Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Struggles & Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   MMC- how long is safe to wait?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260036)

sheenashine 08-10-2011 05:12 PM

MMC- how long is safe to wait??

So I posted something similar on FF, but I thought being a more "crunchy" group here I might get more answers...

My baby quit growing at 6w1d, right now I'm somewhere in week 10. My MW said she will give me until the 18th of this month before she starts pushing the misoprostol or a D&C. My home birth MW said it's safe to wait even longer (but she didn't give me an exact timeline)- she also gave me a list of herbs to help move things along- but I am hesitant to use them, though less hesitant than the other options.
Sigh, I'm probably making this more difficult than it needs to be. The bottom line is I really DON'T want to take the misoprostol OR have a D&C- I am OK waiting, even if it takes 2-3 more weeks... but I am unsure as to how long is safe and when I should stop simply waiting and start trying to get things moving.
I have googled all over the place but can't find any information on this :/ Does anyone know how long is safe to wait???

TIA :hugs:

ETA: I *finally* started my MC yesterday. So far it's been just fine, like any normal period... We'll see what the next few days bring.
I'm glad I didn't have to resort to the misoprostol or (*shudder*) D&C... I am WAY to much of a sissy to deal with that. :(
Thanks again, mamas for all your input and support. :hugs:

UCmama09 08-11-2011 08:49 AM

Re: MMC- how long is safe to wait??

Oh Sheena, I don't know, but I'm so sorry. I saw your post in the prefolds and flats forum and knew something had to be wrong if you were selling instead of buying :sadno: I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you peace. I'm just so sorry, mama :hugs:

Crankenstein'sMama0709 08-11-2011 09:38 AM

Well, I was 9 weeks & 1 day when we discovered no hb. The baby probably stopped growing a few weeks before. I didn't want drugs or a D&C so I opted to wait. It took exactly one week to start bleeding. I started bleeding heavier 2 days later, I think I bled for 4 more days and I was done. I was told to watch for a fever thats a sign of an infection, I say wait for however long you feel most comfortable. but :hugs: in the mean time, it breaks my heart that others have to go thru this too. Its been a little over a month for me and I'm still struggling.

sheenashine 08-11-2011 11:11 AM

Thanks UCmama :hugs:

Crankenstein'smama, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is amazing how the loss of something you have only had for a such a short time can cause so much heartache. Sending you lots of healing vibes.

pinknpurfect 08-11-2011 03:17 PM

I'm so sorry :hugs: with my second miscarriage the us confirmed the baby had stopped growing and four weeks later I still wasn't bleeding, my levels were still high and I had an us to confirm the gestational sac had collapsed. At that point I opted for a d&c in fear of an infection.

This miscarriage I miscarried around 7 weeks, and it took 2 weeks to finally pass, I had light to moderate bleeding and cramping but it stopped and my cervix closed. Blood tests determined my levels were dropping so I waited it out. My levels just hit 0 on Monday.

:bighug: we were in the same ddc. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Ardenne 08-11-2011 06:15 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:

FWIW, both my hb midwife and my OB both told me that as long as I monitor myself closely for any fever or any foul-smelling discharge, I'm fine waiting as long as I'm comfortable waiting for m/c to happen on its own. Infection doesn't happen instantly; you'd have enough warning to be able to do the misoprostol or d&c if there's a need for it. (Probably d&c, though; if there's already infection, they would likely recommend against the misoprostol since it takes several days to finish its work, like a natural m/c, even if it starts working right away.)

JeDeeLenae 08-11-2011 06:25 PM

I'm pretty sure my last bean stopped growing 4-5 weeks before my miscarriage. I didn't hear a heartbeat at 9 weeks and my hcg levels were on the low side after looking back at the results again. I miscarried at 12-13 weeks.

Sorry for your loss. I'm hoping you don't need as much grieving time as I did. :hugs:

sheenashine 08-11-2011 08:27 PM

Jennifer, I'm so sorry you lost your bean too! :hugs:

Ardenne, Thank you sooo soo much for your post! That's exactly the information I was looking for. I was beginning to suspect that was the case when I couldn't find anything googling around. I really feel like my body has a wisdom deeper than my own and sometimes, even though I would really like to argue, I have to just be patient and listen. My heart hasn't let go of this baby and I'm really beginning to feel like that's the one thing holding me back at this point... and maybe I need another week or two before I have to officially say goodbye. Again, thank you for your post.

Cassie, :hugs: mama.

Ardenne 08-12-2011 05:09 AM

You're welcome. I'm so glad it helped. :hugs:

Please keep us posted on how it goes. Fwiw, I did find it easier to heal once the physical part of the m/c was over.... but that didn't mean I wanted to rush it, either, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

NCFlanagan 08-12-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardenne (Post 13541834)
... as long as I monitor myself closely for any fever or any foul-smelling discharge, I'm fine waiting as long as I'm comfortable waiting for m/c to happen on its own...

this!