Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Do I need to give him cereal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1266897)

corinne76 08-23-2011 05:35 PM

Do I need to give him cereal?

DS isn't a fan. I tried rice cereal mixed with breastmilk and he broke out all around his mouth. I tried oatmeal and he's fine but didnt like it too much.

Can I just mix some oatmeal into his purees so he gets some iron?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 08-23-2011 05:51 PM

Re: Do I need to give him cereal?

You don't have to give cereal I think they give it to teach the baby how to chew and mash the food and get texture. I used to put it in the puree's to thicken them up some and ds2 liked it.

KristieW 08-23-2011 06:25 PM

You don't need to give either cereal or purees if your kiddo is six months! There's a lot of info on baby-led solids in this forum, which might be something to look into.

As far as the iron, I believe that research indicates that in BF'd babies, if mom has sufficient iron, baby will as well. For FF'd babies, formula has all the iron they need.

The history behind the rice cereal thing:
Back in the early 1900s, there was a scientific revolution with all sorts of new discoveries. The motto for anyone "educated" was pretty much "better living through science." Formula became the "scientific" way to feed babies. Unfortunately formula (and think of the name--refers to the fact that every lab/ped/etc. had a different formula of things that needed to go into it) didn't actually contain everything a baby needed to grow at that point and additional food supplementation became necessary for babies to be healthy, hence the introduction of complementary foods at very young ages. Cereals and then purees were the only way to do that because if you're trying to get "solids" into a baby that's only six weeks old, they haven't developed any of the muscles necessary to manipulate food/chew/swallow/etc. (Their guts also haven't developed the ability to process it, but that wasn't even thought of.) Fast forward to a "more enlightened" LOL time, and we know it's better for baby's digestive system to wait to intro solids... but we're still feeding them like they're two months old.

/info geek ;)

corinne76 08-23-2011 07:40 PM

thanks! I was afraid it was something we needed for the iron or something. I'd much rather him eat fruit or something with more nutrition for breakfast than baby oatmeal.

I did look into BLW. We tried to give him a few pieces of food, but we didnt follow through with it. We just felt more comfortable starting with purees.

EmilytheStrange 08-24-2011 01:05 PM

nope. Cereal is completely unnecessary.

It was created because formula used to be incomplete. Now if you are breastfeeding, you can just eat more iron yourself or if you are using formula, the formula is complete enough to skip cereals.

If you are interested in using up what you have (that doesn't break him out), you can mix sparingly in your other foods.

corinne76 08-24-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 13622118)
nope. Cereal is completely unnecessary.

It was created because formula used to be incomplete. Now if you are breastfeeding, you can just eat more iron yourself or if you are using formula, the formula is complete enough to skip cereals.

If you are interested in using up what you have (that doesn't break him out), you can mix sparingly in your other foods.

I may mix the oatmeal in with his breakfast but other than that I think I'm going to skip the whole cereal thing
thanks everyone!

iloveoregon 09-10-2011 07:49 PM

Sweet potatoes are a veg that's a good iron source! Skip the cereal!

klv29 09-13-2011 07:01 PM

Yea you can skip it :)

mamashea 09-13-2011 08:12 PM

(the following doesn't apply if you're formula-feeding)
If you're still breastfeeding, avoid anything supplemented with extra iron (like cereals). Anything naturally rich in iron is great though!
True your breastmilk has less iron in it - however, that iron is much more bio-available to your baby's body & the "good bugs" in her tummy than the iron in cereals & some other baby-foods (& kid foods). It is also less bio-available to the "bad bugs" in your baby's tummy. The iron used for fortification is the exact opposite. Not only that, but it can also make the iron in your breastmilk more available to the "bad bugs" (which had previously not been), so that your baby will then be getting less iron from your breastmilk as well. I hope that could be followed. The kids are going crazy at the moment, so i don't know if i typed that well. I do have the sources to the articles to back that up around here somewhere, but we are in the middle of a sudden move, so i don't know where & i gotta go take care of those kiddos! Hope this helps! If someone else has those links or is good at research feel free to post them for me! ~ blessings!

kcase6 09-14-2011 06:23 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. Reinforces my decision to skip cereals all together. Thanks Mamas!!

:-) Kerry