Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me out for our next DD-- formula?? relactating? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127215)

j9_shooter9 04-08-2007 05:33 PM

Help me out for our next DD-- formula?? relactating?

Well, since we're adopting I need to be schooled in formula. I've only known the boob. :thumbsup:

What's good and why? What about soy? ORganic? What's important to look for?

Lay it all out! Thanks mamas. :)

Also, is it possible to relactate if DS will have been weaned a year when we get DD?

SarieQ 04-08-2007 05:38 PM

Re: Help me out -- formula!!

Off brands like Target and Publix are really good (have ARA and whatever that other important thing is...DHA? RHA?) and much less expensive than Similac, Nestle, Enfamil, etc.

singlemomto3 04-08-2007 05:49 PM

Go with generic, its all regulated, so its similar to buying generic medications. Good luck, formula stains. Have you thought about relactation?

LuAnn 04-08-2007 05:53 PM

It depends on the child...I would buy a brand and see how dc takes to it, if it doesnt agree with them try another brand..GOOD LUCK and congrats on adopting:goodvibes:

Ds was on a similac brand to begin with for preemies, than moved to another similac (but it wasnt agreeing with him as well), than went to Goodstart and its all he could handle.

averysmom 04-08-2007 05:54 PM

If you want all organic Walmart's brand Parents Choice is good. I used with my dd after I stopped nursing. The price is good too. HTH.

j9_shooter9 04-08-2007 05:55 PM

So, do some kids react to different types? Anyone know about Soy based formulas?

singlemomto3 04-08-2007 06:15 PM

Yes it is totally possible. The first thing is pumping, i don't know if you'd be up for it, if you have to pump and bottlefeed, to me it seems better than formula. Some adoptive parents even get their older infants to latch on with enough time and the right temperment kids. Do a good search on adoptive breastfeeding, there is a really good website, but i can't remember the name

singlemomto3 04-08-2007 06:16 PM

Don't use soy, I have heard bad things about it, do some research on soy and early puberty. I kick myself as my 9 year old is getting older, because she had some soy when she was a baby.

LuAnn 04-08-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j9_shooter9 (Post 934832)
So, do some kids react to different types? Anyone know about Soy based formulas?

Yes, some kids react to different formulas and some react to soy, some need soy....it all depends on the child, some kids can handle anything...
my cousins baby is 3m and after a couple weeks they had to change her formula to soy based because she couldnt handle the other.
GOOD Luck mama:goodvibes:
when do you get the little one? do you know what kind of formula he/she is on now (if he/she is born) maybe you can find out and keep the baby on a comparable formula?

urchin_grey 04-08-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Help me out for our next DD-- formula?? relactating?

Its totally possible to relactate! One can even lactate without having lactating in the past so it will be tons easier since you have before. Kellymom.com has some AWESOME info on relatating and adoptive lactating. :thumbsup: