Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How come knowone talks about an oversupply? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262322)

CntryMama 08-15-2011 12:01 PM

How come knowone talks about an oversupply?

I am drowning in milk. Seriously. There seem to be know threads about this so I google it to find out more information. I just want to see if there are other moms out there who also have WAY too much milk and get annoyed. I'm tired it shooting into my 3 month old dds mouth, her gulping it down, getting supper gassy from all the air and not equal fore/hind milk...

I guess I would much rather have an oversupply then not enough! I never pumped to increase my supply, for the past month I have only pumped first thing in the morning because my boobs are so huge dd will not touch them and right before bed since dd goes to sleep 3-4 hours before me. Does it really get better after 3-4 months like kellymom.com says? I hope so...

MyGirls 08-15-2011 12:03 PM

Re: How come knowone talks about an oversupply?

Have you tried block feeding? I'm naking, but google block feeding. or kellymom has good info on it.

I had a huge oversupply with all my kids. It does get better but it took awhile (more like 6 months) block feeding is basically setting an amount of time (4hr, 6hr, etc) and you only feed baby from that side for that amount of time.

benoliviaallen 08-15-2011 12:04 PM

It does even out after a bit. Try not to pump because that will just make the problem worse. Block feeding can help with oversupply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Just feed on the same side for a few hours or a few feedings at a time. It helped me tons. I usually do two or three feedings (depending on how long they are) before I switch sides.

808mamaof3 08-15-2011 12:36 PM

I drowned my babies in milk too. I usually nursed on one side for the duration of a feeding and only switched sides at the next feeding to adequately drain one side and avoid baby choking more than needed. My kids both were frustrated, gassy and fussy the first week or so. What really helped was nursing side lying or slightly reclined back in a chair to combat gravity so milk would shoot downward as much. With side lying, the extra milk would dribble out of their mouths a bit so I would carry a bunch of burp cloths for under us and under the babies chins. I would also unlatch them when I would get me first let down for a few seconds before relatching. My lactaction consultant recommended those to me and it worked really well. We only needed to make those nursing accomodations for the first 3 months, then my boobs and babies regulated a bit.

You can PM me if you have any other questions. :hugs:

Greenebean214 08-15-2011 12:48 PM

I've been fighting an oversupply for my 3 month old too. It's finally evening out, thanks to block feeding. I start and finish on one side, and start on that same side next feeding. Then I switch to the other side once the first feels empty enough and finish! Luckily she isn't too fussy, I just have to burp her a lot to get all the gas out.

I hope it evens out for you soon!

VeganCupcake 08-15-2011 02:43 PM

As a tandem mama, I have an oversupply and my little guy doesn't really like it a lot of the time. My toddler is thrilled, though.

We also have the best luck nursing side-lying.

Lisathena 08-15-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 13564439)
As a tandem mama, I have an oversupply and my little guy doesn't really like it a lot of the time. My toddler is thrilled, though.

We also have the best luck nursing side-lying.

This is me too :goodvibes:

I have the left one for my son and the right is my daughters...i never switch no matter what....its finally slowing down...but when i letdown its fast and furious LOL

thtr4me 08-15-2011 06:10 PM

We are at 7 months post partum, and things have definitely calmed down a bit. DS still has trouble being able to comfort nurse in the evenings (he usually gets an onslaught of milk when all he wants to do is comfort suck), but it is getting better. Block feeding did help a lot, and mostly eliminated the green poop from the foremilk/hindmilk inbalance, although it does occasionally still sneak in there. And DS has also adjusted to my super fast letdown, and most of the time is keeping up now. He is no longer coughing and sputtering at every feeding, which is fantastic.

And I have dealt with both extreme low supply with my first baby (which later became oversupply with lots of hard work to reestablish my supply), and now oversupply and OALD with this baby, and I can say that I would so much rather deal with the oversupply and OALD than the heartbreaking struggles I dealt with when I nearly lost my milk supply the first time around. Oversupply can be very frustrating, but emotionally so much easier to deal with, at least in my opinion.

colin-mylilguy 08-15-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyGirls (Post 13563334)
Have you tried block feeding? I'm naking, but google block feeding. or kellymom has good info on it.

I had a huge oversupply with all my kids. It does get better but it took awhile (more like 6 months) block feeding is basically setting an amount of time (4hr, 6hr, etc) and you only feed baby from that side for that amount of time.

Like she said... I would say it was more like 6 months. And definitely do block feeding. That totally helped. I could still hose LO down, easily, though.... My DH would watch us struggle, milk going everywhere, LO sputtering and choking and he'd say "Wow... that's like trying to latch a baby onto a fire hydrant!" Its a blessing and a curse. I think most moms who have this don't talk about it much because they don't want to make the mom's struggling with supply feel bad. I know, I have friends that struggle to make enough so I keep my mouth shut because they have said things like "boy... what would it be like to have THAT problem...?!" It makes me feel bad for complaining, though it really can be difficult having so much, too. :hide:

LO is 8 months now and I still only feed him on one side. He won't even touch the other side, usually. Once in a rare moon, he will, so I offer, but he never wants it, typically.

I also donate, b/c of all the extra. Maybe look into that option. It might make you feel better about the "problem" since you can make it into a blessing for others. :goodvibes: I pump what I can get easily in less than 5 minutes: 4-5 oz.

litlckrets 08-15-2011 07:05 PM

What the others said... and it likely will get better. May take awhile for your body to adjust, though.