Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how do I know if a pair of shoes is too big for dd? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127036)

sesa70 04-07-2007 10:08 PM

how do I know if a pair of shoes is too big for dd?

I have always bought a size or more up for older dd b/c she has small feet and doesnt walk. But now that younger dd is walking and needing shoes (I have a real kids shoe problem, I admitt it) I dont know what size to get her.

I have a pair I ordered online that is SO adorable but I think its too big. So tell me, mamas, how big is too big? How much room are you comfortable leaving for growth? Thanks!

LuAnn 04-07-2007 11:11 PM

Re: how do I know if a pair of shoes is too big for dd?

I was always told to buy 1/2 size up (that way they have growing room) right now ds is a 7 but he wears a 7 1/2 with no problems (or in JoShoes they are the 2/3) have your dd stand and push down on the front part of her shoe, see where her longest toe is and there should be about a thumb length and your good. IMO

ETA: the tip of your thumb, (to maybe the 1st knuckle--if that much)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 04-07-2007 11:15 PM

1 inch for growing room is considered perfect! :thumbsup:

nikkiof5 04-07-2007 11:17 PM

And if she starts tripping, they are too big..But I always use my thumb to measure. About 1/2 of your thumb length, measureing from the tip of your thumb to the first crease (knuckle)

sesa70 04-08-2007 08:23 AM

Thanks for the advise mamas!

I bought a pair of see kai runs, and I think she needs a 4.5, but unfortunately they dont come in half sizes :banghead:

I got the 5, and there seems to be too much room, with super thick socks I can get a little over a thumb, but she trips after a few steps and falls, and the poor kid has hit her head on the walls and dresser when she wasnt falling! LOL! I guess I need a size 4.

Another foot question, how quickly do kids feet grow? when do your dc outgrow their shoes?

tazzae 04-08-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesa70 (Post 933676)
Another foot question, how quickly do kids feet grow? when do your dc outgrow their shoes?

My dd's feet grow in spurts--so it may be 2 months or up to 6 months before her shoes are too small. Probably not much help, but it's my experience. :goodvibes:

ChoiceSoaps 04-08-2007 11:19 AM

I think they aren't too big unless dc is tripping over their feet and falling down. My ds's feet grew like crazy in the small sizes. He went from size 4.5 to size 8 in 3 months, but I don't think that's really typical. He was in size 8 for 6 months and is now outgrowing them.