Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   HE Toploader mamas...I have a few questions for you... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258066)

alaskamum 08-07-2011 09:16 AM

HE Toploader mamas...I have a few questions for you...

We're looking at HE toploaders right now--our FL is starting to act up again and I'm not about to soak a couple hundred dollars into repairing it again. I think I have some time before it will crap out completely; last time it acted up on and off for a few months before I HAD to repair it.

SO....I'm looking at the HE toploaders. Right now, on sale, for the same price, I could get a Whirlpool Cabrio or a Maytag Bravos. They are very similar, except for a few key features. Can anyone tell me which features are worth getting, or not? There's only a few things. Oh, and I found out that Whirlpool owns Maytag now, so they are basically the same machine, just with different labels on them. They are both made in the USA, which is important to me.

But here are the features that are different in these two models I'm looking at:

Whirlpool:
has 4.0 cubic feet capacity
Stain treatment cycle (which I read about, it actually seems like it would be useful)
2 rinse temperatures (I'm assuming warm and cold)

Maytag:
3.6 cubic feet capacity (so a little smaller)
Sanitary cycle (but there is no internal heater on this model so I'm wondering how this will actually work??)
1 rinse temperature (cold I'm assuming)

Any opinions? Thanks!

blueone 08-07-2011 09:22 AM

Re: HE Toploader mamas...I have a few questions for you...

We have a cabrio. It's not that model you have listed. It doesn't have 2 rinse temp cycles or a stain removal setting. However it works great! I start with a rinse set to no spin. Then I set it on Bulky, change the temp to Hot, and cycle length to Heavy Duty followed by an extra rinse.

Since we use Cheer I then to a light warm or hot cycle with no detergent after to make sure the detergent is all rinsed out.

The wash works great!

alaskamum 08-07-2011 09:31 AM

Do you do your last cycle on Bulky too?

Octmom2009 08-07-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueone (Post 13512109)
We have a cabrio. It's not that model you have listed. It doesn't have 2 rinse temp cycles or a stain removal setting. However it works great! I start with a rinse set to no spin. Then I set it on Bulky, change the temp to Hot, and cycle length to Heavy Duty followed by an extra rinse.

Since we use Cheer I then to a light warm or hot cycle with no detergent after to make sure the detergent is all rinsed out.

The wash works great!

Do you not find the bulky setting uses too much water? I feel like there is not enough agitating of the diapers as there is to much water.

kateroc 08-07-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueone (Post 13512109)

The wash works great!

This exactly! I love how huge it is, so that would be a factor in favor of the Whirlpool too :)

Faith and Granola 08-07-2011 01:58 PM

I have a Maytag Bravos, but I'm not sure it is the same model as what you are looking at. It is pretty middle of the road...I got it for $699 from Home Depot.

I love it! I actually returned my other HE Top Loader after using it on diapers for a few months and ending up very frustrated.

I can really customize the settings, so it is perfect for diapers. Even though it is a low water machine, you can fool the settings and get plenty of water.

After some trial and error, this is my system (and it works great)
-"Rinse and Spin"- select low spin, 20 mins (this will rinse the diapers in cold water)
-"Rinse and Spin"- select no spin, 9 mins (this will get all of the diapers soaking wet..and rinses them again quickly as well...the sopping wet diapers will not absorb any additional water in the wash cycle and tricks the washer as the same time to fill the tub with more water.)
-"Power Wash" - 77mins. The machine will automatically select Hot, Extra Heavy, Deep Clean, and Extra Rinse

Thats really all you should need. I throw and extra rinse in the end just for good measure.

And even though it does not allow you to rinse in warm or hot water, you can still pull it off with a little creativity. I set mine on "Bulky" in hot water and let it agitate around for a few minutes. Then I cancel the wash and turn the dial over to "Drain and Spin" Viola! Hot water rinses...perfect for stripping!

Hope that helps :)

alaskamum 08-07-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith and Granola (Post 13513320)
I have a Maytag Bravos, but I'm not sure it is the same model as what you are looking at. It is pretty middle of the road...I got it for $699 from Home Depot.

I love it! I actually returned my other HE Top Loader after using it on diapers for a few months and ending up very frustrated.

Hope that helps :)

Can I ask which one you returned? Just curious!

Faith and Granola 08-07-2011 04:41 PM

It was a GE 3.6 cu. ft. Capacity Top Load Washer (Model # GTWN5050MWS) I got it on sale and the reviews weren't too bad, but it didn't work well for us at all...even for our normal clothes

blueone 08-07-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octmom2009 (Post 13512796)
Do you not find the bulky setting uses too much water? I feel like there is not enough agitating of the diapers as there is to much water.

No, I have no issues with it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskamum (Post 13512158)
Do you do your last cycle on Bulky too?

Yep!