Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why Does My Milk Dry Up Whe My babies turn 6months Old?!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256836)

mfergy0625 08-04-2011 08:21 PM

Why Does My Milk Dry Up Whe My babies turn 6months Old?!?

I am so bummed. :cry:DS#3 will be 6 months old on the 10th and my milk supply has started depleating. I have been trying to prevent this from happening (It happened with DS#2 also) by drinking Mother's Milk Tea, eating lots of oatmeal, staying hydrated and pumping but I am having no luck. DS refuses to nurse about 1/2 of our feedings during the day now and just screams at my breast. I get NOTHING when I pump either, not one drop!

He is going to be my last baby so I was really hoping to make it at least a year with him but I just don't think it is going to happen. Any insight as to why this is happening or other things I can try to stop my depleating milk-supply would be great. Thanks mamas!

pix1114 08-04-2011 08:45 PM

Re: Why Does My Milk Dry Up Whe My babies turn 6months Old?!?

I used More Milk Plus. Tastes nasty, but works! I put a dropper or two in grape juice and drank it like a shot. I also drank a ton of water!

VeganCupcake 08-04-2011 10:00 PM

I don't know if I would assume that your milk supply is going down, necessarily--at least not an unusual or dangerous amount. And unless you're pregnant or you have something else hormonal going on, you can probably get your supply up again. If you interpret certain things as a decrease in supply and then supplement so your LO is not nursing as often, then yes, your supply will decline because you are telling your body that you don't need it anymore.

If your DS is screaming at the breast, then maybe he is really just interested in exploring and being mobile? Is it possible it's a nursing strike instead of a supply problem?

Do you nurse at night? Nighttime nursing really helps your supply. Has he recently started STTN?

Did you recently get your period back? Or do you think it is coming back eminently?

Pumping is not a good indication of your supply. Some women don't get anything from a pump, and they have healthy, growing, breastfed babies. Do you normally pump and suddenly you have had this drastic decrease in your pumping output?

Does your baby take a lot of solids? Decreasing solids and increasing nursing opportunities can make a big difference, too.

Here are a couple of Kellymom links with excellent information: Low milk supply

Increasing pumping output

palsmama 08-04-2011 10:31 PM

Yeah that!! Also, 6 month growth spurts are brutal. Could be that. Just nurse nurse nurse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 13499239)
I don't know if I would assume that your milk supply is going down, necessarily--at least not an unusual or dangerous amount. And unless you're pregnant or you have something else hormonal going on, you can probably get your supply up again. If you interpret certain things as a decrease in supply and then supplement so your LO is not nursing as often, then yes, your supply will decline because you are telling your body that you don't need it anymore.

If your DS is screaming at the breast, then maybe he is really just interested in exploring and being mobile? Is it possible it's a nursing strike instead of a supply problem?

Do you nurse at night? Nighttime nursing really helps your supply. Has he recently started STTN?

Did you recently get your period back? Or do you think it is coming back eminently?

Pumping is not a good indication of your supply. Some women don't get anything from a pump, and they have healthy, growing, breastfed babies. Do you normally pump and suddenly you have had this drastic decrease in your pumping output?

Does your baby take a lot of solids? Decreasing solids and increasing nursing opportunities can make a big difference, too.

keen1981 08-04-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake

Good post. Many people believe their children are self weaning at 6-9 months or that their milk is drying. It's usually a distracted baby. Too many solids or not nursing enough. 12x a day if u can.

PerfectFifth 08-05-2011 08:24 AM

If your baby is still gaining weight and making a lot of wet and dirty diapers then I wouldn't worry. :hugs:

myclanof6 08-05-2011 10:29 AM

Mine was starting to dry up because dd was on tube feedings at night and wasn't nursing. Fenugreek and making sure I drank a ton of water a day got it back. I don't take fenugreek anymore but have to be sure I'm drinking enough. At least 80-100 oz of water a day. DD gets distracted very easily and won't eat or nap if something is going on. It started about that time. Also, around the time AF is coming (came back at 5 mos) my supply drops, I can tell because she is wanting to nurse more, I'm assuming because she isn't getting enough. After AF it goes back to normal.

mfergy0625 08-05-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 13499239)

He seems really hungry when trying to nurse, just nothing is coming out. It also seems like my let-down is getting slower.

I nurse him at least twice a night still and we have never even come close to STTN :giggle: I will say that he does great for the first feeding around 2 am but the second feeding at around 6 is brutal. He usually screams for a good 10 minutes before nursing because my let-down is slow

I think it might be coming back again. I have only had like 4 periods in over 2 years so it is a bit hard to read the signals.

I don't normally pump unless I am away from him, which doesn't happen very often. I was just trying to pump to build up my supply but I literally do not get anything

He eats two small helpings of solids a day.

Thank you for the links! I will try some of that for sure. I just don't know what to do when he is screaming because he is hungry and I am not producing any milk or it won't let down. What would you suggest doing in that type of situation? He is literally red-faced and hysterical because he is so upset :cry:

VeganCupcake 08-05-2011 10:02 PM

Fussy nurslings: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Slow letdown: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

Does anything calm him when he's upset like that? I would try to calm him, then try latching him on again--that is, if there's something that calms him. Is it possible that he doesn't want to nurse in a particular position and being sleepy at 2 am makes him more satisfied, but at 6 am he's more alert and particular about things?

I have heard that if your period is coming back, a cal/mag supplement can help your supply even out.

If you don't regularly pump, then not getting anything from pumping is not at all unusual and isn't a sign--by itself--of low supply.

Boheme 08-05-2011 10:58 PM

Did you recently start solids? He'd nurse more if he wasn't eating solids, and your milk supply would go back up. I'm of the mind that if he's young enough for supply issues to be a problem (as in, a problem because he isn't ready to wean), then it's better to sacrifice solid food in favor of getting more milk in his belly. There will always be time to give him solids later, not the case with breastmilk.

Also, my supply also gets low the few days before my period starts, every month. Fenugreek always helped me.