Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   in bed feeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262698)

formunkyfrommommy 08-15-2011 10:54 PM

in bed feeding

so dd 3 weeks old is cosleeping right now because she wont sleep in a bassinet or anywhere really that isnt an inch away from my boob...seriously she sleeps on my boob in the curve of the nursing pillow on my tummy while i sleep in a semi sitting position....as you can imagine this isnt so good for my back but it works for the hourly bfing sessions

however i would rather be able to bf her while i am side lying and she can nurse to sleep and i can fall asleep that way too....my only issue is that when i am side lying and she is nursing i feel like i am suffocating her in my dd/f sized tatas....i kinda have to hold the side/top of my boob taut so that it isnt consuming her nose

is it just impossible to side feed when they are this big? because what happens is i fall asleep when she is nursing and i let go of the boob and then wake up when she is making grunting noises trying to breathe.....which is why i stopped doing this and sleep with her on top of me in the bfing pillow

Willum'smom 08-16-2011 01:43 AM

Re: in bed feeding

I am an E and I could never side lie to nurse until DS was 4 months old. By then the night feedings were gone. I felt like I had to hold my boob really awkwardly until he was bigger. Also, he has a high palate which leads to iffy suction.

pharmgirl13 08-16-2011 05:38 AM

I was about that same size when I started trying to nurse in bed. I ended up having to hold my boob to make sure it didn't obstruct dd's nose and I was so exhausted I was able to fall asleep that way. Eventually, we figured out a positioning where I didn't need to do that.

sillymama 08-16-2011 05:52 AM

I've found that angling the babies body so that her legs are closer and her head is slightly tilted at the breast works better than being parallel. I have very large breasts (I/J) and laying down has always been my favorite way to nurse in the beginning. Just remember that they get bigger and stronger each week so it may work better in a week or two.

Len27 08-16-2011 06:05 AM

I do the same thing as Elizabeth- just tuck his legs in closer to me. Though I think my little guy (not so little now!) was a bit older before we could comfortably nurse laying down. I bet in another month you won't have any issues.

myclanof6 08-16-2011 06:53 AM

I have size H so I hear ya! I also do what pp said, tuck her legs in close to my belly while her head is a little farther out, but it didn't work well like that til she was maybe 2 or 3 months old, when she was a little bigger. They get bigger and better able to turn their head the older they get. You could also try a paci too if it's just comfort sucking and she won't let go for an hour or so. (I know there are tons of moms who are gasping right now at the thought) It worked for us, it took several different types before we found the right one, we use MAM.

colin-mylilguy 08-16-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymama (Post 13567987)
I've found that angling the babies body so that her legs are closer and her head is slightly tilted at the breast works better than being parallel. I have very large breasts (I/J) and laying down has always been my favorite way to nurse in the beginning. Just remember that they get bigger and stronger each week so it may work better in a week or two.

:yeahthat:

The angle really helps. I'm small chested, but even for me, straight on doesn't work. My friend who has big boobies said she has to do the same thing. The key with side-lying, IMO, is practice, practice, practice, change, try again and again. If it doesn't work one time, try again in a few days or the next day or the next feeding if LO is older. Ask a mama who is able to do it easily, how she does it and see if she'll show you. It is SO worth it. GL!

colin-mylilguy 08-16-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myclanof6 (Post 13568197)
I have size H so I hear ya! I also do what pp said, tuck her legs in close to my belly while her head is a little farther out, but it didn't work well like that til she was maybe 2 or 3 months old, when she was a little bigger. They get bigger and better able to turn their head the older they get. You could also try a paci too if it's just comfort sucking and she won't let go for an hour or so. (I know there are tons of moms who are gasping right now at the thought) It worked for us, it took several different types before we found the right one, we use MAM.

*gasp!* J/K lol

We didn't use a paci, mostly b/c LO would have nothing to do with it, but LO also didn't nurse every hour, every night. That probably would have lead me to find something to help ease that burden. He did nurse every 2 hrs, though, but side-lying really helped us both.

I just wanted to second the MAM pacifiers and bottles. My good friend had to take baby off the boob for 5 weeks and bottle feed pumped milk. After 5 weeks, she went right back to the booby and my friend swears it was because of the bottle: MAM. She used the slow flow and it worked great.

misskira 08-16-2011 10:13 AM

I put lo on a body pillow so he's nursing off the top boob first off, and then also I have his head slighly lower down my body than my boob so his head is slightly tipped up (and his nose a little bit away) from my boob. It works well because I use a body pillow anyways, so I can still tuck it between my legs at the bottom and snuggle him with my arm while he eats (and I sleep). We've been doing it this way since he was about 2 weeks old, and he's almost 4 months now. This also helps me remember where he is in my sleep, if that makes sense, so I don't throw a blanket over him or squish him.

misskira 08-16-2011 10:15 AM

Oh, also, I have him on his side (we are tummy to tummy)while he's nursing so he doesn't have his head turned. I have an overactive letdown so it's important that he has more control. And. I used a paci too. Cooper was big into comfort sucking and my nipples couldn't take it anymore. He was happy, I was happy, so I didn't see anything wrong with it myself.