Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How often does your 3 month old eat during the day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258230)

AlliDee 08-07-2011 03:11 PM

How often does your 3 month old eat during the day?

My 15 week old twins are sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night now, so I expect them to still want to nurse frequently during the day to make up for the longer break at night. But it seems like they are wanting to eat every 2 hours or so during the day. Is that normal? Of course I'm worried about my supply, and am wondering if that's why they can't hold out longer. I guess it's also possible that I'm misinterpreting their fussy periods for hunger...it's so hard to tell! I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement and insight!

Thanks!

Greenebean214 08-07-2011 03:27 PM

My 12 week old eats every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 during the night. I offer as much as possible and if she is fussy and isn't taking it, she wants her paci, she is fighting sleep, or has gas. I don't think them eating every 2 hours is abnormal, especially if they are sleeping longer stretches at night.

shreck 08-07-2011 03:32 PM

Re: How often does your 3 month old eat during the day?

My ds just turned 3mo and usually goes about 6-8hrs at night with no nursing, but then he eats often during the day to make up for it which I think is pretty normal for this age. He might have one daytime feeding that's stretched out to 3hrs, but mostly it's every 2hrs all day long, so about 9 or 10 feedings total in 24hrs. I think 8-12 is the recommended amount to shoot for at this age.

AlliDee 08-07-2011 03:42 PM

Thanks for your quick replies mamas! I'm glad to hear your babies are in a similar routine. I guess sometimes with two it just feels like all I do is nurse!

Bellamoon 08-07-2011 05:39 PM

My ds is a bit older at 5 m but he sleeps one 5-6 hour stretch at night and eats every 2 hours during the day. We average 10 feedings a day

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

NEWBUTWILLING 08-07-2011 05:52 PM

My almost 4 month old eats every 2-3 hours during the day and from 6PM-9PM he eats every hour. 9PM is bed time and he sleeps for a good 7-8 hour stretch at night. Gets up at 4AM or 5AM eats and go back to sleep till 7AM or 8AM.

ThreadsThatBind 08-07-2011 06:14 PM

Your lo's sound just fine. :) Dd is 4 months old and nurses between every 1 and 4 hours during the day. Bf'd babies nurse for more reasons than just hunger. They could be hungry that often or they could be looking for comfort, snuggles, etc. Bf'ing is more than just food. :goodvibes:

AlliDee 08-11-2011 12:42 AM

Thanks for your support...it's good for me to remember that sometimes my babies just need to nurse for the comfort and snuggles. During the times of high frequency I always doubt my supply...but the past few days I've just been trying to relax and enjoy my babies.

cherrycoke 08-11-2011 10:43 AM

DS will be 3 months on the 15th and does the same amount of eating your LOs do. I used to doubt my supply in the evenings because, instead of a witching hour, DS nurses almost non-stop. My supply is lower in the evenings but that just means he nurses longer to fill his tummy before finally going to sleep.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 08-11-2011 02:15 PM

My 3 month olds ate every 3-3.5 hours during the day usually something like 7, 10, 1,4,7 and 10pm. They were all STTN from 10PM to 7PM by that point.