Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How many ounces... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261426)

kcmather 08-13-2011 02:19 PM

How many ounces...

Someone told me that with ebf babies you never have to increase the amount of ounces that you feed them that your milk will increase in calories as they get older. Is this true or am I just really gullible?

If it's not true I am going to kick myself because I only bought bottles that hold 5 oz because I believed it. lol

Barbarap 08-13-2011 02:29 PM

Re: How many ounces...

DS#1 NEVER took over 5 ounces. He usually took 4 and I think at some point we increased to about 4.5.

DS#2 was the same way.

I Ep'd until they were a year old. Even with regular cows milk for DS#2 he still drinks in small quantities.

You should probably be okay. If not, just pick up 1-2 of the little larger bottles. If they do take more milk in it may not be until later in the evening.

Mamma527 08-13-2011 02:44 PM

I think what happens is that when they get older they drink more at one time, but then go longer between feedings. So as an example here is what DS did

For 8 hours at daycare
4 months to about 6 months - three 4 oz bottles~ 12 oz
7 months to a year -two 6 oz bottles plus baby food~ 12 oz

I liked the bigger bottles since I felt like it was easier to spill when you have 5 ounces in a 5 oz bottle rather than in the 9 oz bottles.

Wanderlust 08-13-2011 03:09 PM

my sons never drank big breastmilk bottles either. When they were 11 months old and I started weaning myself with pumping, I supplemented a feeding or two a day with formula. The formula feedings they wanted 8 ounces but if the next feeding was breastmilk, they would only drink about 5 ounces of the breastmilk

eta: I also liked the bigger bottles too. They were nice for when my boys were learning to hold their own bottle- it was easier for them to hold the big ones

palsmama 08-13-2011 03:27 PM

That is absolutely true. Your milk changes for your babies needs. Bf babies rarely take more than 4 oz at a fEed. Completely different than a formula baby. You have to increase the volume of formula in order to increase the nutrient content. Thus formula babies need Higher volume vs a bf baby. Our bodies do amazing things!

massie2012 08-13-2011 03:40 PM

:happyclap:I'm so happy I just read this thread, I had the same question. My 11 month old only takes 4-5 oz of breastmilk and when I supplement with formula its the same thing. I really wondered if my dd was getting enough. I'm happy to see other babes eating the same amount.

ssummerer 08-13-2011 08:00 PM

My son never took more than 5 oz at a feeding all the way up to 14 months when he weaned off breast milk. I never used the larger bottles. I think you should be all set.

DevonP 08-14-2011 12:44 AM

I found this article super helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
My son is almost 9 mos. and still only takes a 4 oz. bottle at daycare b/c of how much he nurses.

SenoraE 08-14-2011 12:30 PM

We only used 5 oz bottles with DS # 1 - partly because I didn't want the sitter to give him too much. :) But he was fine! :) That's our plan with # 2 as well. He's 8 months now.

colin-mylilguy 08-14-2011 01:32 PM

Check out the sticky on "the benefits of extended breastfeed" because it talks about how breast milk changes as baby gets older and the fat content and protein increases.

For what its worth, my LO never takes more than 2.5 oz per feeding. He is EBF and at one point I was worried he wasn't getting enough (and to explain how ridiculous it is that I was even concerned, my LO was born @ 5 lbs, was nearly 7 lbs by 2 wks, consistently gained nearly 2 lbs a month till about 5 months and then has gained about a lb a month... I was being totally paranoid.... He is 19 lbs at 8 months & never dropped in percentiles... clearly fine :lostit:) so I did before/after weights at every feeding to determine how much he was taking per feeding and his total intake for 24 hrs. He took 26.75 oz for the 24 hour period (MORE than plenty - totally explains his tremendous weight gains) and never took more than 2.5 oz at a feeding. Sometimes he'd even take as little as 1/2 oz which made me nervous till I saw the "big picture" and realized that all those "snacks" were adding up to a great amount... Anyway, point is, BF babies don't typically drink large quantities. The lactation consultants all confirmed this to me when I told them what he was taking. They weren't surprised in the least bit! :lostit: The big bottles are modeled after formula fed babies and even then, it isn't really the way nature intended. Babies have small tummies and they are meant to have small frequent meals (LO eats every 1-2 hours at 8 months) and if you look at tribal communities where all the women breastfeed, they feed their babies as often as every 15-20 minutes! That would blow the mind of a westerner, but there, it is totally normal. We just make our babies adapt to a schedule that suits our needs more, here and babies tend to adapt pretty well so they go along with it (for the most part).

Another interesting point that someone made to me the other day is this: Isn't it funny that we work so hard to get our babies down to several LARGE feedings/meals per day, and then as they become toddlers, the same "experts" telling us to feed less often and give larger amounts, totally back-track and tell us that toddlers need 3 meals a day plus 2-4 snacks?! They were designed to eat small frequent meals so why do we work so hard to change that?