaze truefit. (There are some other no-rethread options that normally run over $150, and may sometimes be on sale for less, but these two are consistently under $150.) Other $100-$150 options that are good, especially if used for just one specific kid all the time, are the graco myride and Britax roundabout55.

I probably wouldn't bother listing seats for much above $150 as I would expect most parents wouldn't want to pay that for a daycare seat.

Another thing to consider, if you're using these in your own car, will you be doing the installations? If so then I'd make sure that you are comfortable using whatever seats you suggest. But ideally, from a liability perspective, I'd ask the parents to install the seats in your car (in which case, whatever seats they're comfortable with would probably be best).

I'll check it out, thanks (not terribly familiar with the site, but hopefully it's not hard to find). And good point about parents not spending more than $150 on a seat for my vehicle. Each seat would only be used for that specific child, not shared among different kids. And I had never thought about potential for liability in that regard. Eek! Perhaps I should include a waiver/agreement that addresses who installs the seat in my contract.