Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My baby is crying everytime I try to burp him after being fed & ? about sleeping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262302)

donnyandmelissa 08-15-2011 11:18 AM

My baby is crying everytime I try to burp him after being fed & ? about sleeping

My son Avery is 9 days old now he all of a sudden today starts crying the saddest cry when I burp him after about 10-30 seconds & he NEVER cries unless the wipes are cold he will whimper. So I will stop burping & he stops crying and drifts off to sleep. It is almost like he just wants to be left alone.

But then when I wake him for the next feeding or to change his diaper he will spit up a little bit & swallow it :headscratch:

So what do I do? I mean I don't think it is a pain cry.

Also, he is sleeping quite a bit probably only is awake for 60-90 minutes a day. I thought it was because of the pain med I was on due to my emeregency csection (he had a true knot in his cord & I couldn't get past 3 cm in 24 hours) but I stopped those meds 3 days ago & he is still sleeping like this.

Is that normal?

This actually is my 3rd ebf baby I just never experienced this with my other two.

Thank you for any input. :thumbsup:

keen1981 08-15-2011 11:21 AM

Re: My baby is crying everytime I try to burp him after being fed & ? about sleeping

hows his weight gain? The cry doesn't concern me. Babies do cry.. I rarely burp my EBF babies, especially if they are asleep after eating.. As long as they are nursing properly, they don't take in that much air.. Perhaps his actually finds it uncomfortable?

donnyandmelissa 08-15-2011 11:24 AM

Re: My baby is crying everytime I try to burp him after being fed & ? about sleeping

Hmm, I haven't checked his weight gain because he has probably 5-7 poopy diapers a day & his diapers are always full of pee.

I stopped burping my other 2 when they were 4-5 weeks I think. I guess I am just afraid it will turn him into a gassy baby. But he has a great latch.

Googly Bear 08-15-2011 11:31 AM

Could be reflux, most babies have reflux to a degree. If he's gaining well, and sleeping well, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I always burp my LO who is just shy of 10 weeks, he is ebf but always has a good burp to follow a feeding. If I don't burp him, he is restless in his sleep.

And his sleepiness is totally normal mama :) Hopefully you can rest some while he is!

223Huntress 08-15-2011 11:42 AM

I agree with the above post... the sleepiness is normal at that age, and its always a good idea to burp even if he is ebf. My dd has reflux and would fuss when i started burping her, but only bc she was struggling with the reflux and gas. If he doesnt like being patted on the back to burp, try rocking him or walking around with him upright, resting against your shoulder and just bounce his little butt a tiny bit. There are many ways to work the burps out without patting the back!

Squig'sMumMum 08-15-2011 11:53 AM

If he isn't gassy, I wouldn't worry about burping him, especially as he doesn't seem to like it :) You could always try a different burping position for him too if you really want to.

As for the sleepiness- Meds can last a looong time in babies. If you had an epi for your c-section, those medications can last several weeks in his system, so he will be sleepy. As long as he is nursing and having a good amount of wet diapers, I wouldn't worry about it for the time being :)

ETA: And yes, it could be related to the pain med too, give it a few more days and see if he is awake more :)

colin-mylilguy 08-15-2011 07:42 PM

New Borns are very sleepy and don't stay awake for long, but like you mentioned, the narcotics do play a role. They take about 2 weeks to leave the baby's system so he may be a little drowsier from that. You should see a difference in a few more days.