Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   .... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263135)

Esmommy 08-16-2011 06:29 PM

greenmommyx2 08-16-2011 07:48 PM

Re: oral thrush...HELP!!

I feel your pain! My son and I got thrush when he was 8 weeks old. The nystatin didn't help us. My Dr prescribed me Jack Newman's APNO and it worked like magic for me. After almost 2months of passing thrush back and forth, I gave up on nystatin and gave my son powder probiotics. The combo of the ointment and probiotics cleared things up within 10 days. I know other mamas that got thrush and their Dr also gave them Jack Newman's APNO so you may get that too..?

rachelkristen 08-17-2011 06:43 PM

you can put apple cider vinegar on your nipples and also paint baby's mouth with a tiny bit of this. personally this worked better for us than nystatin (and is a heck of a lot cheaper, and without side effects). you can also use probiotic powder....a bit of acidophilus powder on baby's tongue, and also on nipples can help. you can also paint baby's mouth and your nipples with black walnut tincture, applied 2-3 times per day. be careful about getting on clothing as it stains. i am referencing the book "naturally healthy babies and children" by Aviva Romm, who is a pediatrician, midwife, and herbalist.

lisha622 08-18-2011 08:53 AM

We used GSE (grapefruit seed extract) after nystatin did nothing for us (well, it did keep the thrush controlled, but it didn't take it away... nystatin has sugar in it, and yeast thrives on sugar, so it's a little odd that doc's suggest it. Anyway, we used the GSE for around 6 weeks before it took it away completely. I put it in a bottle (the kind that you get at the hospital to squirt on your girl parts... I had taken an extra... but you can use any kind of closed container) and put 10 drops of GSE in about 2-3 T of diluted water. Then every time I fed her, I swabbed my nipples and her mouth with the mixture. You can just mix it together everytime, but that takes more time and wastes more GSE. I would just make a new mixture every 6 days.

danielle 08-19-2011 12:31 PM

I used GSE for my son, and it was working, but then I got it. GSE did not help me and the infection became excruciating. My midwife insisted on starting me on Nystatin (my son too) and I was doubtful but desperate. It took 10 hours to feel relief and today, two days later, there is no pain. My script cost $4. I have put some of the ointment in my sons red diaper areas as a precaution.

My midwife did offer to call APNO into a compounding pharmacy but I declined in favor of the Nystatin.