Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Struggles & Support (
-   -   to U/S or not to U/S? (

NCFlanagan 08-09-2011 08:27 PM

to U/S or not to U/S?
Three losses in a row, (healthy 15yr old and 2.5 yr old), and now pregnant again. Do I have multiple ultrasounds over the course of the pregnancy to keep fears at bay and keep an eye on the baby, or have no ultrasounds (besides the one today) and hope for the best?

I have had three losses in the last 14 months (June '10, 6 wks; Sept '10, 8 wks, twins; Apr '11, 18wks+3d, girl). I have a 15 yr old from my first marriage and a 2.5 yr old with my current husband.

[The first loss was early, unexpected, and spontaneous. The second was spontaneous, but only after going in for my routine U/S, which showed no heartbeats. The third I decided to be induced for delivery, after I had a feeling for a few weeks that something was wrong and I left work early to have a second U/S that confirmed the baby had passed. (First U/S showed strong heartbeat and no abnormalities.)]

I knew I was pregnant again a few days before my period was due - I woke up with a wicked gag reflex, and I only ever get that way when I'm pregnant. I had my first U/S today, and it showed my babe measuring exactly where it should be, 5wks+6d. The tech couldn't get the machine to pick up the heart tones, but we could very clearly see the tiny little heart beating away on the screen.

I can't get excited for this pregnancy - I am waiting for the day that I get the news that I've lost this one, too. That being said, the lead-up to an ultrasound now makes me wicked anxious and physically ill. So, I'm torn - do I have every ultrasound that they offer to keep an eye on the baby and hope and pray that, if something does go wrong, we can catch it in time? Or, do I say 'no, thank you' to any more ultrasounds and just wait for whatever happens?

What would you do?

LaughingPeaMama 08-09-2011 08:38 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
I insisted on early us with dd and with this one after only one loss that was ectopic. If it were me I'd need the us. And I used a Doppler for both. If something goes wring I want to know so I can deal with it. Not be bowled over. That being said when I was pregnant with the ectopic I never felt the happiness I felt with dd and this one. It's like I knew something was wrong even though I didnt know what it was

Ardenne 08-09-2011 08:42 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
:hugs: I hear you, absolutely -- I've been pondering what I'll want to do the next time I manage to conceive, too, now that we've lost 4 in a row. I'm thinking I'll opt for a combined approach -- ultrasounds shortly after the times of my previous losses, to reassure me that all is well, and just decide on the others as they come, depending on how anxious I'm feeling. (In my case, it's a financial issue too, b/c my insurance won't cover the ultrasounds -- but I'm sure I'll still want at least a few.) I'm also really considering getting a BabyBeat, if we get far enough for a Doppler to help, for daily reassurance.

Long story short... I don't think anyone can predict how you'll feel as you progress, perhaps not even you. If it's causing more anxiety than it alleviates, by all means, skip it; there's rarely anything they can do, at least for the first half of the pregnancy, so it's just a matter of knowing sooner rather than later what's going on. Just take it a day at a time, imho, and be gentle with yourself; anxiety is completely normal, under the circumstances. Llet your OB's office know you'll call them if you decide you would feel better with another U/S, but if you won't, then don't feel like it's necessary.

:hugs: Prayers for a healthy pregnancy this time around.

HeatherlovesCDs 08-09-2011 09:05 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
I think you are going to have to go with your gut on this. I have not been through the losses you have, but I know myself and I know I would want the u/s's. But, like Ardenne said, if they cause you more stress than not getting them, it may not be worth it to you. I would just go with what you feel more comfortable with. Also, that may change as you get farther along. Maybe right now, you want one every chance you get, but as you go along you decide you don't need them as much. Just go with the flow and what gives you the most peace of mind.

Congrats on the good appt. :)

Janine 08-09-2011 09:13 PM

I had two loses, one at 7 weeks and one at 12 weeks. For me, I appreciated having more ultrasounds. I really needed the extra reassurance to stay sane. The extra ultrasounds allowed me to enjoy pregnancy in a way I wouldn't have been able to do without the ultrasounds. I wasn't completely without worry, but it did ease my mind a lot to see the baby was okay and to know that I would be able to check again soon. I also rented a doppler so I could check at home. I don't think the extra monitoring is right for everyone. For some it might just add to the stress. But for me, it helped. I'm so sorry for your losses. *hugs*

Christylkeller 08-10-2011 02:43 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
Oh, momma!! Congrats on the new pregnancy! I just recently had a loss at 17 weeks. Ay my follow up appt we discussed how a future pregnancy would be handled. My Dr told me that I could/would have frequent (monthly) U/S to offer some reassurance. But truth be told... I would LOVE to see my little one each month, but I don't know if it would be reassuring. There was nothing that they could have done to save my son if whatever caused his death had been detected by an U/S in those moments... so... that leaves me with many of the same questions you have. Right now I am leaning towards the extra assurance, however once I am pregnant I may change my mind. I know I'm probably not much help in helping you decide... I just wanted to offer a bit of support and understanding!

NCFlanagan 08-12-2011 08:32 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
Thanks, everyone. I haven't made a decisions as to whether or not I'll have any more ultrasounds, but I do think that I will call my midwife on Monday to touch base and hopefully get some reassurance. I really feel like there has to be *something* that I should be doing to make this one stick!

Ten 08-12-2011 08:45 PM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?

Our daughter left us after 32 weeks in my womb, and we had some early losses after as well.

I haven't gotten any u/s at all with this pregnancy, nor do I plan to. It wouldn't have saved the others, the anticipation would make me neurotic, (I'm pretty sure I'd have a panic attack at the actual u/s since the only one we got for DD was after she left), and I know that ten minutes after the u/s I'd be back to worrying. I'm just trying to take things one day at a time, be grateful for this little one as long as s/he decides to stay, and hope for the best.

Every mama is different, though - maybe you'll know when you get there if you want it or not. No one says you have to decide the whole plan now... and no one says you can't change your mind, even if you do. :hugs:

MaBacon 08-13-2011 06:47 AM

Re: to U/S or not to U/S?
I'm too high risk to not have US's. (13 early m/cs, 2 ectopics, 1-17wk loss of DD to trisomy 18, all 4 living kids were 34wk preemies with lots of pg complications but completely worth it!) Reguardless of if I didn't want them, I need them! Also they make me feel better knowing my baby is safe and it decreases my stress level which is better for my situation. I also used a doppler with every pg but my 1st. I bought it off ebay and it makes me feel so much better. I think you need to do what ever you feel comfortable with and will cause the least stress. Congrats on the pregnancy and ((HUGS)) on the decision.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.