Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long does your LO feed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262236)

ommsound 08-15-2011 09:24 AM

How long does your LO feed?

When you breastfeed, how long does it take your baby to nurse? Anyone have a fast/efficient feeder?

My 3 1/2 month old used to feed in 5 minutes and sometimes shortened it to 3 minutes! I'm wondering if this is normal or if there is some way to get her to eat more so she goes longer between feedings.

Right now, she's going through some nipple confusion since she's been at daycare and mostly feeding with the bottle during the day (even on weekends). At night she breastfeeds, but she's still waking up every 3 hours and I wish she would feed longer and sleep longer! She also cries before feeding sometimes (breast and bottle) and I can't figure out why :headscratch:

UnschoolingFamily 08-15-2011 09:50 AM

My 9 month old nurses every hour or two, all day long and all night log, though she usually goes for a 3-4 hour stretch when we put her down for the night (usually DH puts her in the baby swing then). I sah.

I have heard time and again that babies nurse more frequently at night shortly after mommy starts working , because they miss her and want more time and snuggles with her. It's good for the jaw and muscle development to nurse more anyway.

You didn't say how old your baby is. Don't forget that children go through growth spurts all the time. My 12 year old still gets them. They sometimes need more calories for a while to save up so they can get to the important job of building bone and tissue, and sometimes they need less.

My advice would be to encourage your baby to nurse as often as she wants. Eventually, she will drop the night time nursing on her own, but I doubt (for your own supply) you want that to happen too quickly. :)

carolineb 08-15-2011 09:59 AM

My LO is 4.5 months and right now he nurses about 20 min or more. I think he's pretty efficient but I just let him go for as long as he wants. When he starts playing, pinching, or pulls away I know he's done. He will often come on and off and I leave myself exposed for a few minutes until he no longer tries to latch on. If I am needing him to be quicker like if we are out and about he can be. He still nurses quite a bit at night but I pretty much sleep through it so I really don't know how long or how many times he nurses.

I'm a sahm so I don't have the bottle issue to deal with. In fact it's the opposite for us...he won't take a bottle!

Kätzchen 08-15-2011 10:17 AM

3 weeks, 10 minutes or so every hour or two. Definitely efficient!

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011

Greenebean214 08-15-2011 11:17 AM

DD (3 months) normally nurses every 2 hrs during the day and 3-5 hrs at night. I'd say she takes about 5-10mins to nurse on one side. She only nurses on both sides during a growth spurt.

KristieW 08-15-2011 01:35 PM

Re: How long does your LO feed?

8 week old DD2 is super efficient--she'll be done in just over five minutes, usually, and won't eat again for 2ish hours usually, sometimes more. I was worried for a bit because DD1 was quick but never THAT quick, but after she gained weight just fine at the beginning and has continued to gain, I realized it probably has more to do with my firehose letdown and output speed. :p

jlcohen 08-15-2011 01:44 PM

DS2 is 2 weeks old and nurses every 2 hours. If it's the left side, he averages about 10 minutes. The right side is about 5 minutes. He only nurses on one side at a time.

ommsound 08-15-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristieW (Post 13563934)
8 week old DD2 is super efficient--she'll be done in just over five minutes, usually, and won't eat again for 2ish hours usually, sometimes more. I was worried for a bit because DD1 was quick but never THAT quick, but after she gained weight just fine at the beginning and has continued to gain, I realized it probably has more to do with my firehose letdown and output speed. :p

Yeah, I have a pretty fast letdown too. I think that's why she eats so quickly when she's breastfeeding.

It's so frustrating when she doesn't want to breastfeed just because she doesn't want to wait a few seconds for the letdown!

aries416 08-15-2011 03:41 PM

Honestly, I've never timed it.....

It's fast though, maybe 3 minutes unless he's trying to go to sleep, then he takes longer comfort nursing.

colin-mylilguy 08-15-2011 07:18 PM

8 months old - nurses every 1-2 hours, about 10-15 minutes for night feedings (I think... or at least that's when I fall asleep....) :giggle2: During the day I nurse to sleep, and those feedings are anywhere from 15-20 minutes, if I leave him latched for the whole nap, he'll suckle for an hour. When he's not nursing to sleep, just a snack, he's on and off in less than 3 minutes. At bed time, he nurses for 1-2 hours. He nurses twice at night but doesn't fully wake up. Just roots around till I offer the breast, then he slurps down a meal and drifts back to dream land. :giggle2: