Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Playtex Embrace pump (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260826)

CurtsBabyMama 08-12-2011 09:32 AM

Playtex Embrace pump

Has anyone ever used a Playtex breastpump? With DS I bought a Medela double electric and used it about 3 months before I sold it because DS didn't like bottles. I'm still BFing DS but we are expecting again in Jan. and I hope to pump so that DH can have feeding time with her too. I have loads of the dropin bottles and planned on using them, so it kinda made more sense to me to get a Playtex pump. What do you mamas recommend? TIA!

shreck 08-12-2011 09:40 AM

Re: Playtex Embrace pump

I tried that pump and didn't like it. It hurt, and it wasn't effective at removing milk for me. It took 15min to get drops, but I could turn right around and hand express an ounce or more in less than 5min. So, it's not that the milk wasn't there, it's just that the pump wasn't removing it.

From what I've read it's better to get one of the higher quality ones. I've used a hospital grade Medela before, and it worked much, much better.

melilo 08-12-2011 10:04 AM

Hmm, completely the opposite from the pp...

I LOVED this pump.

I HATED the hard plastic Medela flanges... The Playtex is uber comfortable and removes milk really well for me. It is a closed system, so no chance of milk backing up and getting gross. Has separate control for speed and strength of suction. Love the little bag for milk bottles, can discreetly store milk in the fridge at work.

That said, there is one major flaw with this pump. You MUST buy new cups after a few months. The hard plastic is too weak to withstand being constantly taken apart and put back together. Mine lasted about 6 months (pumping every day for 2 weeks, then later 5 days a week at work) before I lost suction and had to replace them. It cost $30 for a new set. Got them from teebop.com

I still like it a lot. It is very comfortable, and works great. I did a LOT of research before I chose to keep it (it was a shower gift) over buying an Ameda. I chose it over the Ameda because I heard some of them beep constantly...lol.

One note about the drop-ins. Some people can use them, but I spilled milk EVERY time I tried to pump into one. I have to able to sit the thing down on the counter and then start to clean up. I don't know how people manage bags...I just stick to bottles. All mine are made specifically for milk storage: some, Lansinoh, some Medela, some Evenflo (don't buy those, they leak and the lids crack), and the pump comes with 2. I also have some Avent that I bought for the manual, and use those with the adapters. I find those leaked at first, but maybe it was just me. Now I'm just uber cautious about keeping all my bottles upright all the time...

FWIW, I have a manual Avent pump (so jealous about pp being able to hand express that much, my hands are sore before I get 1/2 oz.), and I like the soft silicone on it as well, so I may consider an Avent for next baby.

Wow, long post!

CurtsBabyMama 08-12-2011 10:47 AM

Thanks mamas! I actually have about 50 (seriously) Avent bottles, but I had heard that dropins were better for BF babies. Maybe I should research the Avent pump some!

bcb1961 08-12-2011 10:49 AM

I've never tried the Playtex but it is not known as a high quality pump. If I were you, I'd get a manual pump, since you won't be pumping that often. I have read the Advent Isis is the best.

I wouldn't worry about what kind of bottles you are using. I definitely wouldn't let that influence my pump purchase. I'm using Breastflow next time and they don't even make an pump adaptor so :( But it is easy to transfer and it doesn't make for more washing b/c you just pump into the same 2 bottles every time and pour the milk into the other style bottles.

Oh and to the PP, I have an Ameda and it never beeped so...?

CurtsBabyMama 08-12-2011 06:09 PM

I went to a local kids and baby exchange sell today, with NO intention of buying a breastpump (the idea of a used one grosses me out). Anyways, there was a BNIB Medela Pump In Style for $75!!!! You best bet I grabbed that baby up! :) Guess my pump issue is resolved!

shreck 08-12-2011 06:13 PM

Yeah, what a deal! I've heard great things about those pumps.

CurtsBabyMama 08-12-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreck (Post 13548553)
Yeah, what a deal! I've heard great things about those pumps.

Amazing deal! :happyclap: I had a Medela pump with DS, though it wasn't as nice as the In Style but it defiently was a great pump!

bcb1961 08-15-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtsBabyMama (Post 13548534)
I went to a local kids and baby exchange sell today, with NO intention of buying a breastpump (the idea of a used one grosses me out). Anyways, there was a BNIB Medela Pump In Style for $75!!!! You best bet I grabbed that baby up! :) Guess my pump issue is resolved!

:lostit: Great deal mama!