Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crazy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257782)

Esme&Quinnsmama 08-06-2011 03:24 PM

Crazy?

My sister in law had her baby boy last Sunday :goodvibes: which we are all really excited about!! I tried BFing my 17 month old when she was first born but the hospital was terrible and wouldn't help at all. Okay, they helped, but every single nurse gave me a different way of doing it. I was confused :banghead:. The second night when I was in pain (CS) and upset because no one could give us the correct answer, a nurse came in and told me that my daughter was starving and that I wasn't feeding her!!! We had just asked her to come in and see if our DD had a fever. We were so upset we gave her a bottle. After that, she would have nothing to do with BFing. Everytime I got her to the breast, she screamed like I was killing her. She had good lungs!!!
Now I see my sister in law with her new baby and they both took the BFing right away. But... he feeds all the time! He wakes up every hour during the night. When we visited when he was 4 days old, he BF'd for 3 of the 4 hours we were there!
I'm expecting our little guy in October.... and I don't know if it's worth it? :nervous: I'm going to be recovering from my second c section. Dh's not taking as much time off of work (2 weeks I think) and I will have a 19 month old running around.
Am I crazy :yikes: ... is it really that bad? Do they really eat that much? My daughter slept almost through the entire night, waking up at 4:30 and then sleeping through the night at 1 month.
Advice!!! :)
Thanks,
Kayla

AndeeL 08-06-2011 03:26 PM

They nurse that much to establish a good supply. They're putting in an order for a healthy supply. :) even tho it seems like a lot, it's so worth it! You get more sleep once you learn to nurse lying down. My.nighttime "waking" consists of open eye, pop baby on, close eye.

All that nursing the first few days is a good excuse to keep your recovering hiney in bed and recover.
And your older kiddo will snuggle in bed with you. It's a good way to reconnect. :goodvibes:

Greenebean214 08-06-2011 05:24 PM

Yes, my DD seemed to be on the bewbs 24/7. It's necessary to let them nurse on demand so they get as much colostrum as possible, and to signal your body to make enough milk. It will even out, and it wont be like that forever. It wasn't easy, but by the 3rd week it was like cake (but we had no issues besides normal soreness and sleep deprivation). As far as sleeping through the night, bfing or ffing shouldn't make that much of a difference. I know FF babies that are still up every 3 hrs at a year old, and BFing babies that STTN at 8 wks. It depends on the baby.

If you really want BFing to work out this time, get the support you need, don't introduce a bottle or pacifier, and offer to nurse as much as possible!

Greenebean214 08-06-2011 06:19 PM

Double post

VeganCupcake 08-06-2011 08:03 PM

Re: Crazy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenebean214 (Post 13509318)
Yes, my DD seemed to be on the bewbs 24/7. It's necessary to let them nurse on demand so they get as much colostrum as possible, and to signal your body to make enough milk. It will even out, and it wont be like that forever. It wasn't easy, but by the 3rd week it was like cake (but we had no issues besides normal soreness and sleep deprivation). As far as sleeping through the night, bfing or ffing shouldn't make that much of a difference. I know FF babies that are still up every 3 hrs at a year old, and BFing babies that STTN at 8 wks. It depends on the baby.

If you really want BFing to work out this time, get the support you need, don't introduce a bottle or pacifier, and offer to nurse as much as possible!

:yeahthat: My DD was constantly nursing and it seemed like she never slept. My DS is a much more relaxed baby and it has been a very different experience--much easier! He nurses pretty frequently, but he's not constantly latched on like my DD was.

aries416 08-06-2011 08:43 PM

That's how my DD was. My son, #2, did that while we were in the hospital, but once we came home, he was going longer.

pix1114 08-06-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenebean214 (Post 13509318)

:agreed:

Mason seemed to nurse all the time. Come to find out he wasn't latching correctly and I had a low supply (the two caused a vicious cycle). He also fell asleep every time he nursed, so he would wake and want to eat again. I had days where I just wore shorts and a nursing bra around the house. :giggle2:

Once I went back to work I would go nurse him at the Center and get so discouraged when they said they had to give him formula after I left (I would be there for a long time and finally have to leave). He must have not liked the formula or he just figured out how things worked because at 2 months he started nursing much better. :nursing: My trips to the Center got less frequent and not as long.

He slept through the night when he was a few months old, but when he started teething he would get up 2-3 times a night. :banghead: This lasted until around 6 months, then it was just once 1-2 times a night. As much as I hated getting my sleep disrupted, I loved getting our alone time at 3 am too. He has been sleeping about 10 hours at night for a little over a month.

Today he is just over 13 months and still nurses 2-3 times a day. I never thought we would still be nursing and the lactation consultant gave me kuddos because she said a lot of Mom's give up when they have problems.

cherrycoke 08-06-2011 09:07 PM

DS would nurse a lot initially because he would fall asleep at the breast before he was full. He's much more efficient now and only falls asleep when he's actually tired and rarely wakes up ten minutes later because he's hungry. We were lucky in that he typically gives us a couple of 4 hour sleeping sessions at night, and has been doing that since we brought him home.

Check out your local Le Leche League for additional support too! Sometimes it's just nice to talk to other nursing moms in person, even if you don't have any questions.