Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fabric for wipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256890)

DarCoopsmommy 08-04-2011 10:13 PM

Fabric for wipes

I was thinking of making some cloth wipes and get away from using huggies. What fabric and size do you prefer? I was thinking of using the cheap baby wash cloths from Walmart but I can't find cheap ones that are thicker. I hated the thin wash cloths for bath time so most likely won't like them for wiping either.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ahenson 08-04-2011 10:52 PM

I was just going to post this. I want to start using cloth wipes and I am pretty good with sewing but do not have a serger, or lots of time. What kind of clothing can I recycle into wipes? Any good blog posts / threads / sites you mamas know? Recommendations in general with using homemade wipes? TIA!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**

philenabean 08-04-2011 10:59 PM

Re: Fabric for wipes

I have some flannel/OBV wipes that I like, but I actually really love my double layer microfleece wipes. I got them free from a friend. I think a single layer would work well, too, and no need to sew fleece.

Dons.Donna 08-04-2011 11:08 PM

I made some with fleece and it's kinda slippery, so it took a few wipes just to wipes DD's face clean (can't imagine a poop dipe) kwim. I made some from flats 2 ply serged edge and have been using that for family cloth w/ diaper sprayer as a bidet and I'M IN LOVE:blush: I had some soft velour w/ texture and these are my fav.

OP did you check Big Lots, Ross or Target? They have packs of baby washcloths and there's seem thicker Circo or the Gerber brand. These have been what I've been using for DD's dipe changes and I like that they are thick but yet thin enough to get between things.

ETA: I posted in the craft chat asking for advice and no replies. Here's what they look like:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8&d=1311714517
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...9&d=1311714553

I ended up making a 2nd batch for DH with rounded corners and black serging. He likes the rounded corners..lol.

DarCoopsmommy 08-04-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dons.Donna
I made some with fleece and it's kinda slippery, so it took a few wipes just to wipes DD's face clean (can't imagine a poop dipe) kwim. I made some from flats 2 ply serged edge and have been using that for family cloth w/ diaper sprayer as a bidet and I'M IN LOVE:blush: I had some soft velour w/ texture and these are my fav.

OP did you check Big Lots, Ross or Target? They have packs of baby washcloths and there's seem thicker Circo or the Gerber brand. These have been what I've been using for DD's dipe changes and I like that they are thick but yet thin enough to get between things.

I have not checked those places. I will check this weekend before I buy fabric. Thank you.

Dons.Donna 08-04-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarCoopsmommy (Post 13499515)
I have not checked those places. I will check this weekend before I buy fabric. Thank you.

No problem..I edited my previous post with pics of my 1st batch.

DarCoopsmommy 08-04-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahenson
I was just going to post this. I want to start using cloth wipes and I am pretty good with sewing but do not have a serger, or lots of time. What kind of clothing can I recycle into wipes? Any good blog posts / threads / sites you mamas know? Recommendations in general with using homemade wipes? TIA!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**

I found a good video on you tube. The lady sewed them wrong side out turned them right side out then re did with a straight line. I have also read do a zig zag line but have part of the line fall off the side of the diaper (I hope I'm making sense) and it would almost be like a serger stitch.

ahenson 08-04-2011 11:36 PM

I think I can do a blind hem stitch...maybe that would work? I am tempted to take the scissors to some old shirts and just cut and use!

Babybird4 08-05-2011 12:15 AM

I cut up a few receiving blankets in 8x8 squares. They are just one layer but work great as a wipe. I did the zig zag stitch all the way around (going over the edge a bit).

Dons.Donna 08-05-2011 12:59 AM

Oh sorry I just checked and realized after changing DD that the washcloths are Carter's..these are the ones that are nicer quality..i believe the ones from Ross was better in quality and less expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet using DS Forum using swype..pls excuse typos