Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   is this normal?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260169)

sblakeley 08-10-2011 09:58 PM

is this normal??

DD is a week old so my supply is a tad out of control. Tonight I was oozing milk out of not only the nipple but also the pores of the areola. I ended up pumping off a few ounces to ease up the pressure. I've been trying to do this as a last resort as to not further increase the over supply. I didn't know I could ooze milk out of there...

Also wondering if DD might have a food allergy/intolerance. Her poop is dark orange like darker than pumpkin color and is very stinks. Like a district sulfur smell. She is EBF.
Thoughts on these??

TIA.:thumbs-up:

aept 08-10-2011 10:50 PM

I have no idea about the sulfur smell.
How is her amount of output? My ds had EBF poop that color around her age. His output was ok but barely adequate. He took quite a while to start gaining. He was just not eating enough. For him this was due to sleepiness/mild jaundice/poor latch.
His poops are now more of a normal yellowish color now that he is gaining well.
I am not trying to say your DD is not eating enough, just something to consider.
Also, what color is your pumped milk? At that time when my ds's poops were more orangey brownish my pumped milk was pale yellow. If he spit up it was bright yellow sometimes. (Now my pumped milk looks more white.) Milk could be many colors and be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

AlliDee 08-11-2011 12:52 AM

Re: is this normal??

There are a lot of variations of normal when it comes to poop. LOL! I think you only need to worry if it looks chalky white or if your newborn is not having adequate wet/dirty diapers at this point. If your LO is only a week old and your milk is still coming in it could just be the transition stools that come after the meconium. Definitely talk to your ped or a lactation consultant at your next appt for peace of mind though. As far as leaking out of the pores around your areola, I had that too. It may or may not subside as your supply regulates. I still have one or two pores that leak when my girls nurse and they are almost 4 months. If you're pumping anyway, why not collect as much milk as you can and freeze it in case you need it later? Everyone is different, and the early days of nursing can be so confusing, so if you have access to a lactation consultant or a breastfeeding support group I encourage you to talk to someone in person. Good luck, and congrats on your new baby!

AlliDee 08-11-2011 12:56 AM

Oh, and food allergies usually show up as green or mucousy poop, or even blood stained poop. (Green poop can also mean too much fore milk which makes for a fussy/gassy baby). So I don't think you need to worry about changing your diet at this point. :)

sblakeley 08-11-2011 08:33 AM

Thanks I feel much better! Older DD was in the NICU at this point so I was exclusively pumping and don't remember any of these things! If I was full I just pumped more often. I'm trying not to pump too much basically only when I can't stand it any longer to keep from artificially increasing my supply too much.

I think she is getting adequate milk, yellow in color BTW. She is pooping like a champ. She has been pretty sleepy suggestions for how to get her more awake?? I've been stripping her naked and using the baby doll eyeball method (sitting up eyes open, laying down eyes closed). She was pretty juandice, but that is getting better now.

3ringcircus 08-11-2011 12:04 PM

I second the pumping when you need to - with my 1st I didn't and ended up with stretch marks!
As for keeping her awake, I nurse him when he is hungry, then change diapers in between sides to wake him back up good. I also rub his head, cheeks, feet when he is drifting off to help keep him awake.
My baby is also 1 wk today and his stool is just now yellow after being various shades of orange, brown and green so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Probably related to the jaundice.
HTH - I know my suggestions are a little obvious but sometimes when your tired don't think about doing the obvious things so I thought I would mention it.

NewMommy37 08-11-2011 01:20 PM

We used a COLD washcloth on DS's face to rouse him and stripping his clothing off, a bath too cold for his liking was a surefire to wake him up, but it also made him very mad!!!

A warm baby is a sleepy baby.