Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HOW do you nurse in the dark? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259014)

hippieintraining 08-08-2011 11:51 PM

HOW do you nurse in the dark?

I have to have a dim light on. I need to be able to see my baby.

I've had each of my babies latch on to a part of my boob that wasn't my nipple. OUCH. I'm big (34Jish) so I'm not sure if that's the reason why...

If you have smaller boobs, is this an issue?

Bellamoon 08-09-2011 12:38 AM

I have a night light in my room that provides enough light to see what ds is doing. I'm smaller. 34d and have rather flat nips (even after nursing 3 kids) but he never latches on to anything other then the nip!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

OnAnnaTime 08-09-2011 01:31 AM

I have a lamp that's pretty bright. DS occasionally latches onto the side of my breast at night, but has good aim for the most part. He latches on the sides during the day more often, it's funny to him. I'm a 34DD, so smaller than you but not small in the grand scheme, hehe.

vintagegyrl 08-09-2011 05:03 AM

Re: HOW do you nurse in the dark?

I had a night light near the bed when DS was smaller. Now that he is older any small nightlight in the room works. he's pretty good though - he always gets it right now that he is a year old. you can also buy those nightlights with little switches - that way i could sleep in the dark when I needed it but switch it on when the baby woke. and it wasn't easy. laying down is hard when they are first born. Sometimes we would have to move to the couch. Also during times of teething with the front teeth he would slide off a lot and moving to the couch during those feeds helped, too. good luck mama!

kissum 08-09-2011 05:06 AM

I use my cell phone to shine light if we need it.

A&M'smommy 08-09-2011 07:40 AM

I used a night light with a switch when she was littler and we were still figuring it out. But now she usually gets it. I use my cell phone now if we are having a dilemma... Lol

RedheadMom09 08-09-2011 10:25 AM

We needed a light until DD was about a year. Since then she's been able to latch herself even in complete dark. She kinda feels around until she gets it right and we can both tell if she's not centered. She'll unlatch and shift around until she gets it right.

linzbear 08-09-2011 11:24 AM

I usually pinch my nipple, put it to DS2' mouth, and let him suck it in. I'm a 32I/J, so I know what you mean when they latch on to the wrong spot!

I'm too lazy to get up and turn a light on or even really move much while I'm mostly asleep, so that's what works for me. I imagine if you have to deal with bad latch it wouldn't work, but neither of my kids have had a problem with latching.

jenmm 08-09-2011 12:05 PM

There's a nightlight on in the next room. I'm not turning one on in our room. I haven't had too many problems nursing my kids in the dark. I'm a 40DD. Though my son has missed a few times and left huge purple marks.

Esmommy 08-09-2011 12:10 PM

When they were newborn I had a small lamp I turned on or turned the tv on(Sometimes on a channel that was just static, no volume and a thin blanket over it so it was dim).Now, he's 8mo. he squirms over to me and I just pinch my nipple and put it to his lips and he latches and nurses and we both fall back to sleep:)