Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   allergic to breast milk?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261603)

nkmcginty 08-13-2011 08:04 PM

allergic to breast milk?!

A friend of mine put something on her facebook the other night about using generic drugs instead of name brand, and someone posted a comment saying "breastfeed that baby and you won't need many of those drugs!" in which she replied "totally not true", to which i butted in a replied "actually, very true! mother's milk gives the baby so many natural antibodies and immunities that formula cannot possibly replicate" and she said "well, i tried hard to breastfeed but my milk never came in and he was allergic anyway." after i asked her how long she tried to get her milk to come in she said "3 days" :banghead: and then i said, "well, he was probably allergic to what you were eating, i'm pretty sure he couldn't be allergic to your milk" and she told me i had no idea what i was talking about! has anyone else ever heard of being allergic to breastmilk?!

BeckyP 08-13-2011 08:11 PM

Re: allergic to breast milk?!

When my Ds was in the NICU I was not aloud to breastfeed him because he was allergic to so many things they were not sure what he could be allergic to in my milk. Turned out he was allergic to the milk proteins. He had a very hard time finding something that his little tummy could tolerate.

Mara'sMommy 08-13-2011 08:11 PM

ive heard people try to claim it, but im fairly positive its not true. its usually, like you said, the babe is intolerant/allergic to something the mother was eating.
it seems to me that people try to use that as an excuse to relieve their guilt of not trying harder to breastfeed.

Mara'sMommy 08-13-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyP (Post 13554627)
When my Ds was in the NICU I was not aloud to breastfeed him because he was allergic to so many things they were not sure what he could be allergic to in my milk. Turned out he was allergic to the milk proteins. He had a very hard time finding something that his little tummy could tolerate.

he was allergic to your milk proteins? or cows milk proteins? im asking because that will be the first time ive ever heard of that, and if it was your milk he was allergic to did that have something to do with him being a preemie? were you ever able to successfully breastfeed?

BeckyP 08-13-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy (Post 13554628)
ive heard people try to claim it, but im fairly positive its not true. its usually, like you said, the babe is intolerant/allergic to something the mother was eating.
it seems to me that people try to use that as an excuse to relieve their guilt of not trying harder to breastfeed.

:muted: I may have to stay out of this thread because of comments like this. :yuck:

nkmcginty 08-13-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyP (Post 13554646)
:muted: I may have to stay out of this thread because of comments like this. :yuck:

well she did ask you what exactly he was allergic to. i don't think she was trying to be offensive. this could be a learning expeience for all of us. no reason to fight, just more of a reason to add explanations/experiences so we can all gain new knowledge! :)

BeckyP 08-13-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy (Post 13554637)
he was allergic to your milk proteins? or cows milk proteins? im asking because that will be the first time ive ever heard of that, and if it was your milk he was allergic to did that have something to do with him being a preemie? were you ever able to successfully breastfeed?

He was not a preemie but had a very traumatic birth. He became stuck and his heart rate crashed so once he was out he was taken straight to the NICU. Once we started feeding him he because bloated and would throw up after every feeding. I tried cutting out all dairy and Soy and every thing else that he might have a reaction to but every time I would try and feed him he became sicker. So we did a hypoallergenic formula. I am sad I was not able to nurse him and comments like "didn't try hard enough" really rub people like me the wrong way. Some of us try Very Hard and sometimes it doesn't work! I tried to nurse my DD for 2 MONTHS and my milk never came in. It does happen.

nkmcginty 08-13-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyP (Post 13554696)
He was not a preemie but had a very traumatic birth. He became stuck and his heart rate crashed so once he was out he was taken straight to the NICU. Once we started feeding him he because bloated and would throw up after every feeding. I tried cutting out all dairy and Soy and every thing else that he might have a reaction to but every time I would try and feed him he became sicker. So we did a hypoallergenic formula. I am sad I was not able to nurse him and comments like "didn't try hard enough" really rub people like me the wrong way. Some of us try Very Hard and sometimes it doesn't work! I tried to nurse my DD for 2 MONTHS and my milk never came in. It does happen.

oh, mama, i don't believe the "try hard enough" comment was directed at you! this girl i am talking about CLEARLY didn't try hard enough! her milk didn't even come in! (i think if you only try for 3 days for your milk to come in, it constitutes "not trying hard enough") you gave it your best shot!!

BeckyP 08-13-2011 08:28 PM

Thanks

musicalisa 08-13-2011 08:55 PM

I'm a little confused as to how this person knew her child was "allergic to her milk" if it "never came in." That's kind of a head-scratcher!