Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Early Potty training advice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269061)

LittleLady8 08-27-2011 09:05 PM

Early Potty training advice

My son is 12 months and I want to start early potty training with him. Does anyone have advice? I bought a potty chair but don't know what to do next :giggle:.

lilluciana 08-27-2011 10:31 PM

Re: Early Potty training advice

I would love some advice too, with my boys I didn't introduce a potty chair until 2 years but my DD 16mo is now taking her diaper off in her crib and it is not pretty when it's a poopy one! I have a new potty chair but she seems afraid to sit on it!

LadyatHome 08-28-2011 05:04 PM

I'm going to be watching this post! I've been reading about EC (Elimination Communication) and it sounds simple enough. It's usually started at birth, but I think the methods could work for a 12mo old. My third daughter just turned one and I am starting to train her. I trained my older two at 3yrs and it took almost a year for them to get it, so I'm hoping to get some better results by starting early. At least if it takes a year this time, she'll be 2 and not 4.

youngmomma 08-28-2011 05:11 PM

We put the potty chair next to the bath tub at 12 months. Whenever he got a bath we would sit him on the potty chair while fixing his bath water. If he went....we praised and praised him for going in the potty!

Then this spring at 26 months we started sitting on the potty when we got up in the morning, before bath, and before bed. Then more and more throughout the day.

At 2.5 we packed up the diapers completely and just did it....within 2 weeks we're down to one accident or so a day--and that's when he catches him self and starts running to the bathroom.

LittleLady8 08-28-2011 07:32 PM

thanks for the advice so far. i do think starting at 12 months is probably more along the lines of EC but I want to make the potty a normal part of everyday life while he still wants to please me ;-). Anyone else start this young? And how do you get an active toddler to actually sit on the potty?

BirthdayMama 09-07-2011 02:30 PM

Read Diaper Free Before 3. I found this to be insanely helpful. I'd read Diaper Free Baby and the other one people always mention about EC, and while they contained useful takeaways, they both made it seem like you had to be a weird hippie whose kids are always naked to make it work. DFB3 was the first I read that just made early potty training seem like it could be a normal part of daily life. The basic idea is just that you sit your child on the potty at regular times during the day (like first thing after waking up, right after a meal, before getting in the car, etc.), and eventually they will start going at those times. It was the aha moment I needed. She does have a bit of a soapbox on anti AP methods that would annoy anyone more truly AP than I am, and she sort of assumes you formula feed, which is annoying. But if you can look past all that, it's a really helpful book, and pretty unique, in that it's actually written by a pediatrician who advocates early potty training. It contains a great section on the history of disposable diapers and the effects they've had on later and later potty training.

Tweedledum 09-13-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthdayMama (Post 13707397)
Read Diaper Free Before 3. I found this to be insanely helpful. I'd read Diaper Free Baby and the other one people always mention about EC, and while they contained useful takeaways, they both made it seem like you had to be a weird hippie whose kids are always naked to make it work. DFB3 was the first I read that just made early potty training seem like it could be a normal part of daily life. The basic idea is just that you sit your child on the potty at regular times during the day (like first thing after waking up, right after a meal, before getting in the car, etc.), and eventually they will start going at those times. It was the aha moment I needed. She does have a bit of a soapbox on anti AP methods that would annoy anyone more truly AP than I am, and she sort of assumes you formula feed, which is annoying. But if you can look past all that, it's a really helpful book, and pretty unique, in that it's actually written by a pediatrician who advocates early potty training. It contains a great section on the history of disposable diapers and the effects they've had on later and later potty training.

:yeahthat: YES, YES AND YES! Diaper Free before Three is pretty much the best resource on potty-training that I have found, and let me tell you, I've read a LOT. I did not get the sense that she assumes you formula feed, though. :headscratch: She does recommend that PLing parallel the introduction of solid foods, which made perfect sense to me. The book opened me up to ECing whereas previously I thought it was nonsense. Now I'm actually ECing a 2 month old, which I never would have considered doing if this book hadn't made me examine my assumptions about infant toilet training due to our cultural biases. It's a book worth checking out.

TPLmommy 09-21-2011 05:04 PM

I introduced the "toilet" (a potty chair, bjorne's littlest one) to both my kids around 12 months or earlier. I waited til they had a consistent poop time (for both it was first thing in the AM) & then would just put them on the "toilet" at that time & they'd go. It was really easy, actually. Then they got used to it & communicated (verbally or by their actions) when they needed to go poop at other times & I would put them on the toilet again & they'd go. It was really nice not to have to clean up poopy CDs!

Once my son was about 20 months (& I was due with DD in 2 months) I started training him to go pee in the "toilet" too. It took him until the week he turned two to be completely trained day & night. I felt pretty good about the whole process & believe introducing the "toilet" early helped a lot.

My DD otoh is 20 months now & has reverted back to pooping in her diaper after we switched to sposies (due to extreme morning sickness). Once I'm in my second trimester I am going to try to completely toilet train her but I have a feeling she may put up more resistance than DS. She is super verbal & will actually say "No poop in toilet! Poop in diaper!". Soooo we'll see! At least she's pooping in sposies instead of cloth! :)

All that to say I think introducing the potty at an early age can be very helpful for several reasons! :thumbsup:

california_zin 09-27-2011 09:55 PM

We introduced the potty chair to our DD at 17 months, and she loves sitting there... we put her on it first thing in the morning, after breakfast, and after dinner. She uses it on occasion, but doesn't seem to understand that that's what she's supposed to do while there. The good news is that she really seems to enjoy sitting there and reading her books. She is completely content to sit there for 30-45 min, and has developed a positive attitude about the location. If we say "would you like to sit on your potty chair?", she will run across the house to do so! I figure that we've established a good relationship between her and the potty, and in time it will eventually click. Hopefully she will not associate it with reading instead (that's my biggest worry, in case I have this totally wrong!).