Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mastitis - Can DS's ped prescribe the meds to me? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262626)

My Sweet Blessings 08-15-2011 09:18 PM

Mastitis - Can DS's ped prescribe the meds to me?

I have mastitis, again. This time it's in the other boob. I don't have insurance (only the kids), so it cost me $125 last time for an exam and the prescription. I'd really like to avoid this expense if I can help it since money is really tight. DS happens to have his well baby appt and recheck possible ear infection appt in the morning by coincidence. I got to wondering if his ped could give me a script for the medicine for the mastitis while we are there? :headscratch: Anyone ever do this? Can they even do that?

*calling the doc I saw last time and asking for a script to be called in isn't an option. I went to an "after hours" clinic and not a regular doc's office. Calling my OBGYN isn't an option. They want $300 "security deposit" paid up front before seeing the doctor and couldn't tell me how much the visit would approximately cost. They require you to have an exam before prescribing meds.

Mara'sMommy 08-15-2011 10:13 PM

Dd's pedi wrote me a script for mastitis. She actually told me to go see my midwife and confirm it was that or thrush, then call her back and she would send the prescription in. I though that was really nice of her.

aept 08-15-2011 10:24 PM

Definitely ask! My ds's pedi prescribed diflucan for me for thrush. This is off my verbal description of my symptoms only, no exam. We were present in his office for a well check. My ds did have a few white patches in his mouth and got a RX too.
I know mastitis is different from thrush, so maybe they can't, but since it could jeopardize your LO's health if you can't nurse maybe the pedi will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

My Sweet Blessings 08-15-2011 10:32 PM

Re: Mastitis - Can DS's ped prescribe the meds to me?

thanks ladies. i guess it can't hurt to ask. Worse thing that can happen is she says no, right?!

aept 08-16-2011 08:35 AM

I hope you feel better soon! Let us know how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

tuhraycee 08-16-2011 09:14 AM

Hope they helped you out! So frustrating when you know what it is and what you need for treatment!

misskira 08-16-2011 11:09 AM

Our medical care system is such a mess in the US. :( I hope you get what you need without having to spend a fortune. Especially with mastitis, I know how miserable it is. I've had it once and it was seriously the worst day of my life. By far worse than either of my csections. :hugs:

My Sweet Blessings 08-16-2011 06:10 PM

ooh yeah, mastitis pain is way worse than c-section pain. I've had 3 c-sections and mastitis is insanely painful.

At first the doc told me to call my OB and I told her that they did and wanted $300 up front. She asked if I had insurance and I told her no. She then started asking me more questions about my symptoms and how it was treated last time. She said that she doesn't normally treat mastitis, so she was unsure what to give me and asked if I knew what I was given last time. I didn't remember at the time, so she said to call her with the info. I did and she called in a script for me! :yay: That saved me quite a chunk of change and hassle. So relived that she was willing to do that for me.

aept 08-16-2011 08:16 PM

What a relief! I am glad it worked out for you, and that you should be on the road to recovery!

Brooke789 08-16-2011 08:24 PM

Just finishing up a script to treast mastitis myself...and I agree worst pain ever. In addition to that this is the sickest I have ever been in my life. My temp got up to 104...I have never had anything like this before. I don't know what caused it, but I sure hope I don't get it again!