Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   NFP while EBF?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269522)

veveland 08-29-2011 06:54 AM

NFP while EBF??

Okay mamas, I'm copying this in the BFing forum too...not sure where I'll get the most replies. My 3rd LO is due any day now and DH and I are going to try our hand at NFP. I've read TCOYF, and am trying to gather as much info as I can before she arrives.

So my questions are...

For those of you that EBF:
Do you bother temping at all? I know that being up a lot at night will throw that off-so is it worth it?
Do you just use OPKs all the time until you get PPAF?

What other tips do you have for a first-timer? Thanks in advance!!

TofuScramble 08-29-2011 07:01 PM

Re: NFP while EBF??

I did temp everyday.. but this was when I was like 10 months postpartum, still waiting for AF.
I found the OPK's weren't reliable- I had a TON of positives.. I mean serious blaring ones.. but I wasn't ovulating.. my body was in a constant state of "gearing up" it seemed.

But you can use them as you start having more regular cycles and can depend on them, I just have issue with them before your PPAF.

Anyways- if your body is like mine, you'll notice a short luteal phase while nursing. I would get crosshairs, then start my period like 6-9dpo.. that's why the one month my temp stayed up until 10dpo I KNEW I was pregnant (even though my first hpt was stark white negative, I had a faint pos the next day).

Anyways- congrats on your baby, I hope your delivery goes well :goodvibes:

hippieintraining 08-29-2011 11:58 PM

I'm where you are! Except my DD is in my arms :) She's 4 months now and I'm SHOCKED AF hasn't come back.

I've learned that my CM lies to me. I've thought at least 4 times that I was going to O and then it didn't happen. So I'm using my cervix as a guide. It's been low, firm and closed since I started checking, a few weeks after she was born.

I'll likely start temping this fall. I haven't bothered so far, not just because of the inconsistent nights but also because it's summer and with no AC half of the time I'm soaked with sweat by the time morning comes, but if we've had a day or so of rain and a break from the heat, I may actually need a comforter!!

However, I'm not trusting FAM until I have a few AFs. DD was conceived with the first egg after DS and I really had no idea I was Oing (but I wasn't checking my cervix then).

Good luck!!

Kriket 09-01-2011 01:16 PM

I didn't get ppaf w/ #1 until about just after a year. Temping was worthless and OPKs were too pricey. We were ready for #2 and caught probably the 3rd cycle by CM. But I wouldn't trust it to TTA. Like PP, I don't trust only FAM until AF is back in swing.

rcima 09-06-2011 03:27 PM

Book Recommendation: 'Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing' by Sheila Matgen Kippley. I was just going to start a new thread recommending this book and then I saw your post. The book explains how you can use EBF as a very effective form of birth control before your fertility returns and then how you can transition into NFP. I know I'm not exactly answering your question, but I thought this might be helpful. By following this book's guidelines, fertility can be suppressed for 14.5 months, on average (but ranging from 9 - 30+ months). No temp taking, no mucus checking, no charting, etc. just lots of nursing. I had my first baby 9 months ago and I still haven't had a PPAF.