Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lip Tie (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262380)

Kriket 08-15-2011 02:14 PM

Lip Tie

So, does anyone have experience with this? A friend posted her daughters on my Facebook, and I was like. "Well sheet, that looks familiar"

I'm pretty sure big brother had it too. The LC were always asking if I was comfortable feeding because his top lip didn't flair and "looked tight"

I think they decided to leave well enough alone if it didn't hurt me, and he was gaining so, no real issues.

However, with DS2 I feel like his latch is really shallow. I have huge areolas (like a solid 3" across) so there is no way he's going to take it all in. But he's noisey, like slurping and gulping and getting milk everywhere. He slids off really easy. It doesn't hurt me. I may have nipples of steel. He's gaining well too. But he has been kinda gassy and fussy.

I can't decide what's normal, and what isn't :/

durh. I wanted to post a pic

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/DSCF2364.jpg

Mara'sMommy 08-15-2011 04:51 PM

Yup he definitely looks lip tied to me. I discovered dd's lip tie (posted a thread u can search for it if you'd like) when she was 4 months old. I was fuming when I first learned about lip ties and realized she had one- I had been to numerous lactation consultants and pediatricians and my midwife complaining about sore nipples, and her total fussiness while nursing. We got treated for thrush etc- well turns out she was just lip tied.

I did some research and read that it's common for upper lip ties and posterior tongue ties to go hand in hand. I knew that an ear nose and throat dr would want to put her under anesthesia so I took her just to get checked for the tongue tie. She is gaining well now (she lost alot after birth most likely due to it), but it's still pretty painful for me- but whatever. I'm not putting her under anesthesia just because of that. It can cause issues with speech and gaps in front teeth- I heard if you can get in to a pediatric dentist they will clip it without the anesthesia. Everyone also keeps telling me that at some point when she becomes mobile she will fall and bust it open on her own, which I imagine is not fun.
Good luck. Hopefully you don't have crappy insurance like me. I "can't" be referred to a pediatric dentist because dd has no teeth. Ugh, lame

Kriket 08-15-2011 05:20 PM

Re: Lip Tie

i'm really torn on if i want to say anything. we "have" a pedi dentist because DS1's teeth look like this. (and his tie, for comparison)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/DSCF2365.jpg

but we nurse ok, i learned the tricks with DS1. and I know as her gets bigger/older he will learn to swallow less air and be less noisy. I am a little worried about the gas. it really does hurt him, and i don't want my baby to hurt!

colin-mylilguy 08-15-2011 06:58 PM

Huh... I was looking at that picture (thanks, by the way, for posting that - so helpful) and I was thinking to myself that no one has ever said anything about that to me and my LO's is totally like that (if not worse...). And I am sore. I always have been a little. And his upper lip doesn't really flip up when he nurses. And he's always been a little on the shallow side for latching... huh.

I knew he was tongue tied and we got that clipped at 2 days old, but this helps me understand why things still weren't all that easy. He gains weight really well, and I never got so sore that I had any major problems, but I'm still sore all. the. time. And he's 8 months old!

So, I should go to a Pediatric Dentist? I am definitely looking into this. I've always looked at his gums and thought "man, this kid is gonna need braces in a bad way" but I didn't think it was the reason for MY soreness.... Thank you so much! :hugs:

Its not a great picture, but he was not too thrilled about me putting my fingers in his mouth because he's teething so.... hope this shows up well enough.....http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B4T7mAvtQV...0/DSCN0761.JPG

Also, he has always been a loud eater. Slurping and gagging. I thought it was my OALD and oversupply but now I think this might have been a factor, too....

Mara'sMommy 08-15-2011 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I were you I would take your youngest one to the dentist (how old is he?) and see what he recommends. There are different degrees of lip tie as well. Also I would get him checked for the posterior tongue tie.
Dd's upper lip is always curled in and she has a very shallow latch. It took a while but we figured out how to nurse around it. If it becomes a problem in the future I fully intend on getting it clipped, but for now I feel she is too young (5 1/2months) to be put out under anesthesia. But i didn't take her to the pedi dentist. Here's what hers looks like:

Kriket 08-15-2011 07:42 PM

amber- your LO looks way more severe. I'm pretty surprised they corrected the TT and didn't see the the lip. I don't see how that could NOT affect his teeth. I'm not sure what they do. Maybe braces for adult teeth?

DS2 is 5 weeks tomorrow.

what is posterior TT? I thought that was the fancy name for the lip tie. I researched a little with DS1 but we had so many other things to deal with when he was little and learning to BF that I didn't want to add to the mess.

colin-mylilguy 08-15-2011 07:47 PM

I know... I'm wondering who was sleeping on the job. lol

Now I have to figure out what to do, and I definitely don't want to do anesthesia at his age... I'm so worried about his teeth, though. My DH joked that he might need braces for his baby teeth... poor baby.

I don't know what to do. I must have a high tolerance for pain, though, because even as I type, he's nursing and it just feels raw. Ouch. But, I just keep nursing.

Kriket 08-15-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy (Post 13565918)
I don't know what to do. I must have a high tolerance for pain, though, because even as I type, he's nursing and it just feels raw. Ouch. But, I just keep nursing.

I am in the same spot. You should (and I should :blush:) actually talk to someone who could do something about it and see if they would actually need to be put under. I know it sounds brutal, but it's a pretty quick procedure, you would think they could just hold them down?

DS1 is two, and we have to put him under to put caps on his teeth. It terrifies me. But you can see how bad they are from the picture. I guess his enamel never formed and they grew in like that and have started to chip and erode.

I just nursed through it with DS1. You find the ways that work, and just do what needs done. Once they get older it seems to get a little better. Thought DS1 wasn't as bad as DS2 who isn't as bad as yours. I'm kinda suprized you haven't got cracks and he doesn't have nursing blisters. DS2 has a big old blister that just won't go away on his top lip. I noticed it in the hospital but figured once he got used to nursing it would go away, but it's still here. :banghead:

Mara'sMommy 08-15-2011 10:01 PM

http://www.lunalactation.com/KnoxTT.pdf

Here's some info on the posterior tongue tie.

If your dd is only 5 weeks you might be able to get it clipped now without anesthesia. From what I read they just swaddled the baby, put some numbing gel and clip it. They nurse right afterwards and apparently you can tell the difference immediately.

Mara'sMommy 08-15-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
I know... I'm wondering who was sleeping on the job. lol

Now I have to figure out what to do, and I definitely don't want to do anesthesia at his age... I'm so worried about his teeth, though. My DH joked that he might need braces for his baby teeth... poor baby.

Yeah I know what you mean. I was talking to a girl who had to get hers clipped in her twenties and have braces. It apparently messed her teeth up. Your ds's looks pretty prominent too. It's quite thick