Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What sign do you use for breastfeeding? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257108)

ayer79 08-05-2011 10:47 AM

What sign do you use for breastfeeding?

With my ODS I attempted to use the milk sign, but he struggled with that 2 step motion. We ended up using eat, but then we had a hard time when he reached the stage for solids. What sign do you use? yDS is 5mo today so we're starting signing today! I thought about a double fist squeeze, but thought that might be offensive ; ). Wdyd?

crunchymomof3 08-05-2011 11:13 AM

Re: What sign do you use for breastfeeding?

one fist squeeze for milk ,since she now drinks cow milk too sometimes i do momma then milk but mostly it is just the sign for milk since that is her fave thing :) my milk that is

aept 08-05-2011 11:21 AM

Mostly just subbing in to see suggestions - we do a little baby signing but neither of my oldest ever did the milk sign I showed (open and close one hand as if milking a cow.) They used "more" and "all done" and a sign I invented for "light" such as a lamp, light fixture, or the sun.)
We do have a code word though. My oldest he called it nay-nay. It was his first word and the only word he said from 13-16 months. Second ds called it" side". (when he would pop off the first side I would usually say in a cheery voice: "other side?") He was an early talker and it was one of his first words too. He still calls it that even though he weaned around Christmas-time over half a year ago. My breasts are referred to as my "sides."

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ayer79 08-05-2011 12:09 PM

So, if you use the sign, what word do you use for it? I always sign and say the word. So a fist squeeze, then say milk? or eat?

VeganCupcake 08-05-2011 01:02 PM

We use the "milk" sign and the word "milkies".

My DD recognized the sign by 7 or 8 months and would get really excited, but she didn't actually produce it herself until about 15 months.

m&m&m 08-05-2011 01:35 PM

We do single fist squeeze and the term we use is "mommy milk"

then later when other drinks were introduced (like water) we did the cup motion (hand in a "c" position then tilt up) and the term was "drink" or "water"

When we introduced cow's milk, we called it "refridgerator milk" and ds came up with combining the drink motion followed by the milk motion to signify that he wanted refridgerator milk and not mommy milk lol.

crunchymomof3 08-05-2011 01:39 PM

milk sign and say mommy milk or milkies or do you want to nurse ?

PinkSapphire87 08-05-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayer79 (Post 13501628)
With my ODS I attempted to use the milk sign, but he struggled with that 2 step motion. We ended up using eat, but then we had a hard time when he reached the stage for solids. What sign do you use? yDS is 5mo today so we're starting signing today! I thought about a double fist squeeze, but thought that might be offensive ; ). Wdyd?

What does the double fist squeeze mean?

:headscratch:

Naturally Wise 08-05-2011 09:30 PM

We used the double fist squeeze like you're milking a cow.

Pyrodjm 08-06-2011 01:08 AM

Fist squeeze and our word for nursing, "nummies".