Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   I'm so confused about starting solids. Need guidance. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270577)

mommy2clara 08-30-2011 10:06 PM

I'm so confused about starting solids. Need guidance.

My daughter will be 7 months soon, and I've experimented with solids a bit since she turned 6 months. I mash up about an inch of fresh banana for her once daily, and she's also tried sweet potatoes and peaches, both also fresh. She's receptive. I just feel confused about how to proceed. At her 4 month appointment, the NP told me it was fine to start giving her rice cereal. But then I am told that the AAP recommends no solids til 6 months? Why is my pediatrician going against this recommendation? I don't want to ask them any more questions about nutrition/starting solids because of this incongruency.

I've also always been grossed out by jarred baby food and I'd rather just mash up something we're having for dinner and give her that, or make my own or whatever.

I'm also confused about how eating solid foods and breastfeeding (or drinking bottles of BM as I work FT) go together...when do I start nursing less and giving solids more, how do I know that's what I should do, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed? Any books or other reading material that you would recommend? Thanks.

TooBusyBearcubs 08-30-2011 10:43 PM

Re: I'm so confused about starting solids. Need guidance.

I would normally write more, but I'm currently using my phone. I made our babyfood for both my kiddos, @ home and organic as much as possible. I am a research hound, so I found that our peds' recommendations were inconsistent as well. Check out WholesomeBabyfood.com. :) It is a very helpful resource, whether you make your baby's food or not. Feel free to PM me if you need help, and I can respond next time I'm @ my computer. ;)

lilylouhoo 08-30-2011 11:33 PM

All of the doctors we have been to do not refer to rice cereal as "solids" so maybe that's the problem? At my son's last appointment (2 months) the doctor said to wait until after the next appointment (4 mo) to start cereal and the 6 month appointment to start solids. That's what they have all said when all my kids were babies. I'm not sure what the official recommendations are but I have always thought that it was weird that they talked about solids and cereal as two different things.

You might think about introducing some vegetables soon. Many babies will resist vegetables once they have fruit because fruit is all sweet and yummy.

TooBusyBearcubs 08-31-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilylouwho (Post 13661889)
All of the doctors we have been to do not refer to rice cereal as "solids" so maybe that's the problem? At my son's last appointment (2 months) the doctor said to wait until after the next appointment (4 mo) to start cereal and the 6 month appointment to start solids. That's what they have all said when all my kids were babies. I'm not sure what the official recommendations are but I have always thought that it was weird that they talked about solids and cereal as two different things.

You might think about introducing some vegetables soon. Many babies will resist vegetables once they have fruit because fruit is all sweet and yummy.

Yeah, that would be confusing to me, too! :headscratch: Solids are solids, whether it is ground up grains or pureed fruit. What really upsets me is when peds tell people to put cereal in baby's bottle! Totally oldschool and against all of the contemporary data, including the AAP. :banghead:
Start slow - with small amounts of food (a couple of tablespoons at a time), and don't expect them to eat a lot at first. They need to explore taste and texture. Give your DD her regular breastmilk/formula before sitting down to do solids. Otherwise, they may get frustrated and cranky from not being able to eat as fast as usual. Once our babies got the hang of eating solids, we would space it about an hour after their bottle.
Good first foods are things like soft fruits and veggies. Acorn squash, green beans, peas, bananas, sweet potatoes, avocados, apples, and pears. We're getting closer to pumpkin season, and pumpkins are a great first food. :) For most foods, you need to steam and puree, but if your little one is good at mashing with her tongue, or has a few little teeth, it might be ok to mash rather than puree. Bananas & avocados can be served mashed right out of the skin.
I do usually start with a few veggies, and then a couple of mild fruits, and then a meat. A agree with the PP - humans are born with a tendency toward sweet stuff, so I like for my babies to get a taste for savory before adding sweet foods.
Again, I would check out WholesomeBabyFood.com - very informative, and their info is generally very current. They also have good advice for making your own babyfood. For books, I also like Mommy Made...and Daddy Too, and also Baby Bites. :goodvibes:

mommy2clara 08-31-2011 09:22 PM

Thanks! I will definitely check out that website.

Buena 09-01-2011 04:52 AM

we have just gotten into this at 5 months. My dd has a fruit at breakfast and a vegi at dinner. she has about 1-2 oz. this really isnt much,. my baby bullet has 2oz cups that stores the food. usually if its a pear or something she polishes it off, sweet potatoe same thing, carrots....ehh if i add cinamon.
we started with 1tbs once a day. then 1 tbs twice a day. now i give her what she wants. i only use the baby cereal to thicken any purees i might have made too thin.
any more Q ask away

Qylie 09-02-2011 06:09 AM

If your having a hard time getting your kid into the solids then you can do:
BF side 1
solids
Bf side 2
You want to work up to BF then solids. That way your supply won't decrease.

EmilytheStrange 09-02-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2clara
I'm also confused about how eating solid foods and breastfeeding (or drinking bottles of BM as I work FT) go together...when do I start nursing less and giving solids more, how do I know that's what I should do, etc.

Ideally, breastmilk should remain the staple food until 1yr. Follow your kiddo's lead. Before 1, solids are 'just for fun'.

Faith and Granola 09-03-2011 06:50 AM

I would also recommend wholesomebabyfood.com. They are a great resource!

There is a lot of conflicting info out there. And it changes so quickly! My DS is 3, and back when I was weaning him the rules were. Rice cereal at 4 mo, fruits/veggies at 6mo, and delay all allergenic foods until 1 year. Now I am weaning my second and I am reading new info about skipping the rice cereal stage and go right to fruits, veggies, and even meat! And, the AAP has switched sides and now recommends not delaying allergenic foods. It can be so confusing.

The good news is that your LO is only being supplemented with small amount of solids at this point, and BM is still their primary nutrition. So follow your baby's lead and your own intuition. And I wouldn't be afraid to ask your ped about the conflicting information, your being pro-active about keeping up to date about the latest research...and so should they :)

(sorry for any typos)

Connor 09-05-2011 01:34 AM

I wouldn't give cereal as it really has no nutritional value. I would wait for signs of readiness such as: teeth, pincher grasp, and being able to sit up from a laying position. These things usually happen around 9 months. And, your baby doesn't really need anything other than your milk until after a year old :)