Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pumping is much more efficient when.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261525)

5lilmnkys 08-13-2011 04:42 PM

Pumping is much more efficient when....

You know how to use your pump! I have a fancy double electric hospital grade pump that seemed simple enough. I have been trying to build up a supply for my return to work next week, but it has been soooo frustrating and slow going. I can't get my milk to let down very easily except when I am nursing, so I tried pumping on one side while I nurse on the other. Still I would get maybe an ounce at a time, if that, and it takes forever. So anyway....since I am using only one side of a double pump, it never occured to me to cover the hole where the tubing goes in for the side I wasn't using. I accidentally covered it yesterday and holy suction!!!! Today I pumped out 3 oz in less than 10 minutes! I feel a bit stupid lol....but relieved it wasn't me that was the problem and happy to know how much easier future pumping sessions will be! :giggle:

MNclothdiaperin'Momma 08-13-2011 04:59 PM

Re: Pumping is much more efficient when....

:giggle: I have been there before :giggle: I'm sure many others have been as well. Thanks for the giggle and good luck with your future pumping!

dimples_giggles_1009 08-13-2011 05:20 PM

I'm on my second child and just Figured out to cover the other hole maybe 3 weeks ago.....I Felt like an idiot.....

cherrycoke 08-13-2011 05:30 PM

I'm also pumping with a double electric. I found this video about "hands on pumping" and have started implementing a few of the tips and it's definitely helped my output! I'm not so good at hand-expression but I do compression/massage while I'm pumping and at work yesterday, instead of getting less and less milk with each session (which happened before the video), I got the exact same amount every time! I was very happy to have found that video.

ssummerer 08-13-2011 06:50 PM

I just started pumping again for baby #2 and had forgotten at first to cover the second hole. I thought my pump had broken at first. ;)

Mamakat1234 08-13-2011 07:00 PM

Ummmm...thanks for the tip LOL!! I'll have to try the next time I pump :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

5lilmnkys 08-13-2011 08:16 PM

My pump even has a little tab that you turn and push in to cover it, I had just never noticed it before.

Kätzchen 08-14-2011 11:10 AM

I was nursing and letdown on the other side, my husband did the same thing trying to help me :giggle:

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011

colin-mylilguy 08-14-2011 12:40 PM

:giggle2:

You're not the only one. ;)

colin-mylilguy 08-14-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrycoke (Post 13553829)
I'm also pumping with a double electric. I found this video about "hands on pumping" and have started implementing a few of the tips and it's definitely helped my output! I'm not so good at hand-expression but I do compression/massage while I'm pumping and at work yesterday, instead of getting less and less milk with each session (which happened before the video), I got the exact same amount every time! I was very happy to have found that video.

Thanks for sharing!