Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   How to.. in public restrooms!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267005)

Dewberri 08-23-2011 09:07 PM

How to.. in public restrooms!?

Soooo DD has been using the potty at home consistently with very few accidents for a few months now. She's two and a half. BUT when we are out and about she refuses to go into public restrooms... it's like she scared of the toilets... She has gone potty successfully in restrooms before with no issues... I wonder what has her so upset and what can I do to help her... Anyone have advice?!

I don't know of any instance when she got flushed on :giggle: That is to say when one of the toilets with a sensor flushed while she was still sitting on it. She has expressed some fear of the super powered blowers... I bought one of those foldable plastic potty seats and we keep that in the diaper bag so that she can still sit without touching anything nasty... :headscratch:

I don't know what to do... I don't mind having her in pull-ups while we are out because generally our car ride anywhere is about 30 minutes with very few possible potty stops along the way... and I'm fine with her doing her own thing... but I really want to address the fear that she seems to have... and I don't know how to help her... :fryingpan:

Any advice?!

mama_to_DJM 08-26-2011 12:24 AM

Re: How to.. in public restrooms!?

I don't have any advice, but I can commiserate, because my 2 1/2 year old DD is also scared of the automatically flushing potties! LOL They're so loud & unpredictable! Good luck, I hope your daughter can get over this quickly!

an_aurora 08-26-2011 01:24 AM

I just explain that the "magic potty" knows to flush when she's all done. Also, I sit the kiddo on the potty backwards, with their bum on the front and their feet up on the seat towards the back. They are more stable and aren't afraid of falling in.

Dewberri 08-26-2011 08:20 AM

:hugs: Poor little kids... I just feel so badly that she's so anxious. Thanks mamas. If I figure out something else that works, I'll let you know :thumbsup:

veveland 08-26-2011 08:28 AM

If it's an automatic flush she's afraid of, keep a book of post-it notes in your purse/diaper bag. You can stick one over the sensor before she sits down. That way, it won't flush with her on it, or even until you remove the note. That way, she can be prepared and it won't take her by surprise.

If she's afraid of that size of the potty (since most public ones sit higher and are bigger than the ones in homes), try a fold-out potty seat with a character she likes. That's how we got DD to go in public restrooms. I just keep it in a big ziploc bag in the diaper bag and sanitize it when we get home if it's been used. :thumbsup:

ETA: just saw that you said you had the fold out seat. :thumbsup:

MavericksMama 08-26-2011 08:56 AM

With my daughter, who is 3 1/2 now, what I did was sit her sideways on the potty (I was always skeeved that her leg would touch the white part that usually has pee on it. How women manage to pee there is still beyond me.) Anyways, she would sit sideways, and I would tell her to lean forward and grab my leg. Leaning forward insured that she would pee in the potty and not on the seat, and she could hold tight to my leg to feel safe.

2boysandagirl 08-27-2011 03:21 PM

I second the post it note idea! If you are caught out without a post it, a long receipt can be folded in half and will hang long enough over the edge to cover the "eye". This has made my daughter much less reluctant to use public restrooms. Good luck, it is much easier once they get over that initial fear.

Hands&Fire Pottery 08-27-2011 03:48 PM

My girl talks a lot about what kind of hand drying plans she has... she has certain bathrooms memorized for what is available. Maybe bringing along a hand towel?

LadyatHome 08-28-2011 05:13 PM

We always talk about how the public restroom is similar to ours at home. They both have potties, toilet paper, soap, sinks. . .Name as many similarities as possible. Tile floors! Also, I usually offer to go first. It seems to put them at ease and keeps me from getting squirmy waiting for her to go! :) Then I stand next to her with my hand over the sensor to make sure there are no flushing mishaps. My daughter won't dry her hands with the blowers--too noisy. Could be somethings as simple as that.

youngmomma 08-28-2011 05:17 PM

ds hates the blowers too. I just started packing hand sanitizer and a few cloth wipes. We have a foldable potty seat....but after it's fallen in a few times I got rid of it. I hold him while he gets to "aim" in the potty.....he thinks it's a fun game because he doesn't get to stand at home yet. He's only 2.5.....not sure how'll I'll deal with this if I have a dd someday