Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   strep (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261491)

Merilwen 08-13-2011 04:32 PM

strep

I just found out I have strep throat, had symptoms a day, maybe two, before I went to the er with a 104 fever. I had just started the mini pill, so at first I thought I was just having a bad reaction and didn't stop breastfeeding until about an hour before I went in.

I asked the doctor if I should continue to feed ds, and he asked someone in their pediatrics dept. I was told that I could not feed him, but I could pump for bottles as long as I swabbed my nipples with alcohol before, and that I should avoid contact with ds for four days.

Looking online, everything I have found says to keep nursing, that I am no longer contagious 24 hours after starting meds, just to not cough/sneeze on baby, stay out of his face, and wash hands frequently.

Does any have experience with this? What were you told to do?

Zookeeper 08-13-2011 04:41 PM

How old is your baby? Is he/she only Breastfed? My ped told me that exclusively breastfed babies don't get strep because there is am enzyme in breastmilk that somehow fights the strep. I don't know all the exact data, but he is very pro-breastfeeding and super supportive of natural remedies. I would keep breastfeeding if it were me, as long as the antibiotics you are on are ok. Good luck and feel better soon!

~Rachel

Merilwen 08-13-2011 04:51 PM

Re: strep

He is 6 weeks, and was only breastfed. I did not have a stash ready so we had to supplement formula for a few of his feedings yesterday and today.

I am on amoxicillin, which the doc said would only cause a bit of diarrhea in ds

I probably will just go back to breastfeeding, wear a mask if I get paranoid.

aept 08-13-2011 09:33 PM

If it was me, I would continue to nurse my baby and just be careful about handwashing, not coughing on them, etc.
I hope you feel well soon!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

VeganCupcake 08-13-2011 10:00 PM

I had strep when my DD was about 22 months old. I didn't stop nursing or really do anything special, though I was more careful with hand washing because I didn't want anyone else in the house getting sick. I may also have wiped off door knobs and light switches and things--but that has nothing to do with nursing! :) Nobody had even a hint of illness other than me.

You were probably contagious before you had any symptoms. I wouldn't give it too much extra worry.

Zookeeper 08-13-2011 11:17 PM

Plus, you are passing those good antibodies to fight it through your milk to your baby!

~Rachel

fish3737 08-13-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merilwen (Post 13553354)
He is 6 weeks, and was only breastfed. I did not have a stash ready so we had to supplement formula for a few of his feedings yesterday and today.

I am on amoxicillin, which the doc said would only cause a bit of diarrhea in ds

I probably will just go back to breastfeeding, wear a mask if I get paranoid.

It isn't just breastfed babies - babies and small children are very unlikely to contract strep throat (my sister is a pediatrician and she explained it to me once - but I can't remember the reasons now - LOL ) Like kids under 3 it is almost unheard of.

So I wouldn't sweat it.

Now my personal story - When my baby was 8 months old - I got strep throat. It HURT so bad. I was treated and then like weeks later my baby was sick with something that they happened to take blood work for - guess what!!! She had strep too. It wasn't my regular pedi. The next time I saw her I told her the story and she wrinkled her nose up and looked it up on the computer. She was like, "no way - that is crazy".

I guess my point is that it is rare, and for me we never even noticed it with her (when she did actually have it).

Nurse away!

DevonP 08-14-2011 12:40 AM

I was just reading up on illness and continuing to bf recently and everything I came across said to continue. Here is an article from Kellymom: http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
Get better soon!

colin-mylilguy 08-14-2011 09:23 PM

I'd keep right on nursing! Feel better soon! :hugs: