Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How in the world do I get thin tortillas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268918)

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-27-2011 02:33 PM

How in the world do I get thin tortillas?

I think of myself as pretty handy in the kitchen and do most things from scratch, but certain food allude me... tortillas being one of them. I've tried several recipes and they taste great, but I CANNOT get them rolled thin enough. I let them rest. When I roll them out, they are super thin, as in almost see-through. But in the pan, they puff up and end up looking kind of like Taco Bell Chalupas (do they even still have those?). I made some the other day and ended up using them like those sandwich flats. The girls loved their sandwiches made one them, but I really just wanted a nice quesadilla. :cry:

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Oh, these are flour tortillas I'm making.

Ducko 08-27-2011 06:32 PM

Re: How in the world do I get thin tortillas?

Are you using a bread flour or a self-rising flour?

photocat 08-27-2011 09:12 PM

When I make tortillas I like to soak them as per NT. So, I make them then leave them in bowl on the bench overnight. The next night I roll out half, then form the rest into balls and freeze them. When I next make tortillas, I let the frozen dough thaw and sit for a bit, then roll the out. THAT lot, the frozen then thawed ones, roll out very very thin and have less stretch left in the dough so it doesn't pull the rolled out circle back smaller again. I use spelt flour, either whole meal or a mix of white and wholemeal. They don't puff up, either.

Maybe post your recipe?

ittybittycoconuts 08-29-2011 12:36 PM

It might be your recipe. Ive never had them puff that thick

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-29-2011 10:06 PM

I used bread flour this last time, but I used whole white wheat previously and had similar results.

Here is the recipe I used.

I have the NT cookbook, maybe I'll check it out. I've thought about soaking grains for quite some time, but just haven't planned ahead well enough to do it.

ittybittycoconuts 08-29-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse (Post 13654732)
I used bread flour this last time, but I used whole white wheat previously and had similar results.

Here is the recipe I used.

I have the NT cookbook, maybe I'll check it out. I've thought about soaking grains for quite some time, but just haven't planned ahead well enough to do it.

I see the problem. The milk and baking soda. Those are not traditional tortilla recipe ingredients. After your done cooking them put them in a gallon ziplock and let them steam and cool, theyll be more pliable and more like store bought.

Try this recipe:
2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour or traditional whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons (1-1/4 ounces) oil
2/3 cup (5-3/8 ounces) warm water

Combine the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl or a food processor and mix together. I used the food processor and it worked great. Add the oil and mix into the flour thoroughly. Mix in the warm water (with the machine running, if youíre using a food processor). Depending on the flourís moisture content, you may need to use more or less water. Youíll want a dough thatís a bit softer than the ones you make with white flour; the whole wheat will absorb some of the liquid as it sits. Once youíve mxed the dough, let it sit, covered, for 20 minutes.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it a few times, and pat it into an even disk. Cut the dough (a pastry scraper works well for this) into 10 to 12 pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Cover the balls and let them rest for 20 minutes.

Heat a heavy, ungreased griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. If you have a tortilla press, use it to flatten each ball. If youíre rolling out the tortillas by hand, take one of the balls and flatten it into a small disk. Using a floured rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface, roll the tortilla into a very thin, flat round about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Toss a tortilla onto the griddle or skillet and let it heat on one side for about 1 minute, then use a spatula to lift and flip the tortilla to bake it on the other side, about 1 more minute.

While the first tortilla is baking, roll the second one. Transfer the baked tortilla to a plate and toss on the next tortilla. Repeat until all the tortillas are rolled and baked. You may stack the tortillas and cover them with a towel to keep them soft and warm until you use them

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-30-2011 07:18 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely try this. :)

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-30-2011 07:19 AM

dp

photocat 08-30-2011 09:43 PM

Hmm, I've put b/powder in mine before, then left it out with no discernible difference. It might be because I soak them, so the b/powder doesn't work. I now leave it out. I don't use milk either, just warm water. Good luck!

Oh, and to keep them soft, my tip for that is under cook them just slightly.

AndeeL 08-30-2011 10:31 PM

I made some tonight and used.b powder. No chalupas. Some of them tried to bubble up but I whacked with my spatula and they stopped, lol