Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   quick quick! help with a question before we buy :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257812)

sugar_booger 08-06-2011 04:20 PM

quick quick! help with a question before we buy :)

My husband just test drove a 2010 Dodge VanCaravan... he drove it over and showed me, and I can only see 1 anchor in the 3rd row, does anybody know if there is another anchor in the very back, or how to put 2 FF seats safely in the third row with this vehicle? DH thinks that you can hook up more than 1 seat the anchor (the anchor is in the middle of the bench)... but that sounds fishy to me, but I don't actually know! I looked in the manual of the van and did not say anything about the number of seats, it just said any tether should reach the anchor because the tether is adjustable.

help!! He's asking at the dealership, but I don't have much trust that the car salesman will be an expert on carseat safetly :giggle:

monica-m 08-06-2011 04:44 PM

Re: quick quick! help with a question before we buy :)

It will show you in the vehicle manual where the tether anchors are, you just sometimes have to dig for the info. According to the LATCH manual there is LATCH in the middle row, and the center of the third row but no additional tether anchors. It says that they are at the bottom back of the seat.

KaylaJayne 08-06-2011 04:44 PM

Our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan only has one anchor on the back bench... it's in the middle.

sugar_booger 08-06-2011 04:51 PM

I was able to find the one in the back... I was just surprised they only have 1 :( BUT the dealership will install a 2nd anchor in the 3rd row for free, so it's all good :thumbsup:

I like how the anchors are really easy to find and use in the middle row with the cap'n chairs!

I'm so excited, if we get this it will be the newest and nicest vehicle I've ever owned :wub:

monica-m 08-06-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar_booger (Post 13509208)
I'm so excited, if we get this it will be the newest and nicest vehicle I've ever owned :wub:

Congratulations! I hope it works out well for you.

CrazyBoysMamma 08-06-2011 04:55 PM

I am not aware of a vehicle that allows more than one seat to be tethered to an anchor. Also, the LATCH in the caravans is a bit funky....it says "center" but in reality installing a seat with the third row LATCH eats up the center and one outboard seat. We rented one a couple months ago and while I loved the stow and go bins to reduce the amount of projectiles I really didn't think that back bench was as carseat friendly as it should be. What exactly do auto manufacturers think people do with minivans? IMO they should make them beyond easy to install seats in....but that's just my little pet peeve.

CrazyBoysMamma 08-06-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar_booger (Post 13509208)
I was able to find the one in the back... I was just surprised they only have 1 :( BUT the dealership will install a 2nd anchor in the 3rd row for free, so it's all good :thumbsup:

I like how the anchors are really easy to find and use in the middle row with the cap'n chairs!

That's awesome! The captains chairs are SUPER easy to install in. It's so nice to have a seat that reclines when you're putting in carseats!

sugar_booger 08-06-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBoysMamma (Post 13509224)
I am not aware of a vehicle that allows more than one seat to be tethered to an anchor. Also, the LATCH in the caravans is a bit funky....it says "center" but in reality installing a seat with the third row LATCH eats up the center and one outboard seat. We rented one a couple months ago and while I loved the stow and go bins to reduce the amount of projectiles I really didn't think that back bench was as carseat friendly as it should be. What exactly do auto manufacturers think people do with minivans? IMO they should make them beyond easy to install seats in....but that's just my little pet peeve.

I totally agree, that's why I was so confused that there was only 1 anchor... I mean it's a VAN, most likely there will be a few kids riding?! :giggle: Dh thought it must be in the middle so you could anchor 3 seats to the centre... I was like "I don't think so, doesn't sound safe to me..." lol (he was just thinking it must be that way, because why would only have 1 otherwise). We have 3 kids, so it will work for us, I just want to be able to use the back bench for 2 kids, so I can stow 1 middle row seat and have easy access to all the kids. When and if we have a 4th, our oldest will be ready for a booster likely, so it should be the vehicle to last us a long time!

CrazyBoysMamma 08-06-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar_booger (Post 13509268)
I totally agree, that's why I was so confused that there was only 1 anchor... I mean it's a VAN, most likely there will be a few kids riding?! :giggle: Dh thought it must be in the middle so you could anchor 3 seats to the centre... I was like "I don't think so, doesn't sound safe to me..." lol (he was just thinking it must be that way, because why would only have 1 otherwise). We have 3 kids, so it will work for us, I just want to be able to use the back bench for 2 kids, so I can stow 1 middle row seat and have easy access to all the kids. When and if we have a 4th, our oldest will be ready for a booster likely, so it should be the vehicle to last us a long time!

Yeah, I'm a little bitter with Toyota over the same thing. I was totally excited about the new Siennas till I found out they put in less anchors and tethers than the previous models. I was like:headscratch:ummm...if I'm looking at an 8 passenger minivan, what do you think would be important? Shouldn't that be a no brainer? I hope you get the van! I want to upgrade SO bad!! I'm tired of my tiny car and kids fighting non stop.