Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Some fun things (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262257)

chayla 08-15-2011 10:02 AM

Some fun things

I saw from other boards while lurking waiting for my BFP.

They say if you pee on baking soda, you can determine the sex of the baby. I think it was lots of fizz=girl, no fizz=boy :giggle: I think it's fun, who wants in? I will have to verify the fizz/no fizz stuff.

Also, accountability threads! Maybe we can hold off until after 1st trimester since we are all tired and sick usually. Anyways, we could determine something that needs to be done for the week and post how it's coming along. I did this with another board. We did chore wars online though. Thoughts????

What other fun things should we/can we do??

ReadingRenee 08-15-2011 10:22 AM

Re: Some fun things

I was planning on checking out the baking soda test but i have read its not accurate til a certain number of weeks? I don't know. Also I *think* its the other way around with the fizz but I am not sure.

Accountability threads after the first trimester sounds like a great idea! :)

Not sure about other fun things besides belly pic threads. :giggle:

chayla 08-15-2011 10:34 AM

Definately Belly Pics! I will double check the baking soda test :)

Also, I think we did this with my other group. Each week a new person gets to come up with the 'weekly questions' instead of one person. Maybe fun and give a different perspective each week.

chayla 08-15-2011 10:42 AM

It's the baking soda test. So you put a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup then put a little bit of pee in the cup, and if it sizzles, it's a boy, and if it does nothing, it's a girl! Supposedly your urine is more acidic if you're carrying a boy, (hence the sizzling action) and more alkaline if you're carrying a girl.

ReadingRenee 08-15-2011 10:44 AM

cool!

I will go pee on some baking soda and brb! :giggle:

Weekly questions is a good idea too. :)

chayla 08-15-2011 11:14 AM

Cabbage Test:

The Test
1.Buy a red cabbage (don't substitute green cabbage -- it won't work). Size isn't important unless you love cooked cabbage. In that case get a huge one!
2.Cut the cabbage into small chunks.
3.Boil some water. Then add it to cover the cabbage chunks. Let sit for at least ten minutes.
4.Drain the cabbage and KEEP THE WATER! The water should be blueish in color.
5.Set aside the cabbage for lunch. I suggest stir fry or stew.
6.Pee in a cup! Grab a cup and head to the bathroom. If you're a little squeamish, you may want to use disposable cups.
7.Set up the test. In a separate cup mix 1 part urine with 1 part cabbage water.
8.Read the test!
•If the urine/water turns pink/red its a boy!
•If it turns purple its a girl!
Try it ladies and post your results! Is it accurate? Let us know. Remember, No gender determination test you can do at home is 100% accurate, so don't paint the nursery based on these findings.

Science Behind It
Red cabbage contains a chemical that changes colors at different pH's. Very acidic solutions will turn a red color. Neutral solutions result in a purplish color. Basic solutions appear greenish-yellow. Is urine pH different if you're carrying a boy or a girl? Perhaps, or maybe that same pH indicator changes colors for a different reason and it can determine between boy and girl.

chayla 08-15-2011 11:14 AM

Can't see anything that says you have to wait until you are a certain number of weeks :)

ReadingRenee 08-15-2011 11:28 AM

I tried the baking soda and it was pretty anticlimactic! :giggle: nothing happened at all so I guess that is a girl result. it is weird though because I have been trying to keep everything very alkaline to heal from the irritation of my UTI. I wonder if it matters if the baking soda is old?

Will have to get a cabbage this weekend when I go grocery shopping. If I can stomach the smell of cooking cabbage... :giggle2:

MNclothdiaperin'Momma 08-15-2011 11:42 AM

Ohhh....this sounds like fun. I will have to try later though. I have been feeling so crummy today. (which in my book is a good thing)

mom2luke&jake 08-15-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadingRenee (Post 13563087)
I tried the baking soda and it was pretty anticlimactic! :giggle: nothing happened at all so I guess that is a girl result. :

Me too.

Has anyone tried the ring test? My dh and i have but it keeps going back and forth from circleing to back and forth. So Idk what that means?