Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thrush? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1265023)

maddys_mama 08-20-2011 07:48 AM

Thrush?

Guess this is what I get for nursing two kids with nearly no issues. This past month of nursing has been ridiculous. It started with ds biting me and leaving an open wound on my nipple that took 2 weeks to finally close. I tried various things to help it heal....the last of which was lanolin. I'd never used it before because, well, I was one of the super lucky ones that never needed it! Within a day of using lanolin, my areola was super dry and super itchy. I tried more lanolin, CJ's butter, and breast milk to try to get it to moisturize. I slept shirtless to air it out and made sure Sam nursed that side a lot, thinking his saliva might help. Well, it ended up peeling which, of course, left some of my areola bright red and raw. I thought I was in the clear, but nope, now it's super itchy and super dry AGAIN except this time its starting to make nursing painful. Sam doesn't have any white patches in his mouth, but could it still be thrush? I'm out of town for the rest of the month and would have to go to urgent care to get a prescription. I'm so incredibly frustrated with my boob right now!

lisha622 08-20-2011 08:06 AM

Re: Thrush?

I don't THINK this is thrush, but there are sometimes odd cases of thrush like this, so it COULD be possible. In general, thrush for you should feel more like shooting pain or itching in your milk ducts, and not on the outside. And my DD had the white in her mouth before I felt any pain/itching. If you want to take precautions, you could always get GSE over-the-counter and put 10 drops of it in 2 T of diluted water and then apply it to your nipples and baby's mouth with a Q-Tip... this is what took away the thrush for us. But, like I said, I don't think this is thrush. Possibly you're allergic to lanolin?? I never liked lanolin much myself.

maddys_mama 08-20-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisha622
I don't THINK this is thrush, but there are sometimes odd cases of thrush like this, so it COULD be possible. In general, thrush for you should feel more like shooting pain or itching where you milk ducts, and not on the outside. And my DD have the white in her mouth before I felt any pain/itching. If you want to take precautions, you could always get GSE over-the-counter and put 10 drops of it in 2 T of diluted water and then apply it to your nipples and baby's mouth with a Q-Tip... this is what took away the thrush for us. But, like I said, I don't think this is thrush. Possibly you're allergic to lanolin?? I never liked lanolin much myself.

I thought about being allergic to lanolin, but I haven't put any on in over a week (but the second round of dry skin and itching started yesterday) and I can wash Sam's longies with no issues? At this point, I'm up for trying anything!