Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help me figure this out! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263027)

vwcabbymom 08-16-2011 02:30 PM

Please help me figure this out!

so ds#2 is 7 weeks old and nursing is going well....except he is extremely gassy/fussy, and sometimes chokes, gags and cries while on the boob. He also spits up a TON! I have a lactation consultant that tells me I have oversupply/overactive letdown/ and a hindmilk foremilk imbalance. Our ped says she thinks ds has a milk allergy. I have been off dairy for 2.5 weeks and have been nursing him on one boob per feeding for the same amount of time, but both of those remedies only seem to make a slight difference in his symptoms. Anyone have any advice??? Thanks mamas!

palsmama 08-16-2011 02:47 PM

Re: Please help me figure this out!

Try two feeds per breast. Also try reclining back while nursing to let gravity help you with the fast flow. Makes baby work harder to get it out and flows slower. I'd say probably not a Milk protein sensitivity but more what you LC said. Stick with block feeding for at least a month. You will see changes in about a week or so.

Crunchymomtoalex 08-16-2011 03:12 PM

If you have eliminated dairy and done what the LC said, maybe it's time for a trip back to the dr's. I had this problem with Alex and it turns out he has pylorospasms and needs Zantac 3 times a day. It's a remarkable difference with the zantac. I know that I have a very overactive letdown but turns out it wasn't as much me as it was the baby actually having issues.

vwcabbymom 08-16-2011 06:02 PM

Io will talk to his dr. about the reflux and try the different feeding methods thanks mamas! I just wish he wasn't so uncomfortable and gassy:(

VeganCupcake 08-16-2011 08:08 PM

I takes 2 to 3 weeks for dairy proteins to get out of yours and baby's systems, so it's possible that more improvement could be right around the corner. Also, are you watching for hidden dairy? And lots of babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy, so you could try cutting that out, too (I know, it's very difficult). IIRC, soy only takes a few days to leave your system, so you might see faster results.

I think it does sound a lot like OALD/oversupply, though.

CntryMama 08-16-2011 08:20 PM

I had the same problem mama! My sister did too and she said that it is just an over supply and imbalance of fore/hind milk. She told me that my dd's reflux will get better with age, usually by 6 months. DD is 3 months on Friday... I just started feeding with one boob for 4-5 hours of the day then switching to the other one, hopefully that will help with the imbalance!

vwcabbymom 08-17-2011 06:00 AM

I am kinda hoping it;s an oversupply issue cause I miss cheese!

Leaner 08-17-2011 07:50 AM

Does he had an upper lip tie? Mine does and it took her about 3 months to get the hang of nursing. She had all of those issues. Though at 5 months its getting so much better. I think she also could have benefited from seeing a Chiro as she was malpositioned at birth.

We just keep at it all, nursing the way it worked for us, and lots of spit up messes. Then over the course of a few weeks it just seemed to get better. Her latch seems fine, but her upper lip curls under sometimes. I've linked to this post before- and I will do it again- The Funny Shaped Woman My sister's baby had the same issue and had trouble nursing.

But it could also be those other things, too. Dairy sensitivity (not really an allergy is it?) or OALD, or oversupply.