Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My dr told me to wean my three month old! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270517)

NikkiGig 08-30-2011 08:23 PM

My dr told me to wean my three month old!

I have fought hard for the breastfeeding relationship I have with DD2. We had suck issues that lead to supply issues that landed us in the hospital for FTT. We have finally gotten back on track, but about a month ago I started having thrush symptoms. DD2 never had symptoms. I went to my PCP after a couple weeks of trying home remedies and she gave me two doses of diflucan to be taken a week apart. After I finished those it didn't clear up so I went back to her yesterday to discuss if I needed more diflucan or if it could be something else like vasospasms or staph. She said it couldnt be anything else and she could give me more diflucan but that I should just wean her! She said three months of bfing was good enough and that formula is the same as breastmilk so why bother. She then went on to tell me that my baby is too skinny so I am obviously not doing her any favors by continuing to breastfeeding her! :cry: Of course I told her weaning was not an option and I would breastfeed her has long as she wants even if I am in pain every single day. I just can't believe how ignorant she was, what she said really hurt my feelings since it has taken so much hard work to get to where we are.

palsmama 08-30-2011 08:30 PM

Re: My dr told me to wean my three month old!

:banghead: :fryingpan: :thud:

She needs some education. You should print out some info and send it to her!

apmelen 08-30-2011 08:37 PM

Ugh, I am so sorry Mama! You should be commended for sticking it out for the good health of your child.

kocho 08-30-2011 09:08 PM

I'd find a new doctor. That's terrible!!!

e&m's mama 08-30-2011 09:15 PM

Good for you, Mama! Way too many people are ready to quit (or suggest that you should) when it gets tough! When my DD was an infant, her pediatrician was all for breastfeeding but started telling me to supplement when she was around 1 (she was of course eating reg food but he wanted me to give her pediasure to gain weight). She's always been at the top of the charts in height but in the bottom for weight. She's 3 now and perfectly healthy and absolutely brilliant! Personally, I think if there weren't so many infants beoling over-fed with formula the drs wouldn't tell us our babies were too small!! Don't give up and thinl about finding a new PCP if you have too! Good luck, Mama!

NikkiGig 08-30-2011 09:30 PM

Oh I am for sure getting a new PCP! No doubt about that!

Joyful Tie Dyes 08-30-2011 09:38 PM

DO two things.

1- Meet with an LC, many times thrush symptoms can be from a bad latch
2- If it IS thrush try Candex + probiotics (this totally worked for me after MONTHS of thrush.

CEVmommy 08-31-2011 11:02 AM

Sorry about your sucky doctor. Someone on here said recently that it seemed like docs know more about breastfeeding these days, but I tell you, I read stories like this one every day and they just don't. :(

Anyway, if it is thrush, I think you should try the 10 day treatment. I don't know about this two doses a week apart thing. Also, even if baby does not show symptoms, if it is thrush, you have to treat both of you or else you will never get rid of it and just pass it back and forth.

happysmileylady 08-31-2011 11:25 AM

Well I am going to go out on a limb here and risk being flamed.

Quote:

landed us in the hospital for FTT
Let me repeat that quote. Your baby ended up IN THE HOSPITAL for failure to thrive.

I do not in any way think that your doc is out of line for suggesting that perhaps breastfeeding, which has already endangered the health of your baby, in only three months, might not be the best option.

Now, if the doc actually said the words in your OP, then yes, she was out of line for saying it that way.

But, your child was in the hosptial because of breastfeeding problems. I personally think that it's not a good idea to continue to do something that has caused enough problems that it landed your child IN THE HOSPITAL. I am actually surprised that your doc didn't push harder for you to wean earlier, like before a trip to the hospital was even in the picture.

I believe that no formula is more dangerous than a failure to thrive diagnosis that lands you in the hospital.

keowilliams 08-31-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 13664231)
Well I am going to go out on a limb here and risk being flamed.

Let me repeat that quote. Your baby ended up IN THE HOSPITAL for failure to thrive.

I do not in any way think that your doc is out of line for suggesting that perhaps breastfeeding, which has already endangered the health of your baby, in only three months, might not be the best option.

Now, if the doc actually said the words in your OP, then yes, she was out of line for saying it that way.

But, your child was in the hosptial because of breastfeeding problems. I personally think that it's not a good idea to continue to do something that has caused enough problems that it landed your child IN THE HOSPITAL. I am actually surprised that your doc didn't push harder for you to wean earlier, like before a trip to the hospital was even in the picture.

I believe that no formula is more dangerous than a failure to thrive diagnosis that lands you in the hospital.

It wasn't her child's pediatrician who recommended that she wean. It was her Primary Care Physician. Not really the PCPs place to offer advice on FTT issues.