Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do I feed my baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269776)

idigchaitea 08-29-2011 02:07 PM

What do I feed my baby?

My son is almost 10 months and I'm still BFing. I started him on solids at about 6 months, and at first he enjoyed most of the baby food I gave him. Nowadays, he refuses most baby food and clamps his mouth shut. I tried giving him some whole cooked peas and shredded carrots to see if he'd eat those. He just gags when I put one in his mouth. I try healthy "cheerios" but he doesn't really eat them. It's like finger foods are too chunky but he's bored with baby food. Any suggestions?

ArronDalesMama 08-29-2011 02:19 PM

Finger foods that smoosh easily? Like ripe bananas, avocados, cooked carrots. Watermelon isn't really mushy but it is easy to mash with your mouth and seems smoothy. My LO loved peeled grapes. And if much isn't eaten don't worry. Remember bm or formula is all they need for the first year.

carriek38 08-29-2011 02:25 PM

Re: What do I feed my baby?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama (Post 13652121)
Finger foods that smoosh easily? Like ripe bananas, avocados, cooked carrots. Watermelon isn't really mushy but it is easy to mash with your mouth and seems smoothy. My LO loved peeled grapes. And if much isn't eaten don't worry. Remember bm or formula is all they need for the first year.

Agreed. Also, DD chowed down on sweet potatoes like they were going out of style (cubed & cooked so she could feed herself). It sounds icky, but she liked veggie puree (sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.) & pasta mixed together. We didn't do most sauces on pasta, but she liked Beefaroni when we were tight on prep time :hide:...mac & cheese might be good to try.

EmilytheStrange 08-29-2011 04:51 PM

I would take all of these things and put them on the tray and let him choose whether or not to put them in his mouth.

Also, I would start with larger things like fresh celery stalks as opposed to peas. That way he can hold it and gnaw it. As opposed to something so small that it rolls back and gags him.

Also, there will be a gag reflex adjustment. And it's normal and okay. Gagging is not choking. He has to figure this stuff out. Just watch and hold yourself back and help him learn to cough things up out of his gagging area.

ArronDalesMama 08-29-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carriek38

Agreed. Also, DD chowed down on sweet potatoes like they were going out of style (cubed & cooked so she could feed herself). It sounds icky, but she liked veggie puree (sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.) & pasta mixed together. We didn't do most sauces on pasta, but she liked Beefaroni when we were tight on prep time :hide:...mac & cheese might be good to try.

Over cooked pasta was one of his favorites. And I would do a sauce of veggie purses instead of regular sauces. Who knew pasta with cauliflower and carrot puree is tasty to a kid?! Lol

carriek38 08-29-2011 05:25 PM

oooh, we made her sweet potato & apple bisque; it was her favorite. We saw one of the gourmet pouches of baby food that was this blend, so DP made some up & DD loved it; it became the only thing she would eat when teething. And we put some cabbage in there; DD didn't even know she was eating it :giggle:. Remember, a little goes a long way. Even a small batch of whatever was too much for DD to eat before it would go bad, so we froze it in ice cube trays, then dumped the cubes into freezer bags...you could heat a couple of cubes in no time & still feel good about what you were feeding her. We had cubes of turnips & parsnips, pasta & veggie sauce, bisque, whatever. Also, b/c DD had some food sensitivities, we had to prep her food separate from ours, so pre-cooking & freezing some small pieces of chicken or turkey worked out well. It made it much easier to make sure I was giving her plenty of veggies, some protein, & some healthy starches.

aerobebe1421 08-29-2011 11:24 PM

At 10 mos., Carter got whatever we were eating, on his own plate. We didn't feed it to him, but rather let him decide. We didn't force it. If he ended up playing with it more than eating it, then so be it. Some days he was definitely more into it than others. We'd give him pastas, diced or big chunks of fruit (blueberries, raspberries, and watermelon are a fave), steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, toast, cereal, yogurt melts, shavings of chicken breast/roast/turkey, ground turkey.

Remember that "food before 1 is just for fun." Breastmilk will still be his main source of nutrition. :)

AnimalHouse 08-30-2011 08:40 AM

We do babyled weaning, and just give them whatever we're eating. Baby gets his own little plate and utensils (baby-safe stuff, obviously) and if they eat, great. If not, that's fine too.

mama j 08-30-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 13652949)
Also, there will be a gag reflex adjustment. And it's normal and okay. Gagging is not choking. He has to figure this stuff out. Just watch and hold yourself back and help him learn to cough things up out of his gagging area.

:yeahthat: You can also try tofu. My LO loved it and it has just enough texture but not too much. Maybe some butternut squash too.

m&m&m 08-30-2011 02:23 PM

we just made whatever we were eating into baby food, so taco night I would puree the taco meat, cheese, avocado, and onion. He LOVED it. or baby burgers: hamburger meat, cheese, avocado, ketchup, mustard. Oh and he LOVED curry chicken too, couldn't get enough of it. Sweet Potatoes also were very good for him, we usually baked with butter and fed with a spoon/fork.