Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Big Island living (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258054)

sleepydaisy 08-07-2011 08:45 AM

Big Island living

Hi Mamas,
Anybody here live on the Big Island?? Tell me about it, we are looking at the possibility of moving there (crossing fingers it may work out), so just tell me all about it etc. :-)

Thanks!!

sleepydaisy 08-08-2011 08:29 AM

Re: Big Island living

nobody??

ittybittycoconuts 08-08-2011 06:45 PM

We just visited in Sept, we live on Oahu. COL is lower, fresh food more reasonable. Real estate seemed more in line with CA that Oahu. I guess Id want to know where your coming from and what your looking for. Have you ever been to HI, where?

sleepydaisy 08-09-2011 12:02 PM

We have been planning on going on vacation this coming spring to some of the islands after my hubby gets back from his deployment. We have lived all over the USA, his dad was army and mine was a minister. Now we are currently air force at shaw afb. So lived all over the mainland. We are just curious about the living there. Been doing a lot of research and looking forward to vacationing there and have just recently steered our sites on possibly living there. We are looking for a more rural life. Want to grow and raise our own food etc.

ittybittycoconuts 08-10-2011 04:57 PM

Well thats the place in HI to do it. The northern part of the island has cattle ranches and farms it reminds me of the midwest alot western theme everywhere lots of cowboy boots being worn, southern part lots of coffee and specialized crops much more hippy, relaxing vibe going on. We moved to Oahu for DH's job and they said there is a possibility he would have an opportunity on the big island either Hilo or Kailua-Kona in a few years so we really dug down and saw the whole island, went neighborhood cruising and ate/shopped away from the tourist areas. For me personally I didnt care for it. It was waaaaaaaay too slow for my liking. We like the option to get food and have night life after 10pm on a weekend if we chose. I also didnt find the people as friendly and it smelled like Los Angeles(IMO) probably because of the volcano? Humidity was like the east coast or florida while we were there insta-sweat everytime we went outside. Ive yet to experience that thick heavy humidity here. Most everyone we met moved from the Mainland or Austrailia. DH and I agreed driving the island was like a mini tour of the mainland regions without any major cities. Its mostly wide open. We didnt like the harshness of the landscapes its nothing like the lush hawaii that people envision almost all of the coastline is rocky or sandy with the volcanic rocks. We do think when we're older and no longer have the desire to be spontanious and crazy and more settled in our ways it might be a nice place to live.

If your looking at real estate the cheaper it is the closer to the volcano it is and you'll have crazy insurance requirements. DH has a family member with a house and some property there and we spoke to a few realtors in Hilo and Kona to get some ideas as to cost and whatnot in the different areas.

I have a feeling we will be going again in a few months to revisit Kailua-Kona. Corporate went to check out a site for the new store and DH is a candidate for it so I'll update for you after we go.

sleepydaisy 08-15-2011 07:47 AM

Yeah, we want to live further out from a big populous. We want to slow down and get out of the rat race of normal life. I live on the east coast, so used to the humidity. LOL. And we don't do the whole night life thing. So it sounds like the Big Island would be great for us. HAHA.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl (Post 13534683)
Well thats the place in HI to do it. The northern part of the island has cattle ranches and farms it reminds me of the midwest alot western theme everywhere lots of cowboy boots being worn, southern part lots of coffee and specialized crops much more hippy, relaxing vibe going on. We moved to Oahu for DH's job and they said there is a possibility he would have an opportunity on the big island either Hilo or Kailua-Kona in a few years so we really dug down and saw the whole island, went neighborhood cruising and ate/shopped away from the tourist areas. For me personally I didnt care for it. It was waaaaaaaay too slow for my liking. We like the option to get food and have night life after 10pm on a weekend if we chose. I also didnt find the people as friendly and it smelled like Los Angeles(IMO) probably because of the volcano? Humidity was like the east coast or florida while we were there insta-sweat everytime we went outside. Ive yet to experience that thick heavy humidity here. Most everyone we met moved from the Mainland or Austrailia. DH and I agreed driving the island was like a mini tour of the mainland regions without any major cities. Its mostly wide open. We didnt like the harshness of the landscapes its nothing like the lush hawaii that people envision almost all of the coastline is rocky or sandy with the volcanic rocks. We do think when we're older and no longer have the desire to be spontanious and crazy and more settled in our ways it might be a nice place to live.

If your looking at real estate the cheaper it is the closer to the volcano it is and you'll have crazy insurance requirements. DH has a family member with a house and some property there and we spoke to a few realtors in Hilo and Kona to get some ideas as to cost and whatnot in the different areas.

I have a feeling we will be going again in a few months to revisit Kailua-Kona. Corporate went to check out a site for the new store and DH is a candidate for it so I'll update for you after we go.

ittybittycoconuts 08-19-2011 06:40 PM

Sounds like your heaven my hell :roflmbo:

BALM! Baby 08-29-2011 01:59 AM

We live on the Kona side (Captain Cook). We moved here on nothing but faith! 7 mos. pregnant, a 1 year old...that was 1.5 years ago...we're still here & ABSOLUTELY in LOVE with the Island! Hawaii (& in particular, Big Island) has inspired us to start a Cloth Diaper Service and we also have a retail online store. We're starting some major overhauling in the community to teach people about reusing / reducing / recycling.

Anyway, you should come (: Feel free to pm me for anything! (:

BALM! Baby 08-29-2011 02:01 AM

Oh...and rural is what you'll get...it's awesome! Also, prob. the BEST place for farming! BEST Mama! I really hope you make it out here (if you haven't already)!

THE NOW FAMILY 11-24-2011 01:50 AM

Did you make it over?