Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do you make your sweet tea?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270189)

Funnyfarmmomma 08-30-2011 10:52 AM

How do you make your sweet tea??

:goodvibes: Just Curious :goodvibes:

Being raising as a 'city girl' from up north i never knew what real sweet tea was and thought iced tea was only made from powder mix from the supermarket :roflmbo:.

Sooo now that i live in the south i LOVE sweet tea and have done 'sun tea' before but just curious how you mama's make yours so i can make it even when the suns not out :giggle2:

Crow Mountain Crafts 08-30-2011 10:55 AM

Re: How do you make your sweet tea??

DH makes the tea in our house. He uses a huge gallon jug and adds 1.5 cups of sugar. He boils a pot of water and when it starts to boil, add 4 tea bags. He lets it simmer for about 10 minutes and then pours it all in on the sugar while it is still hot. Stir, add cold water, stir, add tons of ice.

prettynpink613 08-30-2011 11:25 AM

We put a pot of water on the stove with 4 big tea bags. Once it starts to boil turn it off and let it sit for a little whle. The pour it in a pitcher over :blush: at least 2 cups of sugar and stir. The I add water until it is the color I like my tea. DH doesn't like lemon in his so I add that to my own individual glasses!!

My FIL uses his coffee maker instead of a pot on the stove!

wyldcat 08-30-2011 12:21 PM

i do the same as the mamas above me but i do add 1/4 tsp baking soda to a gallon of tea to help with the bitterness that comes with tea sometimes and I also don't squeeze out the tea bags because that can release to much tannic acid into the tea and make it bitter

Funnyfarmmomma 08-30-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldcat (Post 13657892)
i do the same as the mamas above me but i do add 1/4 tsp baking soda to a gallon of tea to help with the bitterness that comes with tea sometimes and I also don't squeeze out the tea bags because that can release to much tannic acid into the tea and make it bitter

Very interesting, i didn't know that! Thanks mama :thumbsup:

marym4kiddos 08-30-2011 01:18 PM

When the sun isn't out we use our coffee maker :) We don't drink coffee so we use it as our brewer for tea. I put in 5 bags (depending on the size of the tea bags I sometimes use more or less). I make about 3 pots from those tea bags and then pour in at least 1 cup of sugar...

flintgirl 08-30-2011 04:32 PM

I bought a tea maker at walmart for $18. Easiest way to make tea.

I buy the big Lipton tea bags and put 3 in the machine. Follow the directions except I don't add ice I add water. We drink tea everyday and this makes the best tasting tea.

Or put 3 big bags in a small pot with water and boil. Add to a 2 quart pitcher and then fill with water. Add your sugar before you add the cold water so the sugar melts.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-31-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnyfarmmomma (Post 13657997)
Very interesting, i didn't know that! Thanks mama :thumbsup:

:yeahthat:

I boil 1 qt of water (give or take) and once it is boiling, I turn it off and put in 5 of the smaller tea bags. Let it steep for 10 minutes or so (or whenever I get back to it). In the pitcher I put 1ish cups of sugar (I'm trying to wean the fam off refined sugar). Add the tea and then add water to 1 gallon. Stir.

My mom always said not to let the water boil with the tea bags in it. That's what makes it bitter. :dunno: I always squeeze the bags, so I'll stop doing that immediately! :thumbsup:

MamaRachel 08-31-2011 01:33 PM

I must like mine strong!

I add a generous cup of sugar to my 1 gal pitcher, add at least a quart of boiling water, stir to dissolve, then add 8-9 tea bags (decaf now) and let it sit and brew for a bit. I then dilute up to 1 gal with water or ice depending on how fast I want to drink it. :goodvibes:

Lillikin 09-01-2011 03:19 PM

We heat 2 family size tea bags in 4 cups water for 6 min in microwave in a glass measuring cup. Add 1 1/3 cup sugar to large pitcher, pour tea in, stir until sugar dissolves, and add cold (tap) water.